ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track day tyres

Silver Clio 172 Cup
OK - I now have two sets of wheels:

16" for road and wet track use. I've got Toyo T1-Rs on these.
15" for track use, but need to be road legal so I can get to/from the track

I'm looking for tyre suggestions for the 15" set. Ideally I'd like to get some cheapo track tyres like maxsport RB5 or Colway F2. They need to be road legal, durable and not too expensive. Anybody used these or got any better ideas? If so, where to get them and prices? I've seen the Colways for £41 each which sounds pretty good to me. I know they're remoulds but that doesn't bother me. I just want something fairly grippy with stiff sidewalls and which won't melt on track after 3 laps. No point spending a fortune on track day tyres, so I'm not interested on Yoko 48s or Toyo 888s etc unless I can get them cheap.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Cheers

RS Clio 200
kuhmos seem to be a good set... pm sm_wrc he uses these on track....
you could always just stick the set in back of the car and put track ones on at the track

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Thanks - I'll drop him a line. Which Kumhos are they?

Kumho Ecstas are probably worth buying for the name alone.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Those are the two alternative's I've got lined up for when my A032's and D01J's are past their best.

I've personally no idea what they're like...but for the price it's worth a punt.

Where can you get Colways at £41 a corner?

I agree about the remould/tread thing...they're FIA approved after all.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
I googled for the Colways and got that price but can't find it again now! I'll look again but they seem to get mixed reviews from people who reckon they're a rally stage tyre so they melt too quickly on track. Maxsport RB5 are quite cheap - about £45 plus VAT from demon thieves so it should be possible to get them cheaper elsewhere.
The alternative is used slicks but they have nasty manners and I don't have a cage so that would count out some of the more reputable TDOs.