ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hardwearing, economic tyres?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Evening all,
I'm in dire need of some boots for my Clio. I've currently got 4 (mismatched!) ditchfinders and even at low speed I'm sliding about. Last week I did a full 360 on a roundabout and nearly hit a lamp post in only light rain with not much standing water.... :neutral: It's not a lack of tread - they've got loads (and passed an MOT) they're just genuinely s**t tyres.

I'm nosing about on Tyreleader and not sure what to get - I need tyres that'll last at least a year (I do about 2.5k a month just at work so 30k over a year or so) and are low resistance with decent wet weather grip as I drive come rain, s**t or shine, even in snow and ice although that's not a worry at this point in the year. I don't want a budget set I'm replacing every 6 months etc - I don't mind paying out for a decent set of premium tyres if they'll last.

Looking about £65 a corner just for the rubber, maybe a little more if they're worth the extra few quid.

Cheers.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Above mentioned are overkill for a 1.2 I'd say, just get a decent midrange tyre - not sure who offers the best right now, but Kuhmo used to be a good midrange brand.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Above mentioned are overkill for a 1.2 I'd say, just get a decent midrange tyre - not sure who offers the best right now, but Kuhmo used to be a good midrange brand.

He has £65 a corner to spend, get the best within that budget, regardless of it being a 1.2. That comment is daft

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I was commenting about a tyre that I have on my car which I rate and isn't a budget tyre, it was an example.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Top of the range tyres make sense on a performance car, but not on all cars, if they did, then no-one would buy anything else.

I'm not saying run on ditch finders, I'm saying maybe get Uniroyal's or Kuhmo's rather than top of the range Michelin or Continental. When I have a budget, I'm not always looking to spend as much of it as I possibly can, I get what offers the best value for money.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Mate it's budget, regardless of what car it is. Op has 65 a tyre, why skrimp? Oh he has a 1.2, lol.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Jesus, just give me a tyre recommendation instead of belittling my choice of car.

Yeah, it's a 1.2. Yes, it's slow. Yes, I do 30k a year in it. I want decent tyres that aren't going to have me around a tree and in the ICU at the suggestion of rain.

I drive 500+ miles a week. Cheap car or not I want decent tyres. I ran expensive tyres on my Yamaha 125 because they were the grippiest, yet the bike couldn't do more than 65.

I don't want a forum riot, I want new tyres before I barrel into a post at 50mph sideways, lose my job, car and potentially my life.

Also I'm pretty sure the poor sod who's pizza I ruin won't be best pleased either.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
You sound like you need grip, fulda, cooper, and some of the mid range tyres are a nice soft compound, offer decent grip at the expense of range.. You might get 8k out of the fronts but you won't die so it's a plus..

Even a cheap Mohawk offers decent grip in the dry for a budget, you just need to get some rain performance in there..

Don't forget it's frigging cold out and no summer or all weather tyres got a hope.. I and a few other guys on here run winters tyres, they perform like heros in this cold/wet/snow..

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
You sound like you need grip, fulda, cooper, and some of the mid range tyres are a nice soft compound, offer decent grip at the expense of range.. You might get 8k out of the fronts but you won't die so it's a plus..

Even a cheap Mohawk offers decent grip in the dry for a budget, you just need to get some rain performance in there..

Don't forget it's frigging cold out and no summer or all weather tyres got a hope.. I and a few other guys on here run winters tyres, they perform like heros in this cold/wet/snow..

True, didn't think about that. Means buying another set of wheels though and that even more money on top of the extra tyres. What minimum temp are summer tyres *supposed* to be used in? Considering we don't really get summer here :smile:

8k is only 3 1/2 months of driving though, I need more out of a set of fronts than that. I'll be blowing my wages on new tyres! :smile:

Cheers, will have a look at these now.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Good tyres on the 1.2 were the difference between me trying to keep up with 172s, and 172s trying to keep up with me. a certain degree of lunacy was required with that though.

You clearly have the budget for it, so I'd be running PS3s all day long.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Good tyres on the 1.2 were the difference between me trying to keep up with 172s, and 172s trying to keep up with me. a certain degree of lunacy was required with that though.

You clearly have the budget for it, so I'd be running PS3s all day long.

I don't mind spending a fair amount on decent tyres, I'd still rather not blow through 4 sets a year though, that's 1000cc sports bike territory that.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Flol at this thread and suggesting performance spec tyres. There's nothing wrong with mid range tyres like @Jack! suggested above. Grip is generally gained from having a softer tyre compound, so why put on the grippiest tyre available when it's just going to wear out quicker.

I have Kumho KH31's on my DCI and I genuinely can't fault them. Done 10k miles in them so far and it looks like there's still about 6mm tread left. What tyre size are you after? I was £67 a corner fitted for them in 195/45r16's, so you'll be a fair bit less for fitting tyres on 15" wheels. Michelin Energy Saver's or Goodyear EfficientGrip are both decent tyres too.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
8k is only 3 1/2 months of driving though, I need more out of a set of fronts than that. I'll be blowing my wages on new tyres! :smile:

This is why I suggested mid-range, good enough to keep you on the road, but you don't want to pay top whack every couple of months for a new set. It's diminishing returns to scale, £20 a corner will be horrendous, £40 will be much better, going to £65 will be better again, but not by as much as the £40 pair were compared to the £20 pair. I'm not belittling your choice of car, I had a 1.2, I ran Kumho's on it, KH17's I think, they were perfectly good enough, I'd of had to drive like a mentalist to slide out on them.

