ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 3.0 ITB Race Build

Focus RS mk1
Just been reading through all this, wow wat a build, real close attention to detail! Any pics of the tail pipe out the back now its all bolted up? Just had a little laugh to myself about the weight of the original exhaust..... im a tech at bmw so i know what these things are like stupidly heavy systems!! What sort of bhp will this be now?

The standard system is a ridiculous amount of weight as you will know, so happy with that saving yeah. Il grab a couple of pics of the tailpipe, its basically 3" pipe with a 20deg downward turn on it to help with drive-by noise, id just run a straight pipe if I could but I don't think il get away with it - its not overly loud with the two silencers in but I would imagine WOT on track it will put out a fair amount of noise.

Power wise, could be anywhere from 240hp > 260hp+, depends how we get on with the map etc. Torque will be around that figure too I would imagine. The US M3's were around that figure without the exhaust manifolds and same displacement... I'm not chasing numbers really, I would have just used a different engine or put a turbo on if that was the case, just doing something different that will give decent drivability

Focus RS mk1
Yeh can fully appreciate not chasing numbers, no need to complicate it by going down turbo route, youve done a top job as it is and will be awesome on track. Yeh i thought it had a bit of a downward angle on the pipe i like that look but for you its function over looks

Bit of an update. Fitted an AEM wide band, mounted the gauge on the dash. Put some miles on it... No leaks or issues as of yet. With the accurate water temperature gauge, coolant sits at a consistent 85C driving normally, perfect with the low temp thermostat. Oil pressure and temps all great. AFRs are spot on when WOT at high RPM, getting slightly richer up the very top end which is safe. More miles needed but its running great - completely different animal to the M52B28.

320td Daily XR2t Toy
Bit of an update. Fitted an AEM wide band, mounted the gauge on the dash. Put some miles on it... No leaks or issues as of yet. With the accurate water temperature gauge, coolant sits at a consistent 85C driving normally, perfect with the low temp thermostat. Oil pressure and temps all great. AFRs are spot on when WOT at high RPM, getting slightly richer up the very top end which is safe. More miles needed but its running great - completely different animal to the M52B28.

The gauge isn't inaccurate, its filtered because average joe thinks it a sign of quality when the temp needle just sits in the middle. Even though no engine actually hold temp like that. Has a negative impact on overheating as people don't see the needle creeping up it just jumps to the red.

In modern cars its not just the temp gauge everything is filtered.

Yep, mentioned previously in here its from 80-110 whilst sat in the middle or thereabouts. Its the same for the Oil temp gauge on the M3s.

Should have really put "the standard sensor is inaccurate", because it is. Both sensors are an inch apart, in the same coolant gallery as each other - the SPA gauge shows 85C, and the standard sensor the ECU/Gauge read from was 94C on the live data. Whether the stock sensor is going bad, or they really are inaccurate in that respect, I wont know until I swap the standard sensor for a spare..

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cheers for the exhaust pal, looking forward to getting it on for some 6 pot rasp.

Absolutely amazed to know you're in IT and not a mechanic!!!! Plus rang your uncle for the alloy refurb and he says you're s**t hot at golf.

Anything you can't do?!?

Your uncle's place seems spot on too, hopefully be dropping off two sets for him to do this weekend.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the exhaust pal, looking forward to getting it on for some 6 pot rasp.

Absolutely amazed to know you're in IT and not a mechanic!!!! Plus rang your uncle for the alloy refurb and he says you're s**t hot at golf.

Anything you can't do?!?

Your uncle's place seems spot on too, hopefully be dropping off two sets for him to do this weekend.

I think a lot of people on here are in IT. Also a lot of people I know who are into their cars and working on them are in IT in some form or other. I think it comes down to the hands on element of wanting to know how things work and taking stuff apart etc.

Obviously not up to Jord's level of mechanical skill though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah I'd love to get my hands dirty but need a unit and tools. Really need to move out of this flat and get a house with a drive and garage.
I'm a finance guy so I appreciate the logic of how things work.

