ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has the Missus drowned the Cup?

172 Cup, Freelander
Hey chaps

Had to go rescue the missus tonight after she phoned saying thye car had lost all power.
Its been raining non stop all day here, and as such there's massive amounts of water about. She was coming the back way home, and the road was more like a river when i got to her. I jumped in and fired it up just as normal, no probs. When driving though the car didn't seem to want to rev, and i kept finding myself having to drop down a gear. After about 5 mins of driving about it seemed to clear, and now seems fine again.

Anything to worry about? Could it just be something to do with the amount of water? It was like rapids on the back roads!

Also, fitted new2 spark plugs 2 weeks ago, could it be owt to do with that?

Ta, fellas

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
where you from? i was working at coniston in lakes today and the roads had dozens of rivers running over them, just as well i was in the works van!

172 Cup, Freelander
Just near Skipton, North Yorkshire.

Just an update - been out in it again and i'm not sure it is down to the water. When you floor it the revs build up to over 2k but then really struggle around 3k. It feels like the brakes are being applied, the nose of the car dips and then it clears and picks up again. If you feather the throttle you can build the revs up slowly and there's no problem.

Also, every now and then theres a weird squeak/whine noise from the engine, just for about a second and then stops.

Dodgy one
Any engine lights at all? Does it sound like a subaru at idle and missing when been driven?

172 Cup, Freelander
Nah no lights on, and it just sounds normal at idle. It was missing the other week and i had it put on diagnostics machine and then changed the plugs which fixed that problem. Its been running fine since then.

It feels a bit like when the mix was out on our old mini. When you floor it its like its flooding. Not saying thats what the problem is, but its the same sensation :S :D

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Did you only change two plugs?

Maybe the other two are shot. Or the coil pack. Or the Leads! lol.

172 Cup, Freelander
Nah changed all 4 plugs! hehe

This feels completely different to when it was missing due to the spark.

The weather might be a bit of a red herring, but i can't help but think that that must have something to do with it. I noticed on the way back tonight that there's a bit of a vibration/rasp from the CAT area of the exhaust that i never noticed before. I wonder if the water has ragged the bottom of the car or something. Does what i'm describing sound like a lambda related problem?

Can't believe i'm gonna have to put it back on machine, was on there two week ago!!! :eek:

172 Cup, Freelander
er...cheap crappy ones as i didn't wanna fork out on the ngk ones until i was sure it was definately the plugs. Doesn't seem like the same kind of misfire as before though. Think its worth changing them again?

172 Cup, Freelander
Just took it to local garage and the reckon it feels like its not getting enough fuel, rather than a spark problem. Any ideas fellas?

172 ph-quick
Have you checked the air filter at all? just wondering if it sucked up a load of water and wouldnt rev properly originally due to a soaked filter. Gradually this has dried out/been sucked through the engine, maybe worth checking the plugs again or possibly the cat but not sure if that could break the cat/lambda sensors?

172 Cup, Freelander
yeah thats gotta be worth a look i think. It seems to get a bit better everytime i go out in it. Will check the plugs again though.

172 Cup, Freelander
they were there above plugs. Just for anyone searching this problem in the future, the problem was the ht leads.