ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Espace V6 airbox is now fitted!

Clio 182
Hey all,

Not sure if this is the correct section (Engine board maybe) but hey! If necessary, please move!

Anyways, thought i'd show you all my mornings work! Whoever said feeding the CAF was easy is lying LOL, had a right mare lol! Got there in the end and dead chuffed with the results!

I used the Trophy guide to remove the acoustic valve, that really was a pisch easy task!

Here are a few progress pics and pics of the end result, enjoy...

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0193.jpg

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

Oh yea, also got round to fitting the number plate bulb too lol (cheers Curley)...

DSCF0202.jpg

Note; i know my engine cover is brokedid and even though they're handy, i didn't tipex my engine bay lol! Previous owner did that :eek: :D

Clio 182
nice one. Although squashing the CAF is a bit "More harm then good"?

I was going to ask that actually, it still has the same surface area, so the amount of air going in won't be affected, but...

Oh, and bytway, there was NO way i could see that the CAF would fit unsquished lol! If anyone has fitted an 102mm pipe down to where the OEM sits, please show me how!

And is there any 'harm' to having an oval intake instead of a circular...!?!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't want to sound rude, but whats the point in fitting a V6 Airbox then fitting restrictive squashed air feeds? :S

You've done a very tidy job though!

BG 182 FF
great work m8, V6 airbox looks mint. Fink you would benefit from the CAF being fed through the lower grill so you get more air flow. Wheres the guide to removing the acoustic valve?

Ph1 172.
By squishing the CAF into an oval you are restricting the air flow.

Both these shapes can be made by a 102mm piece of pipe and both have the same circumference, however by squishing the CAF into an oval or near oval the surface area at the end of a pipe to let cold air in is reduced. It's a bit like squishing a a hosepipe, the pipe is still the same circumference, but the area at the end of the pipe for water to escape is reduced.

CAF-1.jpg

Yes i am really that sad and bored that i drew a diagram. Working til 8pm sucks.
EDIT: I really hope my math is correct.

Last edited:
  PH-QUICK
Far better to fit the 172 ph1 box with the double caf holes, then you can feed them out below the head light or into the grill much more easily as they're half the size. Theres a LOVELY guide in the guides section.

Clio 182
how much did that airbox cost you Graham?

Airbox was £47, got 15% knocked off dealer price! Strap (not used was £6, with 15% knocked off), erm CAF was £20 and the ITG filter was £30odd!

I don't want to sound rude, but whats the point in fitting a V6 Airbox then fitting restrictive squashed air feeds? :S

You've done a very tidy job though!

Cheers Daniel :)

I tried as best i could not to squish it, but there was no way on earth that an unsquished CAF would fit in down past the headlight to where the OEM sits!! The opening is still larger than that of the acoustic valve, so hopefully there is more air getting in, he says :S :eek:

great work m8, V6 airbox looks mint. Fink you would benefit from the CAF being fed through the lower grill so you get more air flow. Wheres the guide to removing the acoustic valve?

Without losing the n/s fog, how'd i go about that then...!?!

Guide is off the Trophy boards, someone pasted it over here though, do a search it and you'll find it! Is what i done, i just printed the guide out and can't remember which thread it was now!!

By squishing the CAF into an oval you are restricting the air flow.

Yes i am really that sad and bored that i drew a diagram. Working til 8pm sucks.

Lol, cheers for clearing that up, that hose pipe comparison is a good way of thinking about it!!

So for maximum suckage, i'd be best to unsquish the CAF at the hoover end then hehe!?! As Daniel pointed it out too...!?! Well that's my Sunday job then, aswell as fitting springs :D

Far better to fit the 172 ph1 box with the double caf holes, then you can feed them out below the head light or into the grill much more easily as they're half the size. Theres a LOVELY guide in the guides section.

Too late now, already bought a new filter housing and don't plan on changing it for a while hehe! Thanks anyways :rasp: :D

Clio 182
Looks good, appart from the quishy tubing.

Argh, tempted to whip the wheel off and sort it out now lol!! Thanks though for the comments :)

Anyone else with the Veebox fitted a CAF down there, how did you manage to get it to fit without squishing it :S

Qashcow
i got mine round into the hole, think something may be missing for it to have fitted though. im sure i have a pic somewhere....

Clio 182
i got mine round into the hole, think something may be missing for it to have fitted though. im sure i have a pic somewhere....

How the hell :mad: :eek:

I found the CAF unsquished kept catching the headlight leveller plug and ripping it out :(!