Ha! Let me know how you get on with the wheels etc.

The engine is going well, couple of issues with an alternator but thats now sorted - I will do a proper update later this week, which does actually include some other IT related things I've been working on for live data logging and a few other bits!

Long overdue an update... a few weeks ago I got a set of reconditioned injectors, to make sure they were all well balanced and 'as new'. I wasnt sure if the Cylinder1 issue on the other engine was down to a bad injector or something else, but better to be safe..

IMG_0555_zpsb832b654.jpg

IMG_0557_zps99cf13a3.jpg

As previously mentioned a bit further back I also fitted an AEM Wideband, into the extra boss I put on the exhaust, and the gauge is now mounted in a visible place..

IMG_0560_zpsd91d06bc.jpg

Apart from that, the rest of the car/engine has been going well. Its about ready for an oil change now.

Had a bit of an intermittent issue with the alternator which stopped charging if you went over 4000rpm, but that was soon sorted by swapping out the regulator with my spare. I also had a small leak from the back of the rocker cover, I think I may have cracked the cover when putting the engine in (hit on the bulkhead). I swapped the rocker cover with the spare one of the old engine along with a new gasket and no more leaks..

--

So over the past few weeks I've been doing a lot of work on a way of logging data using what I already have - no aftermarket ECUs, no production data loggers or additional sensors etc. I wanted it to work with what was already on the car, and the stock ECU.

The main reason for wanting to log data was so I could review RPM vs AFR, and other things such as Throttle Position etc, once I was back on a computer, as its neigh on impossible to watch everything all the time when driving. A quick glance at WOT is fine, but apart from that you've got no chance.

Il go into quite a bit of detail here, just for reference if anyone ever finds it - Its all quite technical, so just look at the pictures if you want! Most of this information is not readily available out there on the internet - I've spent weeks reading and testing, but most has been trial and error as there is literally no solid information given by anyone. There is one other piece of software out there that can simply log/graph BMW ECU data, but its closed source (so you can't see how its been done), and has to run on Windows (sigh!) - I didn't want an actual laptop running in the car all the time!

So firstly, I had to figure out how I was going to get data from the engines sensors. These days many people know about the BMW INPA software, which is used for fault code reading/sensor value reading on the older BMW models. You can use this on a Windows laptop with a VAGCOM KKL cable and a BMW 20pin (diagnostic) adaptor, which works fine.

Inside INPA, you can view live sensor data and do various sensor/actuator tests, which is handy. The problem is, the refresh rate on this data is terribly slow, 1 update per second, if that! The E36 is not technically OBD, it will report simple fault codes in generic OBD language to off the shelf code readers, but if you want to read sensor data BMW use their own type of data protocol. This is known as the DS2 Protocol.

inpa1_zps488ed283.jpg

The reason INPA is slow at refreshing data is simply due to the software layer between the INPA application and the serial data going down the cable. It is possible to bypass this software layer and talk to the ECU directly over the serial port, thats if you know what commands to send, and in what order.

Essentially when you are using a VAGCOM cable, the driver on your computer installs it as a COM port. With this in mind, the INPA data goes backwards and forwards over this COM port. Next step was to use a COM port monitor to view the raw binary data going over this port, and it may give a clue to how the software is talking to the ECU. I started INPA and got the Analog Sensor Values screen up, which shows information for most of the sensors you would want to see, then started monitoring:

