ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hardwearing, economic tyres?

Listerine & Poledo
Uniroyal rainsport
Goodyear efficientgrip
Avons

any of those will be cheap and more than sufficient for your needs

Listerine & Poledo
Uniroyal rainsport
Goodyear efficientgrip?
Avons?

any of those will be cheap and more than sufficient for your neeed
I give up, OP, all tyres that aren't the most expensive you can possibly buy are worthless, completely and utterly and you'd be raving mad to even consider not spending all your money on tyres.
da fuq?
Because he doesn't want to fit Yokorelliyear Ultratracksemislick 4.WOWs onto his 1.2 Shopping-edition clio, apartently he's a mental.

Frankly, even the "Sporty" clios dont NEED anything more aggressive than Rainsports.

There;s a difference between OMG!!! Ultracheap yingyong ultraditch 9.1's and the offerings of Hankook, Avon, Dunlop etc.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Uniroyal rainsport
Goodyear efficientgrip?
Avons?

any of those will be cheap and more than sufficient for your neeed

da fuq?
Because he doesn't want to fit Yokorelliyear Ultratracksemislick 4.WOWs onto his 1.2 Shopping-edition clio, apartently he's a mental.

Frankly, even the "Sporty" clios dont NEED anything more aggressive than Rainsports.

There;s a difference between OMG!!! Ultracheap yingyong ultraditch 9.1's and the offerings of Hankook, Avon, Dunlop etc.
It's funny, you've tried to make me look silly, but because you've not read the thread and have just quoted my sarcastic comment, you look silly.

God save me.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
This whole thread went mental when I suggested he only need a decent midrange tyre, as you've just said, but then the whole 'if you don't buy superduper racing Pirelli's then you'll crash and die next time you turn a corner' crew came out.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My only advice on this is don't buy Michelin PS3's if you want 'long lasting' my fronts are down to 4mm after about 4 months! lol (to be fair thats probably more to do with the 350+lb-ft of torque going through them but hey-ho)

BG Clio 182
This whole thread went mental when I suggested he only need a decent midrange tyre, as you've just said, but then the whole 'if you don't buy superduper racing Pirelli's then you'll crash and die next time you turn a corner' crew came out.
By the way mate no hard feelings on my end you're dead right, mid ranges will be fine. If you read some of my above posts pal.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
I ended up going for Conti Eco Contact 5s in 205/55 R16 91H.

55 quid a corner, should be here Monday from Tyreleader. Wanted to try them anyway another member who PM'd me said they were worth paying for so I ended up with them, and they came in under what my max was anyway.

182 ff/ 5 gt turbo
just read the first page of this thread, wow! I Fit/sell tyres for a living, but I'm declaring myself out of this one. Good luck op, if you want some advise on tyres drop me a pm.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

55 quid a corner, should be here Monday from Tyreleader. Wanted to try them anyway another member who PM'd me said they were worth paying for so I ended up with them, and they came in under what my max was anyway.

Great tyre

182 ff/ 5 gt turbo

205 55 16's? That's not a size I've ever seen fitted to a clio. They will knock your speedo off, and in all likelihood rub on the archEs and suspension. I'm not trying to be funny, just don't want to see you waste your money.

The level of fail in this thread is amazing. Like I said, if you need any advise feel free to pm me. Depending where abouts in the county you are, I could even get the tyres supplied and fitted for you.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
just read the first page of this thread, wow! I Fit/sell tyres for a living, but I'm declaring myself out of this one. Good luck op, if you want some advise on tyres drop me a pm.

Cheers, I'll take you up on that if these don't live up to expectations, but I'll have to see. According to DPD they're still in Mechelen in Belgium at the moment :smile:

205 55 16's? That's not a size I've ever seen fitted to a clio. They will knock your speedo off, and in all likelihood rub on the archEs and suspension. I'm not trying to be funny, just don't want to see you waste your money.

The level of fail in this thread is amazing. Like I said, if you need any advise feel free to pm me. Depending where abouts in the county you are, I could even get the tyres supplied and fitted for you.

They're the size I've got on at the moment.... :neutral:

Edit: Arsing hell. Ordered 205s not 185s. ARGH. What I get for ordering tyres at 1AM when I'm knackered. Here's to hoping Tyreleader can swap them before it's too late.

If not, anybody want 4 brand new Conti Eco 5s in 205/55 R16? :smile:

Last edited:
  '20 Zoe, '09 V70
Can you not contact them?
Yeah just emailed them now. I hope they haven't left the warehouse although I've got the tracking number so I don't know if they have or not

Edit: got a reply. I can refuse from the courier for them to be returned.... minus a £25 restocking fee... per tyre! But they've left the warehouse apparently.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I do at least 30,00 miles a year in my Focus, and have used Vredestein Sportrac many times over(car now on 192000) in all weathers and been most satisfied.Have just replaced them with Rainsport 3 and have found them excellent so far in snow, very heavy rain, dry.Also suggest looking at BlueResponse , they are gaining a good reputation.
Wear and grip are mutually exclusive. But without grip, your car driven in all weathers will probably not survive long enough to wear out the long-lasting tyres.

How many people do you think buy premium tyres, in all honesty? Probably about 10% of the motoring public, 20% at most, so do the other 80% end up in a ditch every weekend? No.

I have P-Zero's, because I own a performance car, but if I owned a Fiat Panda, or a 1.2 Fiesta, or a Citroen C3, would I be buying the absolute top rubber? No.

A 1.2 Clio can still enter a corner at a speed higher than suitable for the conditions.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
********DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT SAYING BUY DITCHFINDERS, FOR THOSE THAT ONLY READ THE FIRST SENTENCE IN EVERY POST BEFORE POSTING**********

Something completely controversial that goes against all CS logic - if you never really drive for fun, and most of your driving is during the 9-5 commute, like myself these days, then even ditch finders would probably do the job, I'm not advocating buying them, just playing devil's advocate; as Goodj said, all tyres meet a minimum requirement to be legally sold.

