ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ford content.

06E3E68A-1532-47F7-B4C1-C73675F71D20_zpsxxxs76vy.jpg

Gave the manifold a bit of paint, makes everything look so much tidier.

Bit of an update but no pictures unfortunately.

Had to replace my actuator as the adjustment bar decided to thread it's self, fortunately the wastegate stayed open after it happened and I limped it home. Had to have a custom made actuator rod made by a lad off RSOC.com because the one that came with the new actuator was too short and the rod from the old actuator was FUBAR'd.

While I was playing with that I decided to re-plumb the boost solenoid back in (car had been ran direct for years) even the previous owner bought it like this. Straight away the car was just overboosting ridiculously, so I had rebuild the actuator back up with the softer yellow spring and I bought a new boost solenoid. The car now drives infinitely better, making full boost around 3.3k rpm rather than the 4.5k rpm before. It behaves much more like a turbo'd car now with the massive kick up the arse, where as before the boost came in progressively making it feel more like NA. The car won't be any quicker but it's just a lot more fun to drive now.

Decided to spray my FMIC black, I've always wanted to do it but was a little worried about it effecting the cooling properties of the intercooler, guess time will only tell if it does.

8B189688-FC9A-40BE-BBC3-F1000CB6CC67_zpsf3bglhf8.jpg

Front bumper and intercooler off again, hate taking the front bumper off as it's a right pain in the arse and fiddly.

4E89470D-8960-42F7-B568-465C9C7A277D_zpsy3fifuom.jpg

Intercooler painted.

0134EE53-F43B-4092-A2FD-348BB6533999_zpsglm71udb.jpg

All back together. Looks miles better IMO, due to the size of the void behind the grill and the intercooler not filling it, it kind of made the car look buck toothed lol.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Looks 100x better black and I'm sure that it isn't detrimental to performance either.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Yeah if the fins start to get blocked then it's not going to cool as well, but a quick blow over I'm sure will be reet!

Just been out in it and the intercooler appears to be working properly, intake temps are the same as before. Winner!

That's a surprise. Oh wait, no, that's not a surprise at all. Not even slightly ;)

Does looks much better black though, looks like a tidy job of it too.

Seeing as we've had exceptionally good weather today I decided to crack on with the next job, split inner CV boots both nearside and offside were split. Noticed these had split a few months ago but as they weren't leaking grease it wasn't an urgent job.

Quite clearly the ball joints or driveshafts have never been removed in the 10 years the car has been on the road as they were a complete pig to remove. Pinch bolts needed drilling out and to remove the ball joint from the hub took a crow bar and my full weight on it to get them to split. Removing the driveshafts from the hubs took a lot of effort but after much swearing and perseverance I finally had the driveshafts out.

96CB6581-0AB0-4DCA-BE9A-414682A5EA11_zpsjp2nffrf.jpg

56361839-AD37-4FB4-8343-4F490EF12302_zpswdjqmosl.jpg

Next up was to remove the snap ring holding the CV joint together, then split the CV joint so I could remove the old boot and fit the new one. I'd got side tracked by this point and completely forgot to take any more pictures.

Car is now all back together, took longer to do than it should have really due to the problems encountered but it's a job I'm glad is out of the way.

Update:

I was having a few issues with the coolant temps getting a little high since the weather has warmed up lately, nothing that would damage the engine but higher than I'm comfortable with. Decided to change the 92degree thermostat for an 88degree thermostat.

Old stat out

BB6759CD-A1CE-4737-B868-21D6C14FF3C3_zpsbvyodmbp.jpg

353257D4-C842-48DA-87CB-A32C76BB7BD4_zpsbcyioe93.jpg

I've also replaced the old coolant header tank as I found a slight weep on one of the outlets.

Old coolant header tank
659A924C-D252-4006-BA0F-B1A106A8A30D_zpsozkj4meq.jpg

New coolant header tank fitted.

BC61FEEA-0B8D-482B-9F72-76CBBADB2834_zps0helihd9.jpg

I also flushed the old coolant out and refilled with new. Car is running cooler now but I just think it's down to the warmer weather temps mixed with the fact these Zetec engines run pretty hot.

I'm back at EFI again on Saturday to find out what it's doing power wise with the boost solenoid plumbed in as the car is definitely quicker now so it'll be interesting to see the difference. I'm also booked on at Oulton on May 27th, fingers crossed it doesn't end up the same way the Clio did. lol

Jesus Jon you're basically a fully fledged mechanic these days. Good work. ;)

Lol. Just learning as I go along, all part of the fun.

Results from EFI yesterday

taza4y4u.jpg

I've lost 6bhp peak but gained 47lbs ft of torque and it peaks much earlier in the rev range. The car is much quicker across the ground in it's current form.

