ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fantoms budget PH1 Track car

RenaultSport 172
Well I thought I'd write up my project so far. Still plenty to do:

After not having a clio for about 3 years I had the opportunity to get a car just for fun and a few track days. I've owned two 172's before:

Fantom97606916702.jpg

and
Fantom26926667474.jpg

So this time it had to be a PH1.
I spent ages looking for a decent one but in the end I got fed up of waiting and bought a fairly standard one with 114k miles!

sahXNH.jpg

qjxM0Q.jpg

On the drive home I found out the wheels were tat. Lots of vibration. I went to get them balanced and two of them were buckled.
So annoying as I wanted to keep the F1's

First job was to remove that knackered rear wiper, and I also changed the rear lights to PH2 as I prefer them:

GD6FT2.jpg

I had to get the wheels sorted pretty quick as I found I also had a slow puncture. Searched about for deals and ended up collecting these Inovit 15s with Yoko AD08s

H6fyPS.jpg

Needless to say, they were not very well received on here! Not my favourite wheels either but they were a bargain and almost new.

Next step was to start stripping out the rear interior etc:

GQ5HVN.jpg

DwcQZ5.jpg

XSDy2Q.jpg

And even though the steering wheel was in good condition, it had to go!

7rSjyw.jpg

VbT2Yn.jpg

Next up was the seats. Unfortunately I'm trying to do this on the cheap so I bought some OMP TRS seats. One of the cheapest out there but still cost nearly £500 with the subframes & side mounts etc:

XTpBgV.jpg

Suspension was next. Got these SPAX RSX second hand from Stu on here:

rYt6Mn.jpg

LKx9rV.jpg

CpBvTS.jpg

Fit the rears and had terrible trouble with the fronts. Had to give up in the end and took them to a garage. Even they had a nightmare. I picked it up from them on the day of its first track outing at Brands Hatch:

4YLBhr.jpg

yGQz2Y.jpg

T0Jj9m.jpg

The car was great, but the brakes were shocking. I mean really pants.

To rectify this I removed the fog lights for a bit of cooling and I also bought some HEL braided lines and replaced the fluid.

t7f2Xx.jpg

Then I had to do something about the wheels. A bargain set of OZ superleggeras came up. I had to have them:

hNb2mV.jpg

I had these refurbed and powercoated gloss black. Then I went off to my first track day at Snetterton:

n5BpYv.jpg

RfKcHX.jpg

smHvF9.jpg

Again the brakes were shocking. Like really bad. Came off the track a couple of times. Had to brake super early in the end so it took some enjoyment out of the day.

Despite having nearly new pads I just had to change them. I got a super bargain on here with some Brembo HC discs and Ferrodo DC2500 pads.
Got them changed over and some Motul RBF600 fluid
This helped but it was only when I had my MOT I found out the brake imbalance was 45%!
One of the sliders was totally seized so I bought a second hand caliper, painted it red to match the other side. Fitted this when swapping the brake fluid and then finally I had brakes that worked properly!

RenaultSport 172
The headlights were pretty yellow so I wanted to clean them up. I got the 3M restoration kit and it really helped:

4jbP2C.jpg

xkG6nY.jpg

0RKYVb.jpg

wJaMRH.jpg

I wasn't sure about these graphics I had put on either. I have now removed these

JN1pr9.jpg

Bought some speaker ports to make into fog light ducts. Didn't bother with any ducting yet as I removed the arch liners anyway

xLWq5T.jpg

In July I did the Renaultsport evening at Bedford. I had a fantastic time. Proper nice sunny day as well. For the first time the car felt perfect on track. The brakes were fantastic, it handled well and it was great fun:

gRYskf.jpg
NJL5mq.jpg

PxXwAp.jpg

x6Hkwz.jpg

The track day showed up another couple of issues for me though. The main one being the gearstick. I'm 6'5" tall and the car had a B & M quick shift on it which is quite short. I was finding myself having to bend forward and down to reach it properly.
Luckily after the PMS shifter group buy, I was able to buy Swede Cups old Yanoo fast road shifter. This is a couple of inches longer than the standard gearstick and has made the world of difference. Unfortunately I have no pics of that.

Another issue was the wheel nuts coming loose. I wanted spacers anyway, and I managed to get a set from Steve @ rsports cars. I didn't realise until I got home that he'd also included a stud and nut kit.
Got the 15mm spacers fitted to the front, but not used them on track yet.

5xAN4T.jpg

jc7yVX.jpg

I also have stud and nuts for the rear to fit and 10mm hub spacers with 1 degree of camber. I'm still not sure whether to fit these rear spacers or not. If I do I might need to increase the size of the front ones.

Another little mod I did was the Evol engineering gearbox mount. My car did clunk a bit from pulling away etc. It probably needs the other mounts replacing too but I added this one for the time being:

27VvWn.jpg

kaAv9L.jpg

Had to add this sticker too :)

CRgcpz.jpg

Love this photo from a recent meet:

10889522236_7fbace3296_c.jpg

RenaultSport 172
I went to the Essex rolling road day in July. It was very hot and the car scored the lowest figure of the day, 161bhp. Not terrible, but I was hoping for a bit more. At least there's room for improvement I guess.
Got some redex to stick in it when I go out next. But will try changing the spark plugs also. No idea when they were last done.

gMSLKW.jpg

Cup In bits
Good to see your getting some use of my shifter.

Glad you changed them wheels too, definite marmite stuff.