Also, given the way technology moves forward, the ditch finders of today are probably better than the premium tyres of 30 years ago, I wonder if 30 years ago people chose not to drive because they were worried about the quality of tyres.

PH2 172
Cheers, I'll take you up on that if these don't live up to expectations, but I'll have to see. According to DPD they're still in Mechelen in Belgium at the moment :smile:

They're the size I've got on at the moment.... :neutral:

Edit: Arsing hell. Ordered 205s not 185s. ARGH. What I get for ordering tyres at 1AM when I'm knackered. Here's to hoping Tyreleader can swap them before it's too late.

If not, anybody want 4 brand new Conti Eco 5s in 205/55 R16? :smile:
And 16`s as well???????
Right this is hopefully the best advice you are going to get on this.
1)Refuse the tyres when they arrive.
2)Read TYRELEADERS terms and conditions.You have the right to cancel within 7 days.They state that you be responsible for delivery costs only.
Even this is probably not worth the paper it is written on.
Under the Consumer Contract Regulations,which replaced the Distance Selling Regulations in 2014,you have the right to cancel within 7 days,period.
If you feel guilty about the costs they have incurred by your error,negotiate with them,£18 for the 4 is about,and they might let this go if you order the correct size from them.Remember you are not obligated to anyway.Google it all to satisfy yourself.You do need to inform them by Email though.

C)Please take the wheels off your car this weekend and read the width (J) size,rim diameter and offset (ET) on the inside of the rims.Make sure you have a set of 4!,and post them up on here.
That way we can start again.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
And 16`s as well???????
Right this is hopefully the best advice you are going to get on this.
1)Refuse the tyres when they arrive.
2)Read TYRELEADERS terms and conditions.You have the right to cancel within 7 days.They state that you be responsible for delivery costs only.
Even this is probably not worth the paper it is written on.
Under the Consumer Contract Regulations,which replaced the Distance Selling Regulations in 2014,you have the right to cancel within 7 days,period.
If you feel guilty about the costs they have incurred by your error,negotiate with them,£18 for the 4 is about,and they might let this go if you order the correct size from them.Remember you are not obligated to anyway.Google it all to satisfy yourself.You do need to inform them by Email though.

C)Please take the wheels off your car this weekend and read the width (J) size,rim diameter and offset (ET) on the inside of the rims.Make sure you have a set of 4!,and post them up on here.
That way we can start again.

Ugh, I didn't even realise they were the wrong diameter... I'm not thick/blind, honest.:rage:

Right, so here's what I've sent to the CSA person at Tyreleader:
Hi there,

After doing some research I now know I have the right to cancel the order within 14 days under the Consumer Contract Regulations 2014.
From this website: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

It states that:
"Your right to cancel an order for goods starts the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods.
If your order consists of multiple goods, the 14 days runs from when you get the last of the batch.
This 14 day period is the time you have to decide whether to cancel, you then have a further 14 days to actually send the goods back."

I also expect a full refund as the law also states that:
"You should get a refund within 14 days of either the trader getting the goods back, or you providing evidence of having returned the goods (for example, a proof of postage receipt from the post office), whichever is the sooner.

A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which a customer can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop."

As they will be returned exactly as you dispatched them (not even removed from the box) I see no reason to deduct a frankly outrageous sum of money for a restocking fee.

Andrew Williams.

PH2 172
Ugh, I didn't even realise they were the wrong diameter... I'm not thick/blind, honest.:rage:

Right, so here's what I've sent to the CSA person at Tyreleader:

I beg to disagree,but that`s way the dice is loaded against honest sellers.I`m done with eBay & vPaypal et all anyway,all they ever wanted was a larger percentage of global trade.
What the f**k is a CSA person,do they have to be a card carrying CPCS person.
CSA means FO without causing offence.I guess what CS means is Customer Services,I`ll leave up to your imatination what A stands for.
On reflection all I need is a cheap botlte of whiskey,a syringe,a needle and enough smack to finish it all.
Christ,I want some likes from this one.

Last edited:

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Epic thread !
Sun up guy comes on asks for advice on best cheap tyres 30k miles a year .
Causes many arguments and much banter .
Finally decides to get contis.
But realises he has ordered the wrong size tyres ! !
Flol you couldn't make it up ! I love this forum :)

PH2 172
:smile::smile:
Epic thread !
Sun up guy comes on asks for advice on best cheap tyres 30k miles a year .
Causes many arguments and much banter .
Finally decides to get contis.
But realises he has ordered the wrong size tyres ! !
Flol you couldn't make it up ! I love this forum :)

Another assumption,OP only put 30k,never mentioned miles!

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
OP is also a colossal bell.

Now they're not replying because I've told them I'm refusing them and not paying the restocking fee.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
They're open on a Saturday for customer service, apparently according to their website and all communications between me and them have been replied to pretty much instantly barring this one.

Not yet, It's been throwing it down here today and I don't have a drive or anything covered to sit under and do it. Will try tomorrow or Monday (which is my day off).

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Quick update:

They arrived today, rejected them, Tyre leader "conveniently" charge £25 per parcel as P&P when I refused to pay the restocking fee after waving the relevant legislation at them.

I know it's my fault for being a moron but I've basically just given them 75 quid.... (3 parcels - 2 with 1 tyre each and 1 with 2 in).

I sent a final message back after they confirmed I'd be refunded minus the £75 saying:

"Thanks. I could drive them back to the warehouse in Belgium for less than that."

*facepalm*