Say a £20 pair get you 5k miles, a £40 pair get you 10k, and a £65 pair get you 12k, you can see how you'd be better off buying the £40 pair more regularly? Unless absolute performance is your aim, which in this case it isn't, it's wear and having 'enough' grip, not enough grip to take it round Silverstone.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
The only tyre I know that can get past 20k on the front is a Michelin..

My old astra van did 30k on the dunlops on the rear... The fronts managed 12k a set.

I got a set of winters on steels and fudge me can you feel the difference in handling in the cold.. I've gone from 18s to 16s which offers grip and lots of feels from the road..

Get some next year..

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Falken Ziex ZE914 are hard wearing, they last for ages and get good reviews. They are not expensive either.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Yeah I may very well do. At the moment though the temp is coming back up, there's no snow/ice etc so I'd only be buying them to not use them for 11 months.

I needed an excuse for some new alloys anyway :smile:

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
To all the people who have suggested PS3's, because that's what you run on your 1*2's - you can't even get them in a size for a 1.2 Dynamique, or any performance tyres regularly mentioned around this place, it's moot. Companies aren't making performance tyres with 65 profile.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
To all the people who have suggested PS3's, because that's what you run on your 1*2's - you can't even get them in a size for a 1.2 Dynamique, or any performance tyres regularly mentioned around this place, it's moot. Companies aren't making performance tyres with 65 profile.

Is there a huge difference in 55 vs 65? I've got 55s at the moment.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Is there a huge difference in 55 vs 65? I've got 55s at the moment.
Don't know about huge difference.

The 65's will probably make the ride smoother, although some might say too smooth and therefore a bit wallow-y/lack of response from the road. That's the thing I miss about my old 1.2, because it did have a higher profile, and the suspension wasn't so hard, it was quite smooth on the road, and felt quite comfortable at high speed.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

Are you saying you can't get PS3s in 195/50/15s?

Don't bother spouting 185/55/15 either - many, many people have and do run 195s on the dynamique alloys.

mk1 Octavia VRS
What size tyres are you after? Sorry if I've missed it.

My dad got 60k miles out of a set of Michelin Energy tyres (90% motorway miles and he drives like James May). They actually grip very well (wet and dry). I have tried them on two small cars that weigh about as much as a Clio.

Track 172 Cup
Had Goodyear efficient grip on my missus fiesta when she was at Uni commuting from Widnes to Edge Hill everyday and then to placement on the Wirral and they lasted well not much sign of wear when I sold it my brother (not sure how long they have left as changed car before they needed doing) and she never complained of any issues in wet/cold conditions, Think the Continentals that came standard on it managed about 25k and the Conti Contact 5 on her new car lasted 24k from new ( I bought it off my brother who took the fiesta in p/x for his missus and she is still using the Goodyears) So if I wanted good mileage/grip I would try those Goodyear or Continentals (think they were pretty cheap too) or any Premium brand in your budget I think a premium brand always works out better. I tend not too bother with Price / Mileage now as she ferries our 6 month old round so I would put premium tyres on hers no matter what.

BG Clio 182
This is why I suggested mid-range, good enough to keep you on the road, but you don't want to pay top whack every couple of months for a new set. It's diminishing returns to scale, £20 a corner will be horrendous, £40 will be much better, going to £65 will be better again, but not by as much as the £40 pair were compared to the £20 pair. I'm not belittling your choice of car, I had a 1.2, I ran Kumho's on it, KH17's I think, they were perfectly good enough, I'd of had to drive like a mentalist to slide out on them.

Say a £20 pair get you 5k miles, a £40 pair get you 10k, and a £65 pair get you 12k, you can see how you'd be better off buying the £40 pair more regularly? Unless absolute performance is your aim, which in this case it isn't, it's wear and having 'enough' grip, not enough grip to take it round Silverstone.
All I'm saying is the only point of contact between you and the road is those four tyres! I've been in 182 with budgets on and to mine there literally isn't a comparison, it's dangerous.

I've also been in a 1.2 corsa running s**t tyres and a 1.2 running better tyres. Wet grip and driving predictability is what you're paying for really.

It's so important. Brakes and tyres. They keep you alive, why skimp when you put them on so infrequently anyway? Why tell the next person who's going to buy your car you don't really like your car by putting budgets or cheapo ones on when for another tenner you can have good ones?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I give up, OP, all tyres that aren't the most expensive you can possibly buy are worthless, completely and utterly and you'd be raving mad to even consider not spending all your money on tyres.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
All I'm saying is the only point of contact between you and the road is those four tyres! I've been in 182 with budgets on and to mine there literally isn't a comparison, it's dangerous.

I've also been in a 1.2 corsa running s**t tyres and a 1.2 running better tyres. Wet grip and driving predictability is what you're paying for really.

It's so important. Brakes and tyres. They keep you alive, why skimp when you put them on so infrequently anyway? Why tell the next person who's going to buy your car you don't really like your car by putting budgets or cheapo ones on when for another tenner you can have good ones?
How many people are going to come to buy your 1.2 Clio, advertised for £1k, and turn away because it's fitted with Uniroyal's and not Pirelli P-Zero's? I mean really?

This guy does 30k a year, he's not putting them on infrequently?

Do people even read the threads they post in these days?

BG Clio 182
How many people are going to come to buy your 1.2 Clio, advertised for £1k, and turn away because it's fitted with Uniroyal's and not Pirelli P-Zero's? I mean really?

This guy does 30k a year, he's not putting them on infrequently?

Do people even read the threads they post in these days?
Me?

Lol he does 30k a year. That'll be alllll types of weather then lol. All the more reason for decent tyres.

If he does 30k a year im sure he has a decent job and can afford the extra tenner.

bad philosophy is cheap tyres. You'll wish you'd forked out when you're in a ditch one day.