ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Friend is thinking of getting Clio 172 or 200 SX...

Black Ph2 172
...how do these two cars compare? I reckon standard they are pretty identical in performance, but the Clio would be heaps better on fuel?

Cheers,

Andy

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
200sx is an ASBO chav wagon. Fast, cheap, easy to tune, RWD for da driftinz round Tesco car park. If a 200sx was anything else it would be a pit-bull, or a sovereign ring, hoopy ear rings. Be advised they also have a tendency to park themselves up outside the local Spa and heckle strangers to go in and buy them 10 Mayfair and some White Lightning.

200sx is an ASBO chav wagon. Fast, cheap, easy to tune, RWD for da driftinz round Tesco car park. If a 200sx was anything else it would be a pit-bull, or a sovereign ring, hoopy ear rings. Be advised they also have a tendency to park themselves up outside the local Spa and heckle strangers to go in and buy them 10 Mayfair and some White Lightning.

So other than a Clio being Fwd and not so cheap to tune, there is not much difference tbh.

Nissan 200sx stage 3a
lol! Have you driven a 172? How do these compare??

Yes i have a 172 at the moment and i have had 4 s14a's :approve:
The they do not compare at all i would say you have to have a go in both of them very diffrent cars ;)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)

Must have more upper class chavs where you are then pal! We've just got VTR's and Corsa B's up here!

Nissan 200sx stage 3a

W A N K E R :dapprove:

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I think one car being FWD and another car being RWD is a pretty massive difference in itself tbh.

It's also not a hot hatch. It's also not a turbo. Etc

Clio 1970000000
I don't think you could find 2 more different cars to compare!!! I say it depends on the drivers ability. If the ability is LOW, stay away from the 200sx unless you like going backwards around corners. That doesn't mean the 200sx is a bad car, just that if you have only ever driven FWD cars, you are in for some fun.

Black Ph2 172
So in performance terms what is the difference? What would you rather do a road trip round Europe in (what he's thinking of doing!)??

Nissan 200sx stage 3a
So in performance terms what is the difference? What would you rather do a road trip round Europe in (what he's thinking of doing!)??

Performance the 200sx is easy to tune and you get very good gains.
If i was going on a road trip i would want to be in the sx cos it is 100% more reliable than a clio. ;)

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Standard for standard they are probably slower than an RS, they also rust like hell. Reliability is subjective too, never had a problem in 4 years

Bongo1 why do you take offence when someone tells you the truth there nice cars but they are by people who regularly watch Fast and the Furious whilst shouting Drifto and shouting at there usually pregnant chav GF.

;)

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
if it was me id go for the 172 as the 200sx in my opinion is cheap looking and looks like a boat the clio is more upto date and has a lot more extras. the 200sx is good at 1 thing and thats going sideways.... until u get bored of it and hit a curb lol which ever u buy im sure it wont be hard to sell on if its not ur cup of tea

Nissan 200sx stage 3a
Bongo1 why do you take offence when someone tells you the truth there nice cars but they are by people who regularly watch Fast and the Furious whilst shouting Drifto and shouting at there usually pregnant chav GF.

;)

I have had 4 200sx's. I have been a member of sxoc for years and i no loads of people with them and i have never come by any 200sx owners like how you describe them.
There are a lot more chav's driving clio's than 200sx's :rasp:

I have had 4 200sx's. I have been a member of sxoc for years and i no loads of people with them and i have never come by any 200sx owners like how you describe them.
There are a lot more chav's driving clio's than 200sx's :rasp:

If 200's are so great why are you on a Clio forum though?

Maybe I should go on the SXOC and tell everyone how good my car is?

Nah it OK I'll just sit here and play DRIFTO.

;)

Nissan 200sx stage 3a
If 200's are so great why are you on a Clio forum though?

Because i have a clio :dapprove:

Maybe I should go on the SXOC and tell everyone how good my car is?

Go for it :)

Nah it OK I'll just sit here and play DRIFTO.

Good for you :eek:

Last edited:
  dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
They did have an issue with rusting underneath the car iirc, get your mate to thoroughly check it before he thinks about buying it.

Nissan 200sx stage 3a
They did have an issue with rusting underneath the car iirc, get your mate to thoroughly check it before he thinks about buying it.

Some S13's and s14's have rust problems most of the s14a's dont and a clio would be better on fuel.

Lol, talk about two totally different cars. Stick with the 172, at least it looks pretty good.

R26

i LOL'd!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Ask Kneel, he has both!
200SX.

I don't think you could find 2 more different cars to compare!!! I say it depends on the drivers ability. If the ability is LOW, stay away from the 200sx unless you like going backwards around corners. That doesn't mean the 200sx is a bad car, just that if you have only ever driven FWD cars, you are in for some fun.
This is the huge problem with 200SXs, the rep that they have due to F&F and them being a cheap rear wheel drive car for drift nuts.

I've not had the pleasure of driving an S14/a but the S13 is perfectly capable and very very easy to catch if the back end slips away. I have said it before, and I'll happily say it again, my S13 was every bit as confidence inspiring as my 197 was. My 1st winter in the S13 the back end came out once on a roundabout, and it was very predictable as it didn't snap away. 0-60 wise an S13 is about even with a 172 however from 80-90+ the 200SX would pull away.

The other side is that the clio is newer, better specced, probably safer in a crash and is a good 7-10mpg+ better on fuel than the S13 is. My 172 isn't really a fair comparison as it has leaking rear shocks/binding brakes affecting the performance but so far the 172 sadly hasn't put anywhere near the kinda smile on my face that my 200 can.

EDIT: Regarding the rust, its a huge issue but there are clean ones out there, make sure you have a good look under the car and poke around the sills and the rear wheel arch. A bit of rust isn't too bad but they do rot a lot and try and find one thats been undersealed if you can.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
I'm struggling to think of two more different "performance" cars tbh, depends what he's looking for doesn't it. A small french fwd hot hatch, or a meduim sized (with what feels like the longest bonnet in the history of man) very tunable rwd jap coupe.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
The bonnet is a bit long, everytime my dads drove it he's drove it into the gate coming onto the drive lol.