Focus RS mk1
Love reading your updates, here and on rsowners club. How much different is it when boost comes in compared to when running direct? Ive got few things planned for mine soon, turbo technics hybrid, got a pro charge cooler rad to go on then a cheeky map from sabre i think, also looking to upgrade to DW fuel pump as the old ford ones are known to fail on high milers.

Love reading your updates, here and on rsowners club. How much different is it when boost comes in compared to when running direct? Ive got few things planned for mine soon, turbo technics hybrid, got a pro charge cooler rad to go on then a cheeky map from sabre i think, also looking to upgrade to DW fuel pump as the old ford ones are known to fail on high milers.

Tbh I've been slacking with my project thread on RSOC.com lol

Boost is a lot more aggressive through the boost solenoid, get a very satisfying kick up the arse, when direct it was more like NA. It's just progressive boost which seemed to take forever to get the car going.

Yeah I've upgraded to the DW pump in mine as mine had started to fail, they can start failing after 60k miles, mine was misfiring when I was low on fuel and it wouldn't start unless I had at least a quarter of a tank.

Mine came black, so nope.

I thought you were getting them refurbed?

Totally irrelevant if it's OEM or not, we both have black wheels and both look decent regardless of what you say lol. Same goes for the black painted bit on the rear bumper.

I will get them refurbed at somepoint as they're getting a little ropey in places, the colour will depend on what ever my mind is set on at the time lol

Kind of is relavent though. OEM & OEM+ is an awesome look.

I can already hear you accusing me of copying Chris though, so I'll say no more.

No no, Chris copies you.

But back on topic, you can't say something is s**t when you drive around with the exact same things on your own car. Lol.

Doesn't matter anyway, I won't be swayed by others opinion, so it's a fruitless task trying to convince me otherwise.

You're missing the point. Chris isn't saying he hates black wheels, he's saying he hates black FRS wheels.

Thus it's not the "exact same thing" and furthermore it does mean he can say they're s**t.

HTH.

You're missing the point. Chris isn't saying he hates black wheels, he's saying he hates black FRS wheels.

Thus it's not the "exact same thing" and furthermore it does mean he can say they're s**t.

HTH.

Wrong yet again Ed, you truly have it down to fine art ;)

Now please take your broken back to your own thread :)

This arrived yesterday
8y7a8e5e.jpg

So once again I had to dismantle the front end
8evu3ujy.jpg

Only 30+ bolts and nuts to remove to get it to this stage lol.

Couple of old vs new pics showing the core size difference

yhuma7yn.jpg

evuhy6ap.jpg

Then I had to mount the fan housing to the new rad
a4yrehuq.jpg

Took a bit of drilling and jigging about to mount it but wasn't anything too difficult.

Next up was to spin the turbo housing back, due the thicker rad it was fouling on the rad.

Intake pipe removed had turbo housing span back
zabeva5a.jpg

Intake pipe refitted and a lot more room between it and the rad.

a3umu8ym.jpg

Coolant is all bled up and the car is back together, just waiting on a Vac hose to turn up now before I can test the rad on the road.

Next up Cylinder Head Temp sensor. Been getting a few strange readings from the scangauge so the sensor was the 1st thing to change.

Bit of a pig this job as the sensor is located in the back of the head under the inlets and infront of the alternator.

1st removal of the inlets.
8e9u8eqa.jpg

Then removal of the sensor.
a2yvygu7.jpg

Someone clearly has had ago at it before as it was nicely chewed up making it a b**ch to remove

najadytu.jpg

New sensor fitted

be7ypupu.jpg

Car is all back together now and I'll see if it's made a difference to the readings later on

802ABC4E-F270-433A-8130-C5F62B9BC241_zpss9qflusd.jpg

Turbo Cooler fitted, didn't take any progress photos as I kept expecting it to rain yesterday during fitting lol

All this does is cool the coolant down after it's come out the turbo just before it goes back in to the engine, I was a little sceptical of it working but I have seen a decrease in coolant temps when pushing on with it fitted.

Few shots from Oulton Park.

ML1_0473-2_zpse826cca5.jpg

ML1_0474-2_zps23bbfc09.jpg

ML1_0846-2_zps38eed20d.jpg

ML1_0896-2_zps88de1b93.jpg

Car is in desperate need of coilovers if I do anymore trackdays, I was getting a lot of lean in the corners and the handling was compromised, I imagine the standard shocks have seen better days too.

Been a while since an update but I've now replaced the worn out suspension which I managed to trash on track with some BC coilovers.
image-2_zps888adaaa.jpg

image-1_zps0ac722ce.jpg

A very good set up for the money IMO, fully adjustable (height and damping stiffness) come with solid top mounts with camber adjustment too. I've replaced the track rod ends and and front drop links too as the nearside one was completely shot and was causing knocking. It's roughly 10mm lower than it was previously, I'll get some photos of the new height at somepoint.

image_zps95b1d663.jpg

Next to change are the front brake discs which I managed to warp at Oulton. lol