comport-monitor-0_zpsb54ba7ab.png

What you can see here is the binary data being sent by the computer, and what what the ECU is responding with. The application shows the data in Hex format. This is the basis of the DS2 protocol (you can read more on the basics of the DS2 protocol here, but it does not go into much detail about specific models or ECUs). The protocol consists of a constructed data packet:
Code:
[Address] [Length] [Data1] [Data2] ... [Data n] [Checkum]
[Address] is the address of the computer being queried.  Examples are 00 (Central Body Computer), 12 (ECU), etc.
[Length] is the total number of bytes in the message.
[Data] is one or more bytes which comprise either the command (from you) or the response (from the computer).  
[Checksum] is an XOR checksum for the data being sent/received.
So when looking at the screenshot of the serial port monitoring above, this matched. INPA was sending:
Code:
12 05 0b 03 1f
[ECU] [Message Length (5 Bytes)] [Message 1] [Message 2] [Checksum]
...and getting a big long reply back - This is the data for all the sensor values. The ECU will always respond with the command you have sent first, then the rest of the information. The first three bytes of this reply are always a bit of static information:

comport-monitor-1_zps9fe0d82e.png

Code:
12 1d a0
[ECU] [Message Length] [Status]
The status field can be one of three values. a0 = Acknowledged, a1 = ECU Busy, FF = Bad Command. Basically this means you only want to ‘record’ data that comes back with an a0 response, as that states that the reply is good.

The rest of the ‘bytes’ after this were a complete unknown at the time - they are a list of all ECU sensor data, but there is no documented resource or information out there telling you what is what for an MS41 E36 ECU. This is not to mention that HEX data is integer (whole) numbers, and the information you see in INPA is precision sensor data sometimes to 4 decimal points. So there had to be some sort of conversion or calculation to get the actual sensor readout.

Before I looked into working out which byte was which sensor, I wanted to try and manually talk to the ECU using a COM port terminal, to see if I got a response without any other software running. I used a virtual machine (running Linux), connected using the same cable, at 9600baud, and sent the same command as above. I then read the contents of the serial buffer to find the ECU responded with the full string of data. This essentially meant I could communicate with the ECU directly over the COM port, without the need for any of the INPA software.

Because you are missing out the software layer that INPA uses with the above, you can send this command to the ECU over the COM port and read the responses much quicker. I quickly wrote a small script and managed to get the request sent/data string back from the ECU 6-7 times per second (6-7 times quicker than INPA can) before I getting 'ECU Busy' responses. Not a bad rate of data at all.

With that in mind, next was to decide what hardware and software to use for building something. It had to be small form factor, quick, efficient and accept different types of inputs, especially USB. There was only one choice really, a Raspberry Pi. I've had a Model B Rev2 lying about for a while, so this was a good excuse to put it to use. They offer good performance, decent RAM and very small form factor.

RASPBERRY_PI_MODEL_B_512MB_REV2_1024x1024_zps1f68b84d.jpg

I installed a lightweight version of Raspbian Wheezy on a 4gb SD card. I decided to use Python for the logging application, due to speed and rapid application development. Although I have not really used it much, I'm only really proficient in C, PHP, ASP when working with databases.... but general logic and syntax does not really change so I stuck with it. After checking the USB serial cable worked fine with the rPi and Python the development started..

I only had two things in mind for the software to begin with - logging the data as quickly as possible and writing it to a CSV file for use in data log explorer/viewers. Databases are not really quick enough on a rPi to be writing data 5+ times a second without filling up a buffer and using more CPU time, so I stuck with flat files. Luckily there are plenty of libraries in Python for doing these sort of things.

As mentioned above, I knew the data being read from the ECU was all sensor values, as this is what INPA was using to display the values on screen. After a week of reading and searching, I found out that INPA uses another piece of software in the background, called ToolSet32. This program has a folder under it, with a file for each ECU model (mine being MS41), containing information about each sensor value and ECU parameters.. I thought great! Although, when you try and open it, everything was in some sort of encrypted format.

More searching found a Polish developer that had created a small utility to try and reverse engineer parts of the file to get some readable data from them, which sort of worked (he had made it for the E39, not E36). Everything was in German as expected, some parts abbreviated and it was no real help bar one thing - there was a section that gave multiplication factors for each sensor, two columns of them (FAKT_A and FAKT_B). This is how you would get from a whole number to a correct decimal value for a sensor. Although, the problem was there was nothing in this file which described which 'byte' of the ECUs message was for which specific sensor, so there was a lot of trial and error to come...

development3_zpsad2d753e.png

Development started on a virtual machine with a laptop so get the basics of the program working over the serial port. I wanted to find at least one 'byte' that made sense, so started with an easy one, Battery Voltage. From the above table, UBATT has a multiplication factor of 0.102. I went through each ‘byte’ of the ECUs response, converting the HEX value to Decimal, then multiplying it by that factor until I got something like a battery voltage.

