ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Emotionally attached to your Clio/car?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I watched my Cup reverse off of the drive for the last time this morning...and it broke my heart.

The buyers seemed genuine enough, they plan on trackday use only so it should get the abuse it's grown to need/love. I got a good price for it, so all should be happy.

But I'm verging on depression here, haven't been able to think about anything else all day. I had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach (like before an exam) all day yesterday knowing it would be gone today.

Sad fcuk or true petrolhead?

Anyone else become similarly attached to a piece of metal?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
True petrolhead. When you've driven a car you get to know its ways. You'll miss it.

There's so many cases of people buying back their old cars, even if they're complete wrecks. Watch this video and tell me that the old guy didn't have a connection with that car.

Last edited by a moderator:
  big boost cup
I am quite attached to mine. The parents think im mad with the money, time, effort I put into it. forever telling me to sell up and buy a nice car. but i dont think i could ever sell it on as its my pride and joy (even though its been neglected the last couple of months). so to answer your question it would have to so be sad fcuk and true petrolhead.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'll never get rid of mine, unless the engines blows up and it's cheaper to buy a replacement,
but i'd have to get one with the same mods, so doubtful tbh.

I've just had too many good times in it and I kind of feel the same way about it as I do about my dog,
it's sort of feels like part of me, despite it giving me grief every now and again.

It's the only car i've owned that I have an emotional attachment to.

An orange one
The v6 yes, it will never be sold

The twingo 133 (basically a 1.6 Clio 182) will be sold in 3 years time, for something newer and better at the time, I love it...but it's not by any means irreplaceable..

M135i and the shed
Sounds familiar to me. Can't ever see me selling the Megane on to be honest. Been through plenty with it and spent money, blood, sweat and tears on it so it's more than just a car to me now.

My girlfriend reckons i'm mental/sad but some cars become more than just a lump of metal.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Yep felt like that when I sold my first 1.2 Clio. Felt like a little part of me inside had died:( lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
sell them! I mean really its a 172 cup that's had the s**t kicked out of it, what's it worth??? £2K on a good day? make them do a paper round

It was worth 2k all day long today. Found two buyers who appreciated its life and history.

Reality is since the 200 arrived it was 100% surplus to requirements. Before the 200 I used to drive it once, twice, three times a week for a driving thrills fix.

Since, if it's started once a month it was lucky.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i don't think i could ever sell my golf, the rest I've got over although its not nice when you sell one you love then see it on here a week later all smashed up *cough rob cough*

White clique
I dont really get attached to mine, i did miss the Saxo VTR and 197 a little bit (for about an hour), but the rest of them i dont really care about TBH. If a car came along that I preferred, i'd get shot of the Z4 no problems, even though i really like it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Good thread.

I think a lit of petrolhead type cars are the same.

Look at other forums and you'll see people grow up go German/Vag then a year later end up back in the same 2-3k shitbox they sold. CS is easily a superb example.

R26's, Minis, german, japanese and a lot simply love coming back to the French hot hatch.

I would say things are changing because even the 182 is getting on now so less people are happy about buying an older car with potential issues.

Still the connection point remains. I sort of have one but on my local roads my patience does waiver!

Its only natural if you've put so much time/effort/money into it over the years. I could say the same about my Mk1, simply due to the fact that by the point I had broken it into bits I knew it was the right thing to do as things were breaking at every track day - even with a brand new engine and ancillaries. Brand new alternator packed up after 15 laps on its last outing etc. But yeah at first I felt the same, soon got over it as there are far better things out there to move onto, whether it be within weeks, months or years - in reality, its only a cheap french tin :boring:

Mk2 Ph2 172
one car that i will buy back if i ever see it come up for sale is one of my old fiesta rs turbo's which i loved and was very sad to let it go.... only car i grew fond off.

since then the only car i felt the same about was my e36 M3 evo which i had to sell last year to fund buying a house :( hence why i now drive a clio sport saving the moneys.

moving in this summer

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
The thing with mine is two-fold.

The best part of my life, getting married, and having kids, has always had this car in the background. It came along just before Megan turned 1 year old, and since then it's always been there. She remembers going out in it at an early age...and still (well did) squeals/screams when the throttle goes down.

Then there's the fact that I learned to drive in it. Not the passing your test kind of learning, but actually learning to drive. Passed my IAM in it. Qualified as an advanced driving instructor in it. It's been such a part of the last decade.

Now it's gone :(.

Hacking about furiously in the 200 today has helped ease the pain.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You didn't need to sell it but you bought a very expensive Clio mate.

You could have had the 172 and a normal car. Or a 182 which is massive inside or an old 197!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You didn't need to sell it but you bought a very expensive Clio mate.

You could have had the 172 and a normal car. Or a 182 which is massive inside or an old 197!

Don't get me wrong. Getting rid was the absolute right thing to do.

I no longer needed it. No longer wanted to drive it really. Didn't want/need the annual insurance/VED/MOT headaches.

Just didn't expect to feel this way...like I've lost a limb.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh well at least you know it was the right thing to do. :)

I was heavy attached to my Leon. Absolutley devastated when it got smashed into.

Sold it and now I just pcp and look at it like it's a rental car. You'll never make money on a car so just pay and enjoy then hand it back.

williams and trophy
I watched my Cup reverse off of the drive for the last time this morning...and it broke my heart.

The buyers seemed genuine enough, they plan on trackday use only so it should get the abuse it's grown to need/love. I got a good price for it, so all should be happy.

But I'm verging on depression here, haven't been able to think about anything else all day. I had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach (like before an exam) all day yesterday knowing it would be gone today.

Sad fcuk or true petrolhead?

Anyone else become similarly attached to a piece of metal?

know exactly how you feel mate. i felt the same as i watched 1 of the williams drive off with its new owner... iv known the lad whos got it years, so i know its got a good home, someone who will thrash it as much as i did nearly, and i have 1st refusal on buying it back if he ever sells.....still....was properly gutted when it went.....sad??? not a chance, its like losing a good mate, altho losing the willy was harder to take .....

53 Clio's & counting
I think any petrolhead that has had a car for so long would feel the same Mark.

I still miss my black 172 - I did over 50,000 miles in it, bought it standard and ended up near perfect spec for me - I tried different brakes, suspension, and it was at a point where it suited me perfectly.

Was it the right thing to do, selling it? Yes, 100% as I got to move onto my Elise, and I miss that even more than my Clio.

Clio 182
Not sure I will want to part with mine, 8 years now, not changing it yet but when I do (probably for a newer model of the same) if I have the room/finances I am beginning to think I will keep it as well as it's not worth much financially but it's worth more to me than the few £k I will get for it.

I find it sad when other original owners I've known part with theirs, let alone mine!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I have such admiration for people who keep cars that long. No idea how you wouldn't get bored though unless it was a second car.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I only had my 172 for 2 years, but I covered some serious mileage in those two years, like big time.

When I watched that drive off, I felt like I'd been kicked in the teeth.

I didn't lose that feeling until I picked up the z4. The 3 series couldn't sure that feeling for some reason.

Megane 225
This thread is just summing up what I have been going through for weeks. Yeah my clios a little powerless 1.2 and some of the mods have been questionable (underbody lights) but I have had it four and a half years. Been with the car longer than my fiance. Everythin on it I have done and built. Other half wants to sell it, so I got her a vel satis but toying with idea of selling it an getting 1*2 and saving the rest, just can't though.