ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

exhaust light and eggy smell

hi all

i've already searched but not been able to find any answers specific to my issue.

i bought a clio 182 this morning. got 1 month warranty for free and i drove it home with girlfriends dad (i.e. carefully) all was fine. as soon as i dropped him off, i went to see what it could do (i.e. put my foot down) all was fine. parked it up and left it for a couple of hours. then went to pick my girlfriend up from college, on the way the emissions light comes on flashing. i think nothing of it as after a few minutes, it stops and i take girlfriend home. then from her house to mine, it starts straight away and doesnt stop till i turn engine off. then went to morrisons and it did it all the way after about 30 seconds. got out at morrisons and there was a horrible smell of rotten eggs. i think, from my limited knowledge of car exhausts, that the probable cause is cat converter (lamda sensors were changed less than 2000 miles ago). the exhaust also blows air, then nothing, then blows, then nothing. don't think that's normal.

main thing i want to know is if this is a likely cause and also, how much to fix it? i know i said it's under warranty but the garage is quite far away and from the smell just from a mile's drive was horrendous so wouldn't want to risk driving 30 miles.

any idea on prices for a cat and will that stop the blowing?

just one more question aswell...would that cause a drop in performance? i've only had car 12 hours so im not sure on ins and outs of it but it seems to be abit less powerful?

ph1 172
Ring the garage and see if your 1 month warranty covers the cat.

If its blowing that will cause a drop in power.

Even if you bought a decat you still need a cat to get through an MOT.

alien green rs133
long spirited drive may remove smell, then get light removed with a hand held, most garages have them.

or get a de-cat made, mine cost 40 notes :D

Ring the garage and see if your 1 month warranty covers the cat.

If its blowing that will cause a drop in power.

Even if you bought a decat you still need a cat to get through an MOT.

warranty excludes "exhaust (cat converter)".

can i do them for not telling me it was knackered when selling it to me?

S'trollin on size 7s
if youve been and seen the car, i suspect taken it for a test drive and decided your willing to buy it and if the warrenty specificly states it excludes exhaust faults (cat) then i dont think you can do anything about it at all tbh they can quite easily turn around and say afterall it wasnt like that when you set off from here so. dont think youve got any comeback, just bite the bullet and get a new one or like people say get a decat but yea youl still need a cat to pass the MOT emmissions.

Golf GTD Mk7
Just get a second hand CAT mate. There is a 182 being broken here at the moment. Won't cost you much. Around £50 ish probably.