ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Definitive answer to 172 vs. 172 Cup /182 castor difference?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Checked our non cup packed suspension 182 today which appears to be on the original wishbones still (bushes look very old) and it has the extra caster arms as per the official renault spec of all later cars having the extra caster.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Oh hang on... My castor reads 3.03 and 3.04, I was under the impression my car had non cup arms but the castor would say otherwise?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's likely that all New ph2 wishbones are now the same spec I would think.

No, there are two types available still and the default from most dealers seems to be the ones with less castor, you need to use the correct part numbers (as provided earlier in this thread) to ensure you get the correct ones.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh hang on... My castor reads 3.03 and 3.04, I was under the impression my car had non cup arms but the castor would say otherwise?

It depends on how much the front and rear are lowered relative to each other, if the rear is dropped a bit more than the front you can see that amount on a standard car, but yes generally speaking if its over 3 it hints you might have the better arms, why not just take a wheel off and have a look?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I was told they were non cup arms, rear and front is about the same, if anything front is lower on the cooksports.

I'm not all that bothered tbh just happy to know I have the 3.0 castor. I'll have a look next time its on ramps.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Just looking at my alignment sheet on my cup packed 182

1°59' one side and 2°19' the other.

I guess I ought to check whether it has the correct wishbones fitted, but if not, I I guess I can simply redrill the front hole as Chip has done.

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar
Just looking at my alignment sheet on my cup packed 182

1°59' one side and 2°19' the other.

I guess I ought to check whether it has the correct wishbones fitted, but if not, I I guess I can simply redrill the front hole as Chip has done.

That is a small difference, you would get that to change just by undoing everything and doing it back up again.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
My point was more the fact that they are almost a degree out from what they should be.

Audi (R)S2, 1.6 16v
Just taken a peek at this thread for the first time in a while... looks like the culprit has been found! 5 pages since I left it alone. Will check my 272 and see what I've got on there. With the 172 cup/182 cup suspension on there, this should finish it off nicely if there's more to be had.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yeah I was told they were non cup arms, rear and front is about the same, if anything front is lower on the cooksports.

I'm not all that bothered tbh just happy to know I have the 3.0 castor. I'll have a look next time its on ramps.

You absolutely have non cup arms. Fact

BG FF 182
Looking at my alignment below, would you say I could have the wrong wishbones fitted? Car is 182 Cup FF. Brakes and goes in a straight line, steering wheel is straight. 16" Turinis.

Had it checked for accident damage, albeit it briefly, nothing obviously bent.

clio.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From that it looks like non cup arms but ride height effects it. Stripping rear for example loses caster unless you correct the height after. So can't tell from a printout. Just look at them!

BG FF 182
Will check the arms soon, off work sick at the moment.

What are the part numbers for the extra caster arms please? They come with bushes?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will check the arms soon, off work sick at the moment.

What are the part numbers for the extra caster arms please? They come with bushes?

They come with bushes, part number is on here somewhere but I dont have it to hand, if you buy from adam at renault wolverhampton though he knows the numbers and will send the right ones :)

BG FF 182
Cool. Will taking the wheel off be enough to see the type I have? And a photo from underneath? And the hole closer to the front is extra caster?

Sorry if this has already been posted, i'm out my face on dihydrocodeine all day this week.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You dont even need to take the wheel off, just jack it up a bit to see.
Or you can tell by feeling the wishbone around the balljoint and if there is similar space front and back its the early arms and if its got the balljoint sitting right near the front edge its the later spec ones.

BG FF 182
Cheers Chip. Are changing the inner tie rods easier with the wishbone removed? I'm thinking while the wishbones are off, I may aswell replace them plus any other bushes

clio 172 and 172 Cup
Old thread but great information. Literally this week bought two clio 172's. One a Cup and one what I understand to be referred to as a flamer. Both having engine birthdays. One a clutch and pas pump as well. :up:

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3