RenaultSport 172
I had to make the seat lower as it was still too high.
I had already cut the subframe, but went a bit more extreme but removing the original seat rail and welding in new ones. Luckily my brother is handy with a welder but I still managed to ruin the floor when removing the original rail. Lots of holes through the floor!

3FpJZ6.jpg

jgKQyT.jpg

Kga6hf.jpg

vGwB6b.jpg

Seat is mounted much lower now, but the passenger seat is far too high! Going to fix that when the temperature starts going up again.

I also bought a rear seat belt buckle from a Citroen to replace my pretensioned Renault one. I bolted this through the original seat mounting hole so now I can thread the seat belt through the side holes in the seat. Much safer and tighter. I also bought a CG lock to use on the next track day.
Unfortunately I cannot use harnesses as I am too tall. My shoulders go way above the holes in the seat.

One last image for the moment, and this should show all the costs involved so far.
Its crazy how quickly they add up. I could have just bought a second hand car with a much better spec, but part of the fun is doing bits myself.

hWs9vp.jpg

Plans are to:

1. Lower the passenger seat
2. Fix exhaust which hangs far too low
3. Relocate battery to the boot
4. Home made induction kit and airbox
5. Possible remap or RS tuner
6. More track days!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
this is why I have never and will never do a cost breakdown on any of my projects, just too damn scary to think about!lol!

nice work though :)

RenaultSport 172
Yes you're right there. I can't see me getting rid of this for a while. Hopefully will get to a few more track days this year and use it for its real purpose.
Still lots of little jobs to do on it but don't get a lot of time these days. And sod working on it in the winter!

I fancy having a go at making some rear door cards to tidy it up. Possibly paint inside too.

I didnt mention losing the air con either. Really want to lose the weight as it doesn't work anyway. Just don't fancy spending a fortune on it and I'm a bit unsure about doing it myself as well. Seems like a hard job to do?

A nice lick of paint and some door cards really tidies it up.

Just remember to to remove the sound deadening patches before hand ;) a good 13kg there to lose.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice. I see you go to a few SE meets but I've not been to one where you are too see yours in the flesh.

Car sits nice on the 15mm spacers. Stud and nut kit is what I'd like to do, so much easier for wheel changes.

Might be worth having a word with Jacob (The Russian) off here regarding aircon as he did it on he's ph1.

RenaultSport 172
A nice lick of paint and some door cards really tidies it up.

Just remember to to remove the sound deadening patches before hand ;) a good 13kg there to lose.

Yes definitely! Can't believe how much they weigh. Won't be doing the roof though. That's a job for a nice summer day

RenaultSport 172
Dr Jekyll
the stud and nuts I have are only cheap ones I think but I'll soon how they go on track. If I have any trouble I'll probably get the pure Motorsport ones.

I'm sure we will bump into each other at a meet soon. Will be good to see your ph1

RenaultSport 172
They've been fine. I use them on the hardest setting for track and the softest for the road. Not tried any other coilovers for reference but I'm pretty happy with them

I have seen some bad feedback about them but I've certainly had no problems yet

RenaultSport 172
I think the one I bought was slightly too long iirc. However it ain't coming out in a hurry. I actually bought a pack of two so if you PM me your address I'll post the other one to you

RenaultSport 172
Do you remember what size speaker ports you bought for the brake ducting mate?

Hi. Sorry, just checked my ebay and the history doesn't go back far enough for me to check. I just removed the fog light from the surround and measured from that what would be best. Then had to hacksaw most of the back of the surround off. I used no nails to glue the port into the fog surround and gave it a quick spray with gloss black.
Just had a a quick look on ebay and it looks like you can buy the perfect thing now. Search on there for air intake

Hi. Sorry, just checked my ebay and the history doesn't go back far enough for me to check. I just removed the fog light from the surround and measured from that what would be best. Then had to hacksaw most of the back of the surround off. I used no nails to glue the port into the fog surround and gave it a quick spray with gloss black.
Just had a a quick look on ebay and it looks like you can buy the perfect thing now. Search on there for air intake

Cheers buddy!

Car is looking sweet, have you got more plans for it?

RenaultSport 172
Yeah got a few odd jobs to do. I removed the passenger airbag but I still need to glue the cover back into the dash. I want to lower the passenger seat and improve the seat belt on that side.
Quite fancy a set of clean number plates.
I have also cut holes out behind the front plate for cooling but I need to get the front bumper off to remove all the plastic crap from inside the bumper

I'd really like to remove the air con so that might be a job for the summer
i reckon I might relocate the battery as well so I can make an induction kit for it and heat shield.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Looks great matey,

I'd get that rust seen too though before it starts rotting the car.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Got my cage from here http://www.alachi57.com/1.html guy called Alan. There's been multile threads about his cages, he can make them out of cds tube if requested iirc. I paid £200 for a bolt in rear half, double diagonal and harness bars.

RenaultSport 172
Yeah it's a good price but just not high on the priorities really. Maybe when I've finished the other bits I want to do

RenaultSport 172
Small update today:

This arrived in the post from PH1 Tom
Ds49kV.jpg

The I got the dash top off to glue the airbag cover into it:

AagTd9.jpg

While the glue dried I had a go at these with a hammer & screwdriver:

0HmAMn.jpg

Came off fairly easily:

yrpjZ5.jpg

This was just 1 patch:

2rwj8F.jpg

I counted about roughly 14 patches visable which adds up to about 4kg.....

Got bored though and left it like this:

cD1JnV.jpg

Dash top back in..........doesn't look pretty! But maybe I can tidy this up a bit in the future. Although to be honest I'm wondering whether to just not have the dash top at all lol

nC75Ph.jpg

That't it for today folks