ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ep3 type-r to clio 200 cup

what are peoples views on this move i currently have a 05 ctr recaro momo wheel dipped glass. spec one.

i dunno if itz a wise move to take the main issue i have with the ctr is the steering.

anyway what are peoples views on this is it a side step or a step back or a step up.

thanks

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
not sure if itzzzzzzzzzzz wize budddddddddddd.

I'd have an ep3 over a 197 (I had an ep3) however the clio 200 is meant to be quite a step up so i'm going to get a test drive...

Evo
Depends what your after in a car mate.

the 197/200 always seemed a little too slow to me on the straights but the more you drive the car you soon realise its a car that delivers in the corners and not in drag races

172cup
When i had my ep3 I went to test drive/trade in a 197 cup and I just though they where very similar. Without the excellent rear room of the ep3 and better finish.

The chassis on the 197 is better than the ep3 and the overall package of the 200 makes it a much more focused drivers car. The brakes are the best on any hot hatch, my ep3 brakes melted at croft after only two sessions. The build quality on the 200/197 is not far off the honda finish. and the only gearbox that i have ever found even close to the notchy shift of the ep3 is the 200. The gear box is fantastic.

0-100 I doubt there would be much in it. The ep3 will feel quicker. The only downside to the 200 is the lack of modifications or development. It is so good they is nothing else to do to it!! Whereas the k20 engine has massive tuning potential and loads of modifing companies.

Hope that helps!! If I had the money i d get a 200 and take it to the ring.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Your honda's done most of it's depreciation, the Clio would lose a lot over the next few years. I'd probably spend some cash on coilovers and brakes for the Honda. If you go for the Clio get a cupped 200. The 200cup's interior is poor IMO, you can't adjust the driving position enough.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Where's the fun in straight lines i just don't get it?
I live in the sticks where the cars come alive, as some have witnessed;)
The type r is woeful in the wet.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I'd say depends on where you live/the roads you drive tbh mate.

If you live somewhere where you do alot of country road driving then you'd appreciate the 200 alot for its handling, if alot of its straight road/town driving i'd probably stick with the civic as its the corners where the 200 (and most of the renaultsport range) really excel.

Milano Premier CTR
I went for the ep3 over the 197 becase of the rear room, i havent driven a 197 or 200, but my ep3 isnt as stable on the back roads as a 182 i drove. I find the ep3 more fun to drive with the engine, gearbox and playfull backend. I would never see the point in spending an extra 6k to get a 200 (rough trade guide againt yours). I think if i were to change i would be going for a Meg R26, new shape audi s3's have came down in price a bit aswell now (2nd hand).

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I had a go in a CTR with the ABP suspension set-up, was under £400 IIRC. Completely different feel, better steering, lots more fun.

RS200

Agreed. if you have a car that does 190 or 140 mph it doesnt matter your never going to do that kinda speed on a track or motorway. unless your license means nothing to you;)

172cup
Ctr is very funny in the wet or snow. If you want a car for back road driving dont buy an ep3, they are terrible on the a701 and a 68 it will bottom out, especially on the passenger
side and scrape the bumper. On track though, if you can used to the inert steering it will gracefully c**k a leg which is very cool.

I am torn between either a 200 cup, r26 or evo 260 gsr. I was considering getting an old school scooby but the possible nightmare maintenance that may become has put me off.

Nimbus 197
^^^^^R26, then 260 GSR then 200Cup, ^^^^^^^

When I bought my 197 I test drove the CTR and had a good look at them, for me it was driving feel I wanted more than straight line prowess. The CTR is the better long distance machine, and the 197 is the better B road car.
The 200 has better manners than the 197 on motorways and is better still than the 197 on the B roads, so in my mind it would be a slight sideways slightly up trade, if you know what I mean.

Also anything is better than driving a bread van, lol