Eventually I found that 'byte' number 20 in the ECU's response was the correct piece of data. The HEX was 8b, which in decimal is 139. Then, use the multiplication factor, 139 * 0.102 = 14.178 V. With this now worked out, I started to create an application to read this byte in a loop, do the calculation and output it - I kept the whole thing down to approximately 5 messages/responses per second, which seemed a good starting point..

development-1_zps19774d32.png

Before working out any of the other ECU sensor values, I wanted to look at the wideband. I already knew that the AEM wideband gauge outputs serial data constantly on one of its connector pins, containing the current AFR value (this is used for production off the shelf data loggers). I wanted to interface this output with the same script, so it is read at the same time as the ECU data, and everything is synchronised. I used a spare USB > COM port adaptor, and hooked the wideband gauge up to it. I modified the first script and got it to 'listen' on the second COM port, interpret the data and output it at the same time.

development-2_zps43b42cde.png

The first column is a timestamp, the second column is the Volts, and the third column is the wideband AFR data. This was basically the basics of the application, constantly speaking to the ECU, parsing its response and doing something with the data - in the above case, printing it to the screen.

The next big job was to work out which other 'bytes' of the response were sensor values, I had the Volts, so using the same trial and error process, I had some time consuming research to do. One thing I did notice was INPA sent different commands to the ECU for some specific different readings. The majority of the values are all in the one big long string as above, but a handful of others are completely separate commands. The ones I found which had a different commands were Throttle Position (in Volts, which is the actual TPS reading), Lambda Voltages and Air Mass. The reason these have their own command is the data is stored in a different RAM address inside the ECU, whereas all the rest are stored sequentially.

After quite a lot of time, I had calculated which 'byte' represents each sensor, and I could read all the correct values through the application - which was great. In the end, some of the values span over two 'bytes', and require more calculation, which was confusing. Unfortunately I'm not going to just give this information away, unless someone is genuinely interested and is making an effort on their own. Its not out there on the internet - and its possible for anyone to work out with enough research/effort, considering I've documented most of the process here. Anyway, the list of values that I can now log is:
Code:
RPM - x 1000
AFR - AEM Wideband
Air Intake Temperature - Degrees C
Coolant Temperature - Degrees C
Ignition Advance - Degrees
Injector Duration - ms
Camshaft Angle - Degrees
Engine Load - mg/Stroke
Air Mass - kg/h
Idle Control Valve - Current Position %
Battery Voltage - Volts
TPS Voltage - Volts
TPS Percent - Calculated Value Based on TPS Voltage, between 0-100%
Speed - KPH
Lambda Bank 1 - Volts
Lambda Bank 2 - Volts
Lambda Heater Bank 1 - %
Lambda Heater Bank 2 - %

There are more values available with different commands, like various adaption values for fuel, lambda etc. For now I some of the values are not being logged, as I don't need them. For example with having wideband logging, I don't really need to log the standard Lambda sensors, unless I think there is ever a fault.

Now I had everything documented, I set up Python on the RaspberryPi. I got the two USB > Serial cables setup, and checked I could talk to the ECU. Everything was fine, so I loaded the 'test' application I had made on the virtual machine and ran it - connected the laptop to the rPi so I could see what was happening, and sensor data started coming through, which was great and proved it actually works. The rPi runs on 3.3-5v, so easily powered using a USB cable from a 12v adaptor.

