ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Definitive answer to 172 vs. 172 Cup /182 castor difference?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Okay will get some cup ones then.

Along with that I will get a N/S balljoint.

Just hope it sorts it out. Is there a possibility an incorrect balljoint could be the cause?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Okay will get some cup ones then.

Along with that I will get a N/S balljoint.

Just hope it sorts it out. Is there a possibility an incorrect balljoint could be the cause?

Cup ones come complete with the balljoint fitted.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can you explain? Sorry for my stupidity lol.

Often when you corner weight a car you need to set the height slightly different on one corner relative to another to get the distribution of weight correct.

Obviously first you should always move weight instead, but as a final resort, you have to do that sometimes.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh so it should sort the issue then.

Chances are if it doesn't something has bent although it drove fine before getting the balljoint.

Sorry for the thread hijack but is there anything else worth changing other than the wishbones? just for a general refresh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ahh so it should sort the issue then.

Chances are if it doesn't something has bent although it drove fine before getting the balljoint.

Sorry for the thread hijack but is there anything else worth changing other than the wishbones? just for a general refresh.

Any of the following that show signs of wear or play:
Strut top mounts
Track rods
Track rod ends
Steering rack bushes
Dampers (cup ones are an upgrade)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Often when you corner weight a car you need to set the height slightly different on one corner relative to another to get the distribution of weight correct.

Obviously first you should always move weight instead, but as a final resort, you have to do that sometimes.

Ah right I see. He did explain it to me in there but tbh I forgot half of what he said now lol.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Any of the following that show signs of wear or play:
Strut top mounts
Track rods
Track rod ends
Steering rack bushes
Dampers (cup ones are an upgrade)

Cheers mate thanks for the help just hope changing the parts resolves my issue at the same time :).

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
If it doesnt then the subframe or shell being bent are most likely I would say.

I really hope not lol and I very much doubt it as I haven't done anything from when it felt fine to like this.

Unless maybe a pot hole can cause it.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Unlikely unless it was so harsh it popped the tyre and bent the rim etc.

Nope nothing like this.

Originally I had the balljoint done and it felt shite so thought alignment must be out as it can be after changing worn parts so got the tracking done and still felt a bit funny but was liveable although I want to get it done now as I would rather it was perfect.

182cup & 172 racecar
I'm trying to work out, how changing a ball joint could make it feel so different.

Got any pictures, as I find this very strange.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure mate I didn't do it just put it in a local garage for an mot and it failed on lower balljoint O/S.

What do you want pics of? both the front wheels?

So to be clear are there just 2 types of bottom arm??

1 type for a PH1 and PH2 172

And 1 For the 172 Cup and all 182's

Also does anyone know the Renault part numbers for these arms?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'm not sure mate I didn't do it just put it in a local garage for an mot and it failed on lower balljoint O/S.

What do you want pics of? both the front wheels?

i'll put money on it that they've fitted one with 10mm holes and bolts so it's fitting on the piss

182 FF, A6 Avant
So to be clear are there just 2 types of bottom arm??

1 type for a PH1 and PH2 172

And 1 For the 172 Cup and all 182's

Also does anyone know the Renault part numbers for these arms?

Bump, anyone know the answer to this?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Recently fitted 2 new 172 cup wishbones to my clio and it feel very nice I must say.

And have managed to just about keep the arch liners.

Got to be better than having 1 cup and 1 non cup wishbone on the car lol.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL @ one of each.

Could be useful if you are doing oval racing I guess.

Lol that was my issue I asked for your opinion on in another thread, turned out I had 2 different wishbones on :eek:

Was good at turning left and I always got tyre sequel pretty early when pushing it round a right hand bend.

I was driving the car for over 6 months like it and was pretty used to it tbh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Proper shocking mate.

Cant believe how few people actually knew about the different wishbone options before I started mentioning it on here, even well known breakers were sending out the wrong ones etc. Shows how little public domain info there is on these cars in the UK

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Haha yeah I doubt I was the first and I'm sure I wont be the last to have the wrong wishbone fitted.

I must have wasted £300 just trying to get local garages set the alignment and diagnose it. 5 mins with Dan at 519 under it and he could already see what the problem was.

182 FF, A6 Avant
No, ph1/2 172's and 182's share the same lower arms. It's just the 172 Cups that have their own variation of lower arm, which has more caster than the other Clios.

It's the 182 Cup pack suspension that I want to know about though... i.e. are my current arms the same as the 172 Cup ones or not.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Lol that was my issue I asked for your opinion on in another thread, turned out I had 2 different wishbones on :eek:

Was good at turning left and I always got tyre sequel pretty early when pushing it round a right hand bend.

I was driving the car for over 6 months like it and was pretty used to it tbh.

I read that thread when searching on this last night! Madness!

It also proves that Renault are wrong when they say there is only one pair of part numbers for all cars.

182 FF, A6 Avant
All the 182's are the same as the Ph1/2 172's, apart from the 172 cup. Like I said, all the Clios have the same lower arms other than the 172 Cup.

Thanks Nick. Now to see if Renault can find the part numbers on the system.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Cheers.

I've got a list of reg numbers for a 172, 172 Cup, 182, 182 Cup & 182 with cup packs. About to trawl through them for part numbers now.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Right, with the help of Colin at Wests we've established that there is something wrong with the Renault parts system! All variants of 172/182 come back with the same part number for wishbones!

The only option now is to get a part number for them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Right, with the help of Colin at Wests we've established that there is something wrong with the Renault parts system! All variants of 172/182 come back with the same part number for wishbones!

The only option now is to get a part number for them.

LOL, chocolate teapots!!! there's nothing wrong with the parts system, I ordered some off it for Adams car

Discounted 1*2 parts
funny enough dan renault have updated the look up dailogys like they do every mounth and have pissed around with the part numbers im trying to sort this out!!!