ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY std ECU mapping

Clio 197 R26
Yes, only the one Scoff (thank the lord eh :) )

I can R/W the whole 512kb from the uproc (sirius 34) - but I don't think you ment that ?

The discussion here is really about what is happening in the 32kb flash. They wouldn't be this far along if they didn't already have the tool, software and ability to checksum. :)

I wish I had time and motivation for this kind of thing!
ah good to finally meet at some stage!

Right just been to the car with the laptop.

Using galletto 1260 I was able to download the 32kb file using the Sirius 34 option.

Using MPPS I was able to download the 32kb file.

No issues. To get the full EEPROM you need to use bootmode. But that's not needed for tuning.

I just need a wide band now :)

Clio 197 R26
Right just been to the car with the laptop.

Using galletto 1260 I was able to download the 32kb file using the Sirius 34 option.

Using MPPS I was able to download the 32kb file.

No issues. To get the full EEPROM you need to use bootmode. But that's not needed for tuning.

I just need a wide band now :)
only just got my silver car back running after some issues, it is French after all, my red car got stolen so that didn't help either! I will have a retry with my 1260 and report back

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Sorry i just missedout this, Faboka, I'v just had a lot at work. I do not think there any change in the files for the 2,5 bar mapsensor.
At least not in the 172 ver.
but as "I have been told" it doosent work to edit the 182 to scale it to a 2 bar sensor. runs really jerkey. Makes me tink it might be
that the fuelmap is made by tps intead of mapsensor values. Either that or the mapsensor was faulty.

I made a guid at ecuconnections for bootmode read with galetto. Yes not the best soldering i have done, but it works nother the less.

//broken_down

By the way, the factors for ignition is from a megane 225 damos, and the way i see it i bet they use the same factors. does in deed look that way when i log atleast.

Last edited:

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
also managed to download a 32kb file using 1260, cheeky i know but has anyone knocked up an xdf for tuner pro on a 182 file? or is everyone using winols?

Last edited:
  R5GTT, 2L turbo
Adey, each sw version has tables in different locations so an XDF for one 182 is likely to be no use on the next sorry. Not a problem if your writing it for your car only ? You'll need some way of correcting the checksum after editing.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
I wrote some turbo maps for stock Clio ECUs recently using an OEM 2bar delphi map sensor. It plugs in to the factory loom and gives a lot more resolution. I forget which car they come from, but it was something american and supercharged.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I'd be potentially looking at long term so I could keep all my creature comforts. I used to have a program for correcting checksums but it was for the vag stuff. Heavily supported but after searching next to no one plays with the renault stuff on a DIY basis....

R5GTT, 2L turbo
You can keep all of the creature comforts with a programmable ECU Adey, but of course it's the cost thing also, and it's fun to work these things out sometimes :)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
what have people used for checksums out of interest or is it a feature in winols? i have a 1260 read of my clio trophy if anyone wants a copy to look at

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
afterlooking it looks like i will be restricted to my demo version of winols, 1 it costs loads to buy the full version and 2 they only sell to tuners. that sucks.... anyone help out?

Ok got myself a spare sirius 34 to play with reading and writing.

Problem how do you boot this ecu into boot mode? I'm grounding pin 28 but unable to read using galletto or mpps. Been using the pin layout from fg tech.

I can boot mode a me7.5 fine. :(

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
is pin 28 defo the correct one for a sirius? ive not seen a pin out for the ecu yet. if i remember and it has been a while its pin 24 in an me7.5?

Yeah pin 24 on ME7.5. All I've found on tinterweb says pin 28 for the Sirius.

I have noticed the processor chip on some are different.

Not tried the resistor. Will give it a go. Will also plug it in the car and see if I can read it. On the bench I can plug the elm327 in and read the ecu fine.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
You'll need to defeat the immo before you can read the 32kb, so difficult on the bench. With the right tool you can put them in to boot mode and read/write the full 512kb through the OBD, immo or not. :) I've been doing a little bit of work with the embedded code recently. There are certain things you cannot fix in the 32kb (baro correction for one) and so it gets a bit more involved.

That's interesting. One thing I've been interesting in finding is the MAP sensor lineruzation.