I modified the application further, using Pythons great threading module, so you can have multiple things running in sync. I needed this so the wideband data was always up to date and not an 'old' reading from the gauge. I then added in the CSV library, and got the program to output to a file instead of printing it to the screen. Here is an example of the output (engine was off), in CSV format:
Code:
Time;Date Time;RPM;AFR;Intake Temperature;Coolant Temperature;Ignition Advance;Injector Duration;Camshaft Angle;Engine Load;Idle Control Valve;Battery Voltage;TPS Voltage;TPS Percent
113.593333;01/01/70 01:01:53;0;15.7;18095.000000000004;32.39999999999999;5.866999999999997;0.0;0.0;0.0;12.038039999999999;11.729999999999999;0.663;0
113.822107;01/01/70 01:01:53;0;15.7;18095.000000000004;32.39999999999999;5.866999999999997;0.0;0.0;0.0;12.038039999999999;11.729999999999999;0.663;0
114.050493;01/01/70 01:01:54;0;15.7;18095.000000000004;31.950000000000003;5.866999999999997;0.0;0.0;0.0;12.14514;11.729999999999999;0.663;0
114.278498;01/01/70 01:01:54;0;15.7;18095.000000000004;31.950000000000003;5.866999999999997;0.0;0.0;0.0;12.14514;11.729999999999999;0.663;0
The reason the date shows as 1970 is the rPi has no real-time clock or battery, so it has no way of keeping the current correct time. It does not matter to me, as I'm only really using the first column, which is in seconds. The other floating point values (with a lot of decimal places) needed trimming down to 4 decimal places to keep things clean.

Now I had the basics of the application running on the Raspberry Pi, I needed some way of starting/stopping the logging, and knowing what its current status is. Originally I planned on just having a switch and a single LED, as the rPi has input/output pins available for use, which is ideal for things like that. I then thought why not make use of the 18 button OBC already in the car, and have those buttons control the logging. My OBC did not work properly anyway, so I pulled it apart and started tracing the circuit board inside.

obc1_zps7f3ae90a.jpg

The 18 button OBC has three LEDs as standard, on the Code, Limit and Timer keys. Now the keypad circuit only has 15pins on its connector, but there are 18 buttons, 3 LEDs, and power/earth for the illumination. After some trial and error, it turns out four pins are for the LEDs (12v and three LEDs) and only nine are for the actual keys. The keypad is actually a 5x4 matrix, very similar to a door entry keypad. In software terms you read rows and columns to determine what button has been pressed. Here is how the keypad is laid out:

keypadmatrix_zps14023647.png

So for example, if Timer is pressed, pin 10 and pin 13 are linked. This is then detected in the software, and you can look the value up in a table to determine what button that is. Even though I'm only going to use a handful of the buttons, I wired them all up to the rPi anyway. This is also based on threading, so the application is 'waiting' for a button press in the background, and does not have to constantly look for one being pressed, which would mean the application hangs. The LEDs were also connected to the rPi, so each could be illuminated in software when different conditions were met.

I hacked up a bit of the OBC, and added a rocker switch to the far left, which controls the power going to the rPi. I then set up Temp, Speed and Dist as the control buttons for the application. Temp starts the logging, Speed stops the logging, and Dist adds a marker into the logfile at the moment it is pressed, incase I ever need to look up a certain part of the logfile. On the far right, I used the Clock button which shuts down the rPi properly. With the rPi using an SD card for its operating system, you don't really want to be just turning the power off (essentially pulling the power lead from your computer), as its quite common for the SD card to corrupt.

IMG_0558_zps38561336.jpg

The last thing I wanted to do was try and make a small 16x2 LCD screen fit inside the instrument cluster, where the MPG readout usually is. This can also be controlled by the rPi, and display whatever you like on the screen. I thought it would be a good idea to show the current logging status, the length of the current log and is the application is reading the ECU data correctly.

Technically you could display any of the ECU values on the LCD, but it wasn't priority yet. I picked up a £5 16x2 LCD, which uses the I2C protocol, meaning you only have to use two wires back to the rPi for it to function, instead of the usual 8. The rPi is I2C compliant as standard, which many other devices use when talking to each other. I managed to get it mounted in place, and continued with the application.

