ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

awful engine whine noise

Clio 172 Phase 2
my 172 has started making a terrible whine noise which is very loud! sounds like it’s supercharged.
can hear it from idle all the way up the rev range and increases as you rev it.
belts were changed 2 years ago (10k ish miles)
any ideas ??
sorry for the terrible video quality it was dark out
cheers!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That could be a multitude of things mate ranging from the power steering pump, the alternator or the water pump. Personally I don’t think it’s the water pump as they make more of a metallic noise.

Check your power steering fluid level and see if it looks burnt.

After that, you need to drop the belt off and see if you can feel any roughness in the power steering pump pulley and the alternator pulley.

Clio 172 Phase 2
That could be a multitude of things mate ranging from the power steering pump, the alternator or the water pump. Personally I don’t think it’s the water pump as they make more of a metallic noise.

Check your power steering fluid level and see if it looks burnt.

After that, you need to drop the belt off and see if you can feel any roughness in the power steering pump pulley and the alternator pulley.
@NorthloopCup appreciate the reply mate,
i know the water pump was done alongside the cambelt but i guess i can’t fully rule this out yet.
power steering fluid level is fine and doesn’t appear burnt and there’s no real noise increase when lock to lock.
i’m thinking you’re right with the alternator. it’s more of an electric sounding whine ( not sure if the video captures it fully )
read on here that sometimes the lower idler pulley creates a similar whine and i can’t be 100% sure this was changed with the belts as it was done prior to me getting the car so could also be a possibility ?!
gonna get the belt off tomo and see what the pulleys are like as you said 👍🏽