ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hardwearing, economic tyres?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
bad philosophy is cheap tyres. You'll wish you'd forked out when you're in a ditch one day.

Here we go...

How many people do you think buy premium tyres, in all honesty? Probably about 10% of the motoring public, 20% at most, so do the other 80% end up in a ditch every weekend? No.

I have P-Zero's, because I own a performance car, but if I owned a Fiat Panda, or a 1.2 Fiesta, or a Citroen C3, would I be buying the absolute top rubber? No.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
LOL, this got out of hand. I don't see where anyone advocated the use of so called 'cheap' tyres in here. How many of you have actually tried the tyres that you're all slating?

Anyway, IBTL etc etc.

BG Clio 182
Here we go...

How many people do you think buy premium tyres, in all honesty? Probably about 10% of the motoring public, 20% at most, so do the other 80% end up in a ditch every weekend? No.

I have P-Zero's, because I own a performance car, but if I owned a Fiat Panda, or a 1.2 Fiesta, or a Citroen C3, would I be buying the absolute top rubber? No.
When I bought my ford focus 1.6 automatic estate the car came with top rubber. Why the f**k would they do that if they thought you were correct? Because you're wrong maybe? You are right over the entirety of ford I assume?

My 182 also has good tyres on, primarily because I'd mot have bothered with it if it hadn't.
Here we go...

BG Clio 182
This is ridiculous. @Bear Head where did anyone in here advise buying cheapo ditchfinder tyres?
I just get the overall consensus that cheap tyres are fine because it's it's a 1.2? makes no difference. I wouldn't let my fiancee drive her 1.2 with mid range tyres on. Not a chance!

The guy said he doesn't mind forking out? May aswell get decent tyres.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
When I bought my ford focus 1.6 automatic estate the car came with top rubber. Why the f**k would they do that if they thought you were correct? Because you're wrong maybe? You are right over the entirety of ford I assume?

What top rubber was that? Was it some sort of sport performance offering from Michelin or Continental? I'm not saying you don't have to buy from the top brands, I'm saying you don't have to buy the top tyres from the top brands, I advised OP to get some Michelin EcoRun's or whatever they're called, but the way this thread is going people will start saying to get semi-slicks because they increase grip.

I bet your Focus came with a Michelin offering, or such, but I doubt it was the most expensive sports branded tyre they do. Plus big companies have deals with tyres manufactures, they get much cheaper rates.

BMW's come with shitty run flats, are they trying to kill everyone that buys one?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I just get the overall consensus that cheap tyres are fine because it's it's a 1.2? makes no difference. I wouldn't let my fiancee drive her 1.2 with mid range tyres on. Not a chance!

So you don't mind throwing money away then?

How much of a performance/safety gap do you truly believe there is between a mid range and premium tyre?

Tyres need reach certain criteria before being sold so no tyre is going to be that bad unless you drive like a dick.
A 1.2 doesn't need super duper tyres, expesially for a pizza boy doing local trips. Mid range will do perffectly fine in this instance

BG Clio 182
What top rubber was that? Was it some sort of sport performance offering from Michelin or Continental? I'm not saying you don't have to buy from the top brands, I'm saying you don't have to buy the top tyres from the top brands, I advised OP to get some Michelin EcoRun's or whatever they're called, but the way this thread is going people will start saying to get semi-slicks because they increase grip.

I bet your Focus came with a Michelin offering, or such, but I doubt it was the most expensive sports branded tyre they do. Plus big companies have deals with tyres manufactures, they get much cheaper rates.

BMW's come with shitty run flats, are they trying to kill everyone that buys one?
It came with continental sport tyres, they're what I've recently put back on it. I get what you're saying and I do agree. If you're on about a decent brand then fair enough.

Just see my point though. If he could literally pay a tenner more (as he's not adverse to in his OP) he may aswell get a top tyre because on a 1.2, the tyre size and weight rating etc mean even am awesome tyre is cheap?

Not arguing just think tyres are of major importance!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

No one is saying to get the cheapest tyres going because it's not a performance car. I personally don't see the point in putting a high grip, high wear-rate tyre on a car when you can compromise a tiny tiny amount of grip and get so many more miles out of something like a mid-range Kumho.

Put a mid-range tyre against a top end Michelin on Conti in a skid pan and I bet there wouldn't be as significant a difference as most people like to make out.

Edit: Just reading your post above. I'd agree on getting the best you can buy IF the wear rates aren't significantly higher, but from what I've seen before, a lot of high end tyres are simply made for grip and don't last as well. At the end of the day, the softer the compound, the grippier it'll be, but the quicker it will wear.

BG Clio 182
If you're pushing the limits of grip offered by a decent mid-range tyre, on public roads, you need to consider your driving style before you worry about tyres.
You clearly don't drive in a diverse range of conditions like I or the OP does.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Not arguing just think tyres are of major importance!

I agree, I think everyone on this forum would agree. But as Jaff pointed out, the extra offered by premium vs mid-range is only really worthwhile or a proper sports car.

I'd probably run ditch finders on a 1.2, probably be able to have a bit more fun that way.

(I am joking).

BG Clio 182
So you don't mind throwing money away then?

How much of a performance/safety gap do you truly believe there is between a mid range and premium tyre?

Tyres need reach certain criteria before being sold so no tyre is going to be that bad unless you drive like a dick.
A 1.2 doesn't need super duper tyres, expesially for a pizza boy doing local trips. Mid range will do perffectly fine in this instance
Quite a bit. I've been in 1*2's with s**t or midrange type tyres on. They aren't safe to be driven on the road. They don't corner they just spin!

Anyway f***s sake doesn't have to be aren't huge pile in argument just think the philosophy of skimping on tyres or as you put "throwing money away" is stupid.

