ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY std ECU mapping

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Makes perfect sense to me Chris, if you can offer a really nice package for even 10psi I am sure it will be popular.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
would be great if it could be done, especially without the expense of a piggy back ecu. how different is the 225 to the 172 ecu? thinking out loud here as i have no idea, but could the 225 ecu not be transplanted into the 172 then tickled to run with it, built for boost from factory, so you would looking at immo and a few other bits? might also require a full de pin and re pin of the wiring harness? though im sure it might be alot more involved but you never know?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Adey, if you are doing all that work to buy and retrofit a 225 ecu anyway, would you not be better off just going for a cheap aftermarket ecu?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
but then your back to having 2 ecu's? how much would one be from a breaker? first off would be to see how different the connections between them are

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
but then your back to having 2 ecu's? how much would one be from a breaker? first off would be to see how different the connections between them are

Its not just the ecu you would need, you would need things like the air flow mater as well for example, so you would be hacking around the loom loads (well needing to add completely new bits really)
It also wouldnt know how to run the VVT I assume.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the meggy runs a maf? thought it was map based. no just another idea out there, paul would be the guy to answer most of it i think

Oh apologies if not, ive never owned one but for some reason thought they did, I know the diesels do but its not my area at all so I will shut up as I dont like people commenting on things they dont know a lot about so shouldnt be doing so myself!

Was just an exmaple of a potential difference, crank sensor offset, the coil on plug instead of coil pack, the calibration of the other sensors etc are all other possible examples I could have used that might either mean a lot of work in mapping or changes to the loom, I just mean "things in general would need changing that will probably take longer than wiring in an aftermarket" but apologies if I picked an incorrect possible.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
it was just an idea that could thrown out there and looked into. not all of us have unlimited funds and im old school and love the bargain hunt scrap yard route of tuning. there are probably plenty but having an ecu built for boost would be a huge advantage rather than tricking a non boost ecu to run boost. chances are its the same amount of work to either ecu just one will be better from the outset as its designed for the job

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
it was just an idea that could thrown out there and looked into. not all of us have unlimited funds and im old school and love the bargain hunt scrap yard route of tuning. there are probably plenty but having an ecu built for boost would be a huge advantage rather than tricking a non boost ecu to run boost. chances are its the same amount of work to either ecu just one will be better from the outset as its designed for the job

I like doing home modifications too, but with a secondhand aftermarket ecu being potentially as little as a few hundred quid and then giving you total control not just able to change a few bits and pieces i just cant see the point in retro fitting stuff unless you can retrofit something you can get a full definition file for relatively easily like a z20let ecu or something, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ideas are good mate, was just trying to throw potential sticking points up as part of the "brainstorm" session.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah it's the double up and double down I was on about it might not like. It's not really a conventional arrangement.
Most aftermarket seems to cope and treat it as normal missing teeth though like you say. So maybe it would work.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
The tooth before the missing 2 is twice as big, grind away half of it and it becomes a 62-2 ;)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
iirc the original flywheel has '62' teeth but two of them are bonded together and one is missing. so grind away half of the long tooth and it becomes 62-2

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
iirc the original flywheel has '62' teeth but two of them are bonded together and one is missing. so grind away half of the long tooth and it becomes 62-2

Will have a measure up some time to work out the distance and how many teeth it effectively corresponds to once you grind the lot away into one big gap.

At least its not like a williams with 44 minus 2 at the top and minus 2 at the bottom, that really was stupid!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I have a pic of my 'Scoff' flywheel where i have ground away the long tooth, will have a look tonight if i also have the original trigger on a pic. Should be the same as the original flywheel as Chris designed it to work on OE management

R5GTT, 2L turbo
It's 60-2, but the clio's one is 60-2-2. however most standalone runs if on 60-2 configuration

Electrically it's still 60-2 - if the VR polarity is correct it'll scope, and so trigger like a 60-2. The double tooth helps to damp the transient spike you get from a normal 60-2. In other words it could work fine with the VAG. Angles are slightly different, and I guess you'd need to fashion in a VAG pedal and throttle. Might work really well :)

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Yes you can grind one half of the big tooth away to make a normal 60-2 if you need to. Its a double tooth followed by a single missing tooth, so cutting away the latter part of the double tooth means you get 58 even size teeth and 2 missing.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Hhhmmm i thought i had to grind it away to make it work with a 60-2 trigger pattern, anyway it does work with the megasquirt setup for 60-2

is i understand it correct the original is 60-1-1 not 60-2-2

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Probably the best way. Wideband tuning them makes them soooo easy to map.

They drop the engine loom and ecu in plenty of different cars so a swap into the clio could be possible, get a trigger pattern sorted and it's a cheap loom and ecu swap in with almost limitless tuning potential, I'll buy a pint for anyone who properly look into it. Could be a very possible solution. I've also read about grinding a tooth out on the 62-2-2 to make it 62-2

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Electrically it's still 60-2 - if the VR polarity is correct it'll scope, and so trigger like a 60-2. The double tooth helps to damp the transient spike you get from a normal 60-2. In other words it could work fine with the VAG. Angles are slightly different, and I guess you'd need to fashion in a VAG pedal and throttle. Might work really well :)
You can all thank me for my crazy ideas if it works lol

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Lol, prior to reading you post i figured i had it wrong!

is the vag ecu really that simple? Could make for a nice standalone'ish ecu then
shame all modern cars use can comms for tacho etc

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Not only the ecu is better documented, almost everything is. Probably has something to do with VAGs marketing and so sales. Shame as i really like the 'being different' mentality of Renault

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The only real gain is that you can run richer upto 5K where the standard car is too lean, which will help get rid of the sub 5K flatspot, you wont pick up huge power gains though from a map, from 5K on the maps arent terrible from the factory anyway.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
heres another question, is it possible to pull a mapped 32kb file off one ecu and flash it to a second ecu? i have a mapped ecu but its off a car without cruise control, i would like to flash it to my current ecu and keep my creature comforts and original uch.