ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fantoms budget PH1 Track car

RenaultSport 172
Had another little play with the clio this weekend.
Bought myself a set of clean plates from MarcR
I never really liked the pressed plates that were on the car when I bought it

Before
61a9mQ.jpg

After
WHZqLg.jpg

Couldn't do the rear yet as I need some sticky pads

Then I decided to modify the interior a bit.

Started moving all the wires to the cigarette lights, hazards etc

ZnxdQ3.jpg

Now need to remove this........

f64p9Z.jpg

Can anyone help? Do I just cut the wires back and tape them up? Don't want to bugger anything up

Then I cut this plastic junk up and took it indoors to make a template

5wBmFh.jpg

And the finished product:

m5JL0H.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Took the car to Snetterton with my mate in his Fiesta ST.
Car performed great and at last I didn't have any problems with loose wheel nuts!

Just need to tidy up the interior now, lose the aircon, and book more track days!

Arzmhf.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Changed the rear plate yesterday.
Some nugget had used a load of glue to hold the old one on as well as the proper fixing pads

1SmYCF.jpg

Managed to scrape it all off and on with the new one. I think I have stuck it a bit high but nevermind. Much better looking plate

1k79F5.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Another update :)

Had some time recently to remove the air con system with a second hand pms delete kit I got on here.
Stripping the car down was easy, but it made me realise what an absolute heap this car is. Clips just snapped, bolts and screws were rusted to buggery etc.
Anyway I got most of the job done:

bWgzvS.jpg

XtynSk.jpg

98RBKh.jpg

SKRdbP.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Then I got stuck! The instructions did not mention the aux tensioner bolts being some weird female star rubbish. I managed to get one bolt out with a 10mm spanner but the other had already been knackered by a previous monkey!
I had to give up at this point as I went on holiday so I came back to it a week later.
My brother welded a 9mm socket onto a bar for me and then he filed it into a star shape. It worked perfectly on the nice bolt, but the one stuck in the car was too damaged. Luckily I did manage to get it out with this home made bodge tool by crushing it on the bolt with a crowbar as I turned it.

Why use these?!?!

9NBbGW.jpg

Then I was able to get rid of the old alternator bracket and I mounted the new one

RAZFLB.jpg

All back together again :)

fPVGp3.jpg

While the bumper was off I drilled some holes in the plastic under the headlight

71xgVT.jpg

Then I cut the slat out of here:

Sbgzsm.jpg

Just needs a bit of tidying up when I get time. I also removed all the plastic junk from inside the bumper.

So for anyone considering removing the aircon, here's the weight loss figures:

5A7L2t.jpg

dMwFVG.jpg

DXNy91.jpg

kn5Jgv.jpg

pYSWyF.jpg

xdVN5j.jpg

That comes to a total of 14.2 kg's. And I haven't taken the other rad out yet so a bit more weight to come out when I get round to it.

Unfortunately I haven't driven the car since I've done it so no idea if it makes any difference or not!

RenaultSport 172
Oh I forgot to add that I also removed the carbon canister which was almost another 1kg saved lol (included in the figure above)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I take it that you have already removed the lump of steel just below the engine mount?

172 cup, Impreza P1
That funny star shaped thing needs a female torques bit. You can get them at most hardware stores for about £3 or £4 depending on size.

RenaultSport 172
Not been much happening with the car over winter.
However I just had the alignment sorted as this was something I never did! Only £19 on group on.
The rear was spot on to start with which is very rare the guy said. The front just needed a bit of tweeking:

Fmn7kp.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Got some goodies waiting for slightly warmer weather
New oil, filter & drain plug and a nice new throttle cable. Can't wait to get the old one off as its really bad.
ApWHd0.jpg

RenaultSport 172
I put a order in from Reno this week and forgot the throttle cable, I was gutted as it makes such a difference!
Got mine from K-tec. £31.40 I think
I need to remove my strut brace as its rubbed against the cable and worn away the rubber. Driving in traffic is a right nightmare as the revs never drop down properly.
Need to do the oil & filter before the 28th also as per @barnesautos

The car really needs a good run. Over winter it has been doing very short journeys to work & back. I keep worrying the battery will go flat!

RenaultSport 172
Had a bit of time this weekend to do a few jobs.
Started by removing the strut brace. I'm going to sell it at it gets in the way of the throttle cable and I think it has accelerated its demise.

The bay now looks like this:
BTCrkw.jpg

Shame about the holes where the brace was mounted.

Then I had this a nice uprated engine mount to fit courtesy of @Chambers_RS
9Y2kMX.jpg

3 year old cambelt looks ok. Only done 4k miles!
jKrBMR.jpg

Removed this lump of metal. Another KG saved lol
0GYBjg.jpg

All fitted :smile:
K8CRc9.jpg

I also had this gearbox mount to fit:
qZAxrC.jpg

ABkDb2.jpg

Got the new mount fitted ok but what a nightmare after that!!!
I fit the lower bracket to the gearbox, slotted the mount over the spindle and then I couldn't get the 4 bolts back into the upper bracket. I could fit 2 of them but the other two wouldn't line up. The gearbox must have moved slightly. I spent about an hour mucking about with it but couldn't get it sorted. I'm gonna need another pair of hands to wrestle it into place while I put the bolts back.
Looking forward to a test drive to see what it's like.
The only bad thing is that the mounts that came off don't look too bad. There was definitely a bit too much engine/gearbox movement though so hopefully it will be a lot better.

That's it for now.
Got to fix the rust, change the throttle cable and give it a machine polish to see if I can improve the faded paintwork.

Clio RS
Can you do me a favour

Could you take a Picture in the top of youre alternator that i can see the distance between alternator Pulley and Alternator! Would be great.

Clio RS
Damn a litle bit more to the left. Need the distance between Alternator Pully and Alternator.

Would be great....thanks a lot.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
@william... this help?
IMG_1452_zpseerjwc9l.jpg
IMG_1395_zpsuzewrmbd.jpg

I know it was a really long time ago but you need to keep the airbag ECU as the diagnostics run through it. I've removed all the airbag wires from mine and will be tucking it up in the dash to make it all a bit cleaner :)

RenaultSport 172
So after seeing @Ph1 Tom 's little rust problem I had a check of my car and found exactly the same problem. I don't think the outside paint bubbling was there when I bought the car so I do think this rust has accelerated since stripping the interior out.

This is the passenger side
cwkCn8.jpg

And this is my delaying tactic:
ScJVPj.jpg

After one coat.
Tx760S.jpg

The drivers side was much worse. It has really fell apart
kv8cja.jpg

Pulled these bits out!
wmALjb.jpg

And coated as best I could. Not much room to move your hand about down there
TJWvs8.jpg

Here's what the drivers side looks like on the outside
Wq3HPF.jpg

I used a touch up pen which did not end up the same colour at all! It looks awful now

And this is what the rear jacking point looks like!
cYzSAJ.jpg

NjLcCY.jpg

Oh dear!!!
I don't know if what I've done will make any difference at all but I'm hoping it will slow it down a bit.
The value of this car means that I won't spend hundreds on welding and resprays in a body shop so it looks like I will use and abuse it as long as I can, then strip it and scrap it.
Luckily it still works and drives quite nicely but I don't think it will get much use for the rest of this year as baby no 2 is due in 3 days!