Spending good money on tyres is certainly not throwing money away lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Quite a bit. I've been in 1*2's with s**t or midrange type tyres on. They aren't safe to be driven on the road. They don't corner they just spin!

Anyway f***s sake doesn't have to be aren't huge pile in argument just think the philosophy of skimping on tyres or as you put "throwing money away" is stupid.

Spending good money on tyres is certainly not throwing money away lol

Then I'd argue the driver wasn't driving to the conditions!

It is throwing money away if you can get a good tyre for x or a bit better tyre for x+y and paying for the bit better tyre when the good tyre will do the job perfectly fine.

Like I said how much of a difference do you actually believe there is between your Goodyear eagle f1 (premium tyre) and a Khumo tyre thats £20 a tyre cheaper?

BG Clio 182
But I drive a 182? The OP drives a 1.2, it has 65bhp, I don't want tyres, the OP does.

I'm sorry OP, I hope you got some tyres from all this.
Lol eh dear you are right and slight troll comes over sometimes. Quite enjoy the banter.

OP get some midrange tyres they'll be fine.

As commented. If you put really good tyres on you won't be able to spin the tyres in moments of madness ;)

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Me?

Lol he does 30k a year. That'll be alllll types of weather then lol. All the more reason for decent tyres.

If he does 30k a year im sure he has a decent job and can afford the extra tenner.

bad philosophy is cheap tyres. You'll wish you'd forked out when you're in a ditch one day.

Driver for Domino's... not the most glamorous job but it does me while I'm studying a degree and I get free pizza :smile: I'm on about £700 a month plus fuel money so while it's not mega, it's enough, but not enough to be burning through super-soft, super-sticky track-esque tyres every 12 weeks.

Either way, you lot will argue over bloody anything. s**t car or not, I don't want to be deaded because I "only have a 1.2 Clio" and bought shitty Chinese crap and aquaplaned into a tree at 60mph in order to save 40 quid.

I don't even know why most of you even give one, it's my money, not yours.

BG Clio 182
Driver for Domino's... not the most glamorous job but it does me while I'm studying a degree and I get free pizza [emoji2] I'm on about £700 a month plus fuel money so while it's not mega, it's enough, but not enough to be burning through super-soft, super-sticky track-esque tyres every 12 weeks.

Either way, you lot will argue over bloody anything. s**t car or not, I don't want to be deaded because I "only have a 1.2 Clio" and bought shitty Chinese crap and aquaplaned into a tree at 60mph in order to save 40 quid.

Genuinely get some decent mid range tyres and really drive to the conditions of both roads and the mechanics of your car as I'm sure you do.

Nothing wrong with job or car, you obviously care as you're on a clio specific *ish* forum looking for advice, which is a good thing.

Mid ranges are fine though, whether they're above or below your budget, all good tyre websites clearly show the different bands of tyres from low to mid to high performance. There's definitely been some good suggestions earlier in the thread as for specific tyre choices.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If your aqua planing your driving too fast for the conditions.
The best tyres won't be much better than any tyres at dispersing the amount of water required to aquaplane a car.

We're not arguing were discussing. And we're trying to save you a bit of dosh so you can spend it on hookers. But if you don't give a s**t then why start a thread anyway? Just go to a tyre place. Say best tyres for these wheels please, pay your money and leave.

But being as you stipulated a budget I guess your not in that sort of position

BG Clio 182
If your aqua planing your driving too fast for the conditions.
The best tyres won't be much better than any tyres at dispersing the amount of water required to aquaplane a car.

We're not arguing were discussing. And we're trying to save you a bit of dosh so you can spend it on hookers. But if you don't give a s**t then why start a thread anyway? Just go to a tyre place. Say best tyres for these wheels please, pay your money and leave.

But being as you stipulated a budget I guess your not in that sort of position
You'll like my non argumentative and very discussing compliant above post [emoji14]

You're right though, water behaviour really never changes.

BG Clio 182
afb92317dcf5097779a90b295cd08c5c.jpg

@Jack!

;)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Driver for Domino's... not the most glamorous job but it does me while I'm studying a degree and I get free pizza :smile: I'm on about £700 a month plus fuel money so while it's not mega, it's enough, but not enough to be burning through super-soft, super-sticky track-esque tyres every 12 weeks.

Lol, as off-topic as this thread has gone, there have been some decent suggestions early on. Anything you put on will be an improvement to what you currently have if they're mismatched ditchfinders though.

Op stipulated hard wearing and long lasting. Also econnomic. So sports tyres wil not be the right choice regardless of what car. If getting four new tyres then it does make some sense to go for the 195/50 r15 size as was metoned a few posts back. I run that size on the dynamique alloys as my winter wheels on the 182. Will be slightly cheaper than the 185/55... so you can get a better tyre for your budget!

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/b...0/R15/V/82/f?gclid=CLCjq_mlycMCFYKWtAodXCoAiQ

I've have ^these falkens^ on my other car (in different size)... my wife drives it with our baby in and I can still sleep soundly at night.

BG Clio 182
Op stipulated hard wearing and long lasting. Also econnomic. So sports tyres wil not be the right choice regardless of what car. If getting four new tyres then it does make some sense to go for the 195/50 r15 size as was metoned a few posts back. I run that size on the dynamique alloys as my winter wheels on the 182. Will be slightly cheaper than the 185/55... so you can get a better tyre for your budget!

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/b...0/R15/V/82/f?gclid=CLCjq_mlycMCFYKWtAodXCoAiQ

I've have ^these falkens^ on my other car (in different size)... my wife drives it with our baby in and I can still sleep soundly at night.
Seems to be going round and round so read above posts lol.

PH2 172
185/55r15 Uniroyal Rainsport3`s,h rated,wet grip A,£45 ish a corner.Get a 2nd pair for the front when they wear out.