How do you get it into bootmode? Seen different things for the Sirus 32 and 34. One of which was in soldering the last pin from the board.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Alas there isn't a table for MAP sensor Faboka - you can edit RPM breaks but not MAP. This ECU was never designed for forced induction in any application as you know.

I've wrote some turbo files using DEKA / 225 injectors and a 2 bar map sensor. OBD reports 45kpa at atmo :) I can't do anything about that. Everything works very well apart from initial throttle opening during crank. That is skewed because the ECU thinks that we're 10's of thousands of feet ASL and so it opens it too far to compensate for thin air. I'd like to remove the baro calculation altogether from the embedded code, and that is my current mission. (The ECU uses the initial MAP reading pre-cranking and MAP reading at WOT to determine barometric pressure). I've been able to compensate for it to a large degree. I can set post-crank throttle effort in the 32kb so that other than the initial fire up (where it will jump to 3krpm for 0.5 sec if starting from hot) it will quickly return to idle and run fine thereafter. Having come this far I'm reluctant to say "that'll do". I want to be able to offer a good turbo map for the stock ECU with everything working exactly as it should.

I bought a test car to fudge about with, I've been driving it around (bog standard 172, just Megane injectors and a 2 bar sensor) so I can fine tune as I go. I've collected the turbo bits so I can turbo it but really the WOT tuning is very easy - making it idle, start properly from hot and cold and correcting the transients have been the difficult bits.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Re boot mode, I don't know the ins and outs sorry, I've not really looked. One of my tools just does it. I can, for example, take the whole software and map out of one ECU and put it in another. Handy if ever an ECU dies.

Sounds like your having good fun.

I know people did offer turbo maps for the stock ecu however how well they where setup I don't know.

I'll probably go down the external programmer route to read the full chip. Looks like the immo is effecting the on the bench read like me7.5's do. But that I can get in boost mode.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Love reading this, I'd love to be able to understand it. Sounds good though guys, better hurry up though I don't think there are many clios left that haven't been turbo'd!!

R5GTT, 2L turbo
I can send you some full reads if you want to look Faboka, but without decompiling there is not a lot to look at other than the 32kb portion which you can read already.

The turbo maps I've driven before have been a bit iffy, odd idle behaviour, VVT jumping in and out at cruise because (presumably) the table had not been updated to suit the larger map sensor.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like you are taking EXACTLY the correct approach to it scoff.

I assume you are only thinking of using the standard ECU for a low boost conversion? As the trouble is of course that if you wanted to do a high boost conversion you would then need a 3 bar map sensor not a 2, and the Atmo reading would be even more ridiculous, the ECU would think it was on the moon, lol.

I hope that if you do manage to really get it to work well that people recognise the difference between you doing it properly and the poor efforts done in the past, as the default answer we all give currently to if a turbo conversion can be done on the stock ECU is that no it cant as no one has bothered to do a decent enough job of the background work required to do it well and it sounds like you are putting a lot of effort in to change that.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
There's one reason why I never did what your doing Chris and that's the copy shops! So much time to invest and once complete it will be copied. Yes you can change the keys for obd but that doesn't stop anyone with the ability to bench an ecu reading all the hard work!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There's one reason why I never did what your doing Chris and that's the copy shops! So much time to invest and once complete it will be copied. Yes you can change the keys for obd but that doesn't stop anyone with the ability to bench an ecu reading all the hard work!

So true, seen it happen loads of times in other makes.
Ok it needs slightly more skill than a chip copier on a c20let or YB ecu but even still it will happen if there is a market for a lot of people wanting them and if there isnt then no point doing it at all commercially speaking.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Dead right Paul, I won't be releasing with stock software. I had these conversations right at the beginning - far too many hours sunk in to this already !

Low boost only Chip, you're just asking too much of the ECU to deal with anymore. I think in the past guys have used the 225 MAP sensor which is 2.5 bar, no ? I'm using a 2bar Delco, direct swap for the OE. That automatically means the baro fudge isn't a bad and it gives us a bit more resolution. The way the ECU calculates injector duty from the fuel maps is also a bit of a problem but not too difficult to get around. It might be possible to run 10psi or so safely but since we have no way of cutting power if it overboosts I need some headroom in the map to make it very safe if it does. :)