IMG_0562_zpsb1982676.jpg

Once up to this point I was testing the application on the car, and remembered this data could actually be overlaid on videos from track days, making them a bit more interesting. In addition to the live engine data, I wanted to see if it was possible to add GPS data into the same log file, which would also give you a true speed reading, not just somewhere close like the ECU/Speedo do. I picked up a small GPS chip that runs on the same voltage as the rPi, and mounted it at the bottom of the windscreen inside the car. This particular model gets a fix within 30 seconds, and just outputs a serial stream of GPS data at 10hz constantly after getting a fix. The only part left was to incorporate another background thread in my application which would read the latest GPS data from the stream, and insert it into each row with the engine data.

IMG_20141026_120122_zps9b1ec110.jpg

So with all this built into the application, I ended up with about 800 lines of code, and realised some parts could work a bit more efficiently. I re-wrote some parts of it a couple of times with more testing, and got it down to around 500 lines. I then properly finished all the wiring in the car, and mounted the rPi in the glovebox out of the way. Really pleased with how it works, as below:

YouTube Link

The RaspberryPi takes about 20 seconds to boot up, which is automatic when you turn the power on. The Python application then automatically starts and outputs to the LCD. The Code LED on the keypad illuminates once everything is ready, and the buttons are disabled up to this point. Once you start the logging, the Limit LED flashes to indicate logging is currently in progress. When you stop the logging, the flashing stops. In addition to this, the LCD displays the current logging status, and the length of the current log.

The log files are saved on the SD card, which can then be used in an application back on the PC to plot the sensor data. An example of the 'finished' log file:
Code:
Time;Date Time;GPS Time;RPM;AFR;Intake Temperature;Coolant Temperature;Ignition Advance;Injector Duration;Camshaft Angle;Engine Load;Idle Control Valve;Battery Voltage;TPS Voltage;TPS Percent;GPS Latitude;GPS Longitude;GPS Altitude;GPS Speed (m/s);GPS Speed (mph);Log Marker
59.484896;01/01/70 01:00:59;2014-10-25T17:47:00.000Z;889;13.3;32.4100;72.4500;12.2080;2.7661;25.8405;103.7190;0.0153;13.7700;0.663;0;53.476971667;-2.574645;37.6;5.324;11.9092556;0
59.721561;01/01/70 01:00:59;2014-10-25T17:47:00.000Z;862;13.1;32.4100;72.4500;13.3270;2.7341;25.4660;108.5490;0.3519;13.8720;0.663;0;53.476971667;-2.574645;37.6;5.324;11.9092556;0
59.957776;01/01/70 01:00:59;2014-10-25T17:47:00.000Z;838;13.1;32.4100;72.4500;14.0730;2.7501;24.7170;110.0190;0.3519;13.9740;0.663;0;53.476971667;-2.574645;37.6;5.324;11.9092556;0
60.193968;01/01/70 01:01:00;2014-10-25T17:47:00.000Z;825;13.1;32.4100;72.4500;14.4460;2.7768;24.7170;111.7620;0.3519;13.8720;0.663;0;53.476971667;-2.574645;37.6;5.324;11.9092556;0
60.430485;01/01/70 01:01:00;2014-10-25T17:47:00.000Z;809;13.2;32.4100;72.4500;14.8190;2.8195;25.8405;113.9670;0.6885;13.9740;0.663;0;53.476971667;-2.574645;37.6;5.324;11.9092556;0
So with everything working, and a bit of fine tuning to the code, I managed to go and do some actual logging, needless to say it all works really well. Here a few plots, all on a private runway of course:

3rd > 4th Gear Pull - Speed, RPM, Throttle Position (%), AFR
graph1-3rd4th-speed-rpm-tps-afr_zps7abb629a.png

