ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO motorsport boyos/trackday warriors - tyres

Lionel Richie
right was contemplating buying some uber s**t 15inch tyres - such as Wangli's or Loveyoulongtime's etc (on the idea that track days will be more fun with less grip!)

but then i saw sense

slicks

anyone used the maxsport RB5's? (remanufactured aka remoulds) road legal and e marked

£70 a corner?

yay or ney?

Lionel Richie
yeah had a nose at the silverstones, but couldn't find any prices on tinternet

(sod paying over £100 for an R888, when proper slicks can be had for £150 a corner)

the silverstone tyres look good never tried them myself but heard really good report, i think there close quality to dunlop without the name on the side and about 30 quid cheaper. if there was a group buy going im sure id have 4 or 6 slicks ...

i use dunlop tyres, DZ03G's (100 + vat each), Full wet and slick (134 + vat each)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
right was contemplating buying some uber s**t 15inch tyres - such as Wangli's or Loveyoulongtime's etc (on the idea that track days will be more fun with less grip!)

but then i saw sense

slicks

anyone used the maxsport RB5's? (remanufactured aka remoulds) road legal and e marked

£70 a corner?

yay or ney?
The RB5's are meant to be very good.

Lionel Richie
  Lotus Exige, 182
i believe you've been told a bit of internet hearsay, granted yes they're going to cause extra stress, but who cares! its a track car!

cup racers ran stock lower arms and ARB bushes

It would be the clutch I'd be more worried about though. Surely the racers run uprated ones? For example, I've never liked the way mine feels at the end of a track day when I've been running r888s, almost like its slipping - whereas I don't get the same issues running standard PE2s (although wear rates are higher!).

Lionel Richie
aye fair point, never had a problem with the clutch, but then again heal and toeing helps massivley IMO

put a r****d standard driver (such as warren's brother!) behind the wheel and the clutch won't last the day!

Lotus Exige, 182
Maybe that's the problem I can't heal and toe without giving it some serious thought, which I can't do at track speeds. Equally, I don't ride the clutch like warren's brother did at Bedford!

For what it's worth, I was chatting to Mark Fish about running slicks when I had my last service and he didn't recommend doing it without uprating the clutch. But Dave has probably got more insight into Mark's views.

Lionel Richie
i've been doing it for years, no bother so far, luckily for me its a 4hr job to change one on my car, box normally comes out every 12-18months for an overhaul, i always change the clutch when the box is out, dumb not too

(i refuse to spend £400 on a helix!)

my Track182 is on 48k miles now and seen a lot of track miles on simi slicks, as far as im aware its on a standard clutch, i brought it on 20k miles and ive never changed the clutch. It all depends on how you down-change....