ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive Safe Guys

Pearl Black Clio 172
No problem here (as such) but ive just picked up my clio on Monday, and after the advertiser said the car was in great condition I got there to find it was in 'ok' condition.
This wasn't my issue or the fact that made me cringe, no no. That resided on the brakes...
You see, this seller let his wife and her kid in a baby seat use the car as a daily driver despite there being 'a noise' from the rear of the car.
He said it sounded like vibrating from the exhaust, however....
SgP9AjG.jpg

All I can say is please check every nook and cranny when one mentions 'a noise'. This could have been a miserable ending which I would wish upon nobody.
Drive safe peeps :)

Suzuki Jimny
It's a cup, so I reckon that someone has done something to the rear brakes to make it pass a MOT and then left it like that, loads of extra heat going into it!

Pearl Black Clio 172
Going to find out tonight when new discs and pads are going in. Hopefully the calipers aren't f*cked. If they are ill just grab some new ones anyways but rather spare the expense for other parts of the car.

Cant believe he NEVER looked at the back of the car and wondered what the sound was, its horrendous. also I can hardly turn the wheel when pushing it round full force up on the ramps. Got a feeling the car will feel completely different once sorted lol.

Suzuki Jimny
Have you had a look at the bias valve thingy? These can be cable tied up for the MOT...

172 Cup
yip, too much heat generated from a sticky calliper. I have gone through several sets of rear disks before changing both rear calipers for new items, and then the hand brake cables too. The Bias Value is cable tied from factory IIRC.

Pearl Black Clio 172
Have you had a look at the bias valve thingy? These can be cable tied up for the MOT...
Not checked anything out fully yet - went to change the brakes and we thought they had sent fronts instead of rears, turns out they sent the completely wrong discs and pads. Utter idiots.
Ill be sure to check that out though, thanks for the suggestion.
Ive got a feeling it will take new calipers to sort it, just hoping we can free this one up enough for me to be able to drive her for a bit.

Pearl Black Clio 172
You've done exactly the same though?
Seller says there's a funny noise, you didn't have a poke about.. ?
Sorry, didn't explain that part...
When going to view the car he said it was in great cond.
Upon an initial drive to the petrol station to get it under lights for scrutineering he said about the noise and we guessed it could be this.
Looked under and found it - knocked £250 off asking price immeditely.

Pearl Black Clio 172
Mechanics just sent me these haha, nearly cracked all the way if it carried on and seems like the shaft is pretty war torn:
3KAKkhG.jpg

nZC6VWV.jpg

Pearl Black Clio 172
Apparently the caliper is relatively unscathed and appears to be in 'ok' condition itself, but in a month or two ill get fresh calipers (the handbrake cables already been done, maybe they didnt spot this?).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
"It'll be reet"....... the amount of times cars make horrendous noises, belch smoke, or roll on rubber smoother than a snooker ball - yet the owners do sweet FA about it.

The exact same type of people that when eventually the car does let go, they complain at how much it is to fix. :confused:

Hope you manage to give it a bit more TLC than the previous owner(s) clearly haven't!

Pearl Black Clio 172
"It'll be reet"....... the amount of times cars make horrendous noises, belch smoke, or roll on rubber smoother than a snooker ball - yet the owners do sweet FA about it.
The exact same type of people that when eventually the car does let go, they complain at how much it is to fix. :confused:
Hope you manage to give it a bit more TLC than the previous owner(s) clearly haven't!
Its gone back to the seller as per this thread:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/position-for-returning-a-car-to-a-trader.784609/
Lost £140 when i started sorting it out but I thought I had best give it back and not take any risks. Now ive picked up another clio sport 172 in black thats a fair minter if im honest, needs TLC but for £500 I cannot complain :)
ggwwsZh.jpg

Clio 182
Same thing happened to my old clio 182 - js heard a knocking and never thought much about it, then one day noticed smoke coming from brakes. Long and short the caliper was sticking and scorched the discs so bad they failed, ended up replacing calipers and discs and pads