3rd > 4th Gear Pull - Speed, RPM, Throttle Position (%), Engine Load (mg/Stroke)
graph2-3rd4th-speed-rpm-tps-load_zps750e885b.png

2nd > 3rd Gear Pull - Speed, RPM, Throttle Position (%), AFR
graph3-2nd3rd-speed-rpm-tps-afr_zps75e6b968.png

2nd > 3rd Gear Pull - Speed, RPM, Injector Duration (ms), Ignition Advance (Degrees)
graph4-2nd3rd-speed-rpm-injector-advance_zpsf36fc469.png

You can really see where the M54B30 inlet cam comes alive at 2700rpm or so, and the RPMs increase so much quicker than the M52B28 ever did. Plenty more sensor values that can be added and compared, will be good for fault finding along with everything else. Next step is to use the data over the top of a video, which will be easy enough back on a PC.

Hopefully all the above info will be useful to someone one day, any questions just ask, but I'm not going to do it for you! Just need to change the oil on the car now, give everything a once over and do some more testing of the logger before Oulton Park in a couple of weeks :)

Many.
I don't really understand all the techy stuff, but I can understand how damn cool all this is, clever s**t, top job.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Jesus Christ you'd give Stephen hawking a boner.

I have no idea what any of that meant but sounds like some serious tweakage. You're a bloody genius!

Is that the laptop I gave you working it's magic? My brother will be pleased, he did some serious 'research' on that.

Haha.

I've not actually used it yet, I'm only using it for reading/writing files to the ECUs over the serial port... not tried it yet!

Fantastic read. Great thing with the Pi is your can just feed pretty much anything you want into it, as you've show with the screen. Great thinking with the control panel. I assume you've built a script to take your CSV and turn it into a plot?

Would you think there is anywhere of putting a marker on track somewhere that would log the data as laps? Or Even prior to track days get a GPS location of the start/finish line and when you hit that GPS marker the data is then logged as a new lap.

I just use the CSV files in MegaLogViewer (designed for Megasquirt stuff), and thats what the plots above are. It cuts out all the legwork, you can cross reference any field and its really quick etc. I could probably plot it quite quickly using a script and output it to a file, but MegaLogViewer is all on the fly and you can save it in any position, add calculated fields and plot everything as you go on screen.

Yes, its possible to do the timings, but there is no need really. Its all possible in software that is currently out there - RaceRender3 and Dashware, you load your video, sync it to the CSV file and then it automatically calculates the 'track map' you see on some videos. This is one of the reasons I put the 'mark' button on the keypad, so I can reference on the video when I pressed it. Once the software has done its work, you can choose the start/finish point on the 'track map' and then the times are calculated from there.

As well as logging the CSV data, there is also a 'program log' every time it runs - Any exceptions/errors in the script output to this, with a position they occored. When I first started testing, I kept getting random errors on the Throttle Position (as its read as a separate command), one in every 10 would report a read error, and it turned out I was trying to be too quick. Changing the internal delay for the command from 6ms to 7ms fixed it and I've not had the error since..

Nice work
Just need a cheap chassis fixed mems based IMU now for some more data.

I already have one from a long while ago, but I'm out of serial ports on the rPi now lol. I'd just need to expand, or get an I2C type. May look into it in the future

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
how do you turn it off? doesnt it require to be shut off like an old computer like it does when running raspbmc.
epic none the less. would love to chuck something like this in my car but it utterly pointless in my case.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
how do you turn it off? doesnt it require to be shut off like an old computer like it does when running raspbmc.
epic none the less. would love to chuck something like this in my car but it utterly pointless in my case.

Link the button to a shutdown command on the Pi. Pretty simple really. Raspbmc also has the shutdown command. Bottom left of the screen is the I/O button.