Pics would be handy dandy, cheers!!

Ph1 172.
I think Greeny172 had a RR before and after fitting a V6 box, but i don't know if he made any other changes between runs.

Clio 182
Anyone got a car rr'd before and after an airbox change? Does it make any difference?

Tbh, i'd say no! If it does, it's minimal :dapprove: :S

Just been out, there is a bit more grunt which does sound nice hehe!

Power, naff all lol haha!

Response, again, not sure, may be my brain playing tricks, but i personally feel that it has become a tad more responsive...!?!

225 Cup & Williams
Good work dude. I'm having a nightmare trying to get a feed upto the airbox on my williams my tighter space than the 1*2's pain in the hole

Clio 182
Fankoo Oaty, had a look and still have no idea how Ben has managed that, really should take the bumper off to get a proper feel for space, but i'm lazy haha!! Will have a looksy on Sunday, worse comes to the worse, it'll stay where it is!!

Good work dude. I'm having a nightmare trying to get a feed upto the airbox on my williams my tighter space than the 1*2's pain in the hole

Cheers Steve :)

Good luck :rasp: :D

Clio 182
Oh yea, someone mentioned gains before and after...

I posted this up over on RSUK, and a blokey replied saying he has fitted this and dyno'd before and after! He also removed the PAS pump too, saw a 10bhp gain over original. This was dyno'd at Surrey RR, not sure how 'accurate' they are, but they said PAS account for a 7bhp approx, so airbox gave arround a 3bhp increase! He had CAF ran along the top of the radiator (172 Cup) and poking behind the grill...

Qashcow
Anyone got a car rr'd before and after an airbox change? Does it make any difference?

before
174bhp with group N remap, ktec exhaust and piperx filter

after
192bhp with above minus piperx, plus v6 airbox, itg filter, matched inlets

same RR with other cars on both times making the same bhp first and second runs.

and matched inlets are supposed to give about 10 on a good day. have readouts for both :)

clio 172 corsa turbo300hp
Oh yea, someone mentioned gains before and after...

I posted this up over on RSUK, and a blokey replied saying he has fitted this and dyno'd before and after! He also removed the PAS pump too, saw a 10bhp gain over original. This was dyno'd at Surrey RR, not sure how 'accurate' they are, but they said PAS account for a 7bhp approx, so airbox gave arround a 3bhp increase! He had CAF ran along the top of the radiator (172 Cup) and poking behind the grill...

sorry to be a pain but what is PAS

b/g 182, meg tourer
cool.
squashed caf pipework tho. i think i would try running it without a caf. shouldn't get too much hot air there anyway once the car is moving.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
sorry to be a pain but what is PAS

As above, power-assisted-steering. Was me on RSUK, and SRR is very consistent. Can't say if it's accurate or not, but year after year with no changes it gives very consistent readings.

cool.
squashed caf pipework tho. i think i would try running it without a caf. shouldn't get too much hot air there anyway once the car is moving.

Don't! I tried it at SRR - Charlie let me detach my CAF and rotate the intake on the airbox to pick-up from behind the headlight - and the curve was all over the place and well down for the last 2k rpm.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
dont mean to be a pain again but how does taking ur pas off make 7bhp

The belts/pulleys have less work to do. The belts go around the steering pump, driving it making your steering lighter.

If you remove this, its one less thing the car has to do, making it more efficient.

Bear in mind it has to be removed properly. You don't just empty the fluid and hey presto, 7hp. You need a new belt, and you need to remove the pump and all the pipework.

clio 172 corsa turbo300hp
The belts/pulleys have less work to do. The belts go around the steering pump, driving it making your steering lighter.

If you remove this, its one less thing the car has to do, making it more efficient.

Bear in mind it has to be removed properly. You don't just empty the fluid and hey presto, 7hp. You need a new belt, and you need to remove the pump and all the pipework.

thanks for making it clear dont think i bee doing tha

b/g 182, meg tourer
Don't! I tried it at SRR - Charlie let me detach my CAF and rotate the intake on the airbox to pick-up from behind the headlight - and the curve was all over the place and well down for the last 2k rpm.[/quote]

really. cheers for that info, i just assumed that with less caf and a bigger point of intake would mean better airflow. my theory could be completely wrong and sounds as if it is tbh.

Qashcow
Renault Part Codes...

V6 airbox 7700 260 096 (comes with std filter)

rubber strap 7700 267 902

Merlin Motorsport Part Code...

ITG Filter for airbox BH-203