ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine f**ked...Advice needed

Coupe/Defender V8
it's funny you should say that.................................................even with thermastat..I do wonder. Especially on short journeys

Coupe/Defender V8
That is when mine started to smell of oil also..the plate kicks in at the right temp (allegedly)

Maybe even as an extra precaution as a daily it's overkill...unless you give it death every day lol

ITB'd 182...
Mine has done 102500miles now, dehpaser clunking like a nackered sewing machine for the past 20K, engine sounds "tappety"...

I give it death daily driving to work, just done 2.3K around Europe, 5 laps of the 'Ring (Guppy loved it ;) )

and it still runs sweet, fresh oil every 5K and that's all it gets :)

Mine does have a smell of oil / fuel when really gunning it but meeeh!

I did indeed and it still pulls VERY well with a few mile's on the clock!

Clio 182 arctic
i would keep driving it, any spare cash you get keep it to one side just incase, then you wont be scratting around for money if it does go pop.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Strange how you say you can hear it over 2k, a dephaser rattle can only be heard under around 1800 rpm. Very pronounced at idle though

Lionel Richie
just remove the solenoid and put 12V to it, if it clicks and you see the piston move its fine, no need to change it

It sounds hollow as f*ck on idle, just how mine used to before I swapped the dephaser. You can also hear the solenoid activate and then deactivate as it passes the VVT cutoff/rpm.

I swapped both of mine earlier in the year and its like a different engine... I used it for a full year sounding like Bens and it was fine, just keep ragging it tbh

Megane Coupe 2.0 16v VVT
Mine has done 102500miles now, dehpaser clunking like a nackered sewing machine for the past 20K, engine sounds "tappety"...

Im similar, de-phaser is making some racket and th throttle body sticks but other than that, At 130k miles , its doing well. :)

I give it death daily driving to work, just done 2.3K around Europe, 5 laps of the 'Ring (Guppy loved it ;) )

and it still runs sweet, fresh oil every 5K and that's all it gets :)

Mine does have a smell of oil / fuel when really gunning it
but meeeh!

What oil do you use every 5k mate ?

Jord has just been round to check it out.

The verdict = Dephaser pulley.

Also need a new solenoid as well.

Not as bad as I thought :) Restored faith :)

I bet that's a relief ?
Or you still tempted with an Evo ?

Dont know if you will be able to hear it - Turn it up load, and when it climbs the revs you can hear it

th_Dephaser.gif

When you rev it a little, there is like a scratching noise almost like bearing failure noise like a rattle, then when you unplug the solenoid it doesnt do it.

Defo very noisey when up close as well.

RS RIP
oldie goldie thread dug up :)

My engine is leaking from the camcover area ever since i had some valves replaced/head was off. I can see the oil lying on top of the cover. I have a suspicion that the mech did'nt use new camseals, or the wrong ones anyway. When oil is leaking from these seals; could the dephaser start to show vibrations because of oil starvation / not enough oil getting to it ?

Ever since the head-refurb i have a sort of resonation/vibration from the engine at exactly the rpm the dephaser starts it's job (from about 2000rpm up to 2500 it starts to "resonate")

I do'nt have the typical loud diesel-engine noise from when like the dephaser is def busted...

I'm pretty much gutted because the head-job has cost enough $$$ , only to find out it has to be taken apart again