Yeah, the Clock button literally checks of the logging is currently 'off', then runs 'shutdown -h now', and thats it really. I just take the SD card out and put it in the PC to read the log files off. In an ideal world you'd run it on the new rPi B+ which has 4 USB ports, and I could log to a USB pen drive, but its not really needed.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Link the button to a shutdown command on the Pi. Pretty simple really. Raspbmc also has the shutdown command. Bottom left of the screen is the I/O button.
eh?
what button?

besides turning the rpi off before turning the key off (which is a pain)

Should have explained better - the rPi is on a permanent battery live, controlled by the red rocker switch. Ignition has no effect, so I just press the shutdown button, give it 10-15 seconds then flick the switch off :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, the Clock button literally checks of the logging is currently 'off', then runs 'shutdown -h now', and thats it really. I just take the SD card out and put it in the PC to read the log files off. In an ideal world you'd run it on the new rPi B+ which has 4 USB ports, and I could log to a USB pen drive, but its not really needed.

Just put a USB hub in one of the USB ports?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
ahh right now it makes sense lol.
still a bit of a pain with the waiting though ;)

like i said though great ideas and effort

Just put a USB hub in one of the USB ports?

I could, but then the hub needs power, etc. Just as easy to pop the glovebox open and pull the card out lol. Not going to be using it all the time anyway, just track days and diagnostics really, not in use daily anyway

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I could, but then the hub needs power, etc. Just as easy to pop the glovebox open and pull the card out lol. Not going to be using it all the time anyway, just track days and diagnostics really, not in use daily anyway

Fair enough but you could just run a hub that uses USB for both power and data? That would fill the Pi's slots but give you a lot more ports.

Also makes it more expandable in future if needed.

Will have to have a look - not sure how much power I'm pulling at the moment. I know the internal fuse is a tad under 1amp, and its currently powering the rPi itself, the two FTDI serial adaptors, the screen and backlight and the GPS chip. Probably talking a few hundred ma there - all depends what power additional stuff needs I guess without having to start powering stuff externally

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Will have to have a look - not sure how much power I'm pulling at the moment. I know the internal fuse is a tad under 1amp, and its currently powering the rPi itself, the two FTDI serial adaptors, the screen and backlight and the GPS chip. Probably talking a few hundred ma there - all depends what power additional stuff needs I guess without having to start powering stuff externally

Ah I didn't think about all the peripherals you're currently powering.

I should really power them all off a separate feed, but I just wanted to 'get it working'. Plus with most of external bits running on 3.3v, going 12v-3.3v is a pain. If it was 12v-5v it would be easy just to hack up a USB cigarette lighter, but didn't bother looking into it any further yet!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Genuinely impressed with this! Some serious levels of tech geekery going on.
Just out of interest, have you found a proper guide for INPA anywhere, would love to know what ALL of the functions/variables actually mean.

Not a guide as such but I know much more about it now I've done this. INPA is just a front end for the EDIABAS software, which is what does the communication. NCS Expert and ToolSet32 do much more... and go into far greater detail about it. What do you need to know?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not a guide as such but I know much more about it now I've done this. INPA is just a front end for the EDIABAS software, which is what does the communication. NCS Expert and ToolSet32 do much more... and go into far greater detail about it. What do you need to know?

Nothing at the moment, don't have an older BMW to play with for the time being, although it does work on the mini i suppose...
I've always just used trial & error - always amusing when you click something and the engine stops lol. Cue mild panic.

Yeah, then won't start again until the ignition has been off and back on again. INPA hides a lot of the raw data/values, and NCS expert can change pretty much anything you can think of that varies between models across the world. There isn't that much documentation out there, but do able for anyone with enough time and testing etc

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
OK, so I read, I read, I caught up, I got pretty excited about the exhaust, I was about to comment and say that you're probably my favourite contributor on here, then I came across the geekery.. I read, I got lost, I re-read, I got slightly confused, but I bloody enjoyed the read.

Seriously Jord, epic skills, when I see the engine stuff I die inside, wish I had the engine/someone to show me the ropes and to get to grips with it. I'd love to buy a replacement block for my car and strip it down and build it back up, but I'd fill up your PM box in hours.

Anyway, I digress, epic read mate.