ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Decent winter tyres v's premium summer tyres

172/vx220t/m135i
In preperation for another undoubted miserable, cold, snowy winter I've been searching for some winter tyres to cope with the chaos it generally causes. My front kumho's are just about on the way out and with the rears not great either I thought it would be a perfect time to replace all four. I've found what looks like a good winter tyre at a reasonable cost in the Yokohama w.drive v903, seems to have good ratings to deal with the rain, ice, snow etc. I've got these priced at around £300 fully fitted. My question is really whether there is a good enough summer tyre that would cope well enough if we do get the predicted awful weather, it would save me having to buy summer ones next year if there was a premium tyre that can cope with all seasons. Suggestions on specific tyres would be grateful, I don't really have a set budget so open to all ideas. Just to add, my car is a 172 currently running on 195/45/16's. Thanks.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Generally you would get away with an all season tyre but they don't exist in the smaller car sizes. They are aimed more for small 4x4s etc.

There isn't really any premium summer tyre that will cope with harsh winters/ minus temperatures etc.

Even budget winter tyres are leagues ahead of a decent summer tyre in winter conditions. All depends how bad a winter we are going to get this year.

I had 4 winter tyres on my 182 last year and there was literally no where it could not go, people were stuck on dual carriage ways near me where it was a steep hill and my clio with 3 people in sailed up it no problem at all. Hoping to put 4 winter tyres on my gsi this year too and see how well that performs.

I assume the £300 fully fitted is for 4 tyres?

172/vx220t/m135i
Generally you would get away with an all season tyre but they don't exist in the smaller car sizes. They are aimed more for small 4x4s etc.

There isn't really any premium summer tyre that will cope with harsh winters/ minus temperatures etc.

Even budget winter tyres are leagues ahead of a decent summer tyre in winter conditions. All depends how bad a winter we are going to get this year.

I had 4 winter tyres on my 182 last year and there was literally no where it could not go, people were stuck on dual carriage ways near me where it was a steep hill and my clio with 3 people in sailed up it no problem at all. Hoping to put 4 winter tyres on my gsi this year too and see how well that performs.

I assume the £300 fully fitted is for 4 tyres?

I did search for an all weather tyre but like you say there is nothing really out there for the smaller size. Yes the price was fully fitted, could probably go cheaper but thought the Yokohama seemed like a happy medium. I suppose if a cheap winter tyre would be up for the job that might be the way to go beings as I'd be swopping back in the summer. Out of interest what winter tyres did use use on your 182 last year?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Not a bad price fully fitted really.

Have a look at a few other brands such as Nexen, Nankang, Nokians, Vredestein etc.

Last year I ran Toyo Snowproxes and couldn't fault them at all. I was out in the snow all the time in the car and it never struggled once. Closed roads were very fun haha! I was running 195/50/15, I still have them actually and need to sell them on as they are of no use to me this year.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ Listen to Ben he's tried more tyres than most

I was very impressed/surprised at how good winter tyres actually are, first time id used them last winter (on a RWD MX5) and it went everywhere I wanted it too

That was including up in North Yorkshire, where they got some decent snow and not just a light dusting

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
^ Listen to Ben he's tried more tyres than most

I was very impressed/surprised at how good winter tyres actually are, first time id used them last winter (on a RWD MX5) and it went everywhere I wanted it too

That was including up in North Yorkshire, where they got some decent snow and not just a light dusting

Haha cheers mate!

Yeah most people are genuinely shocked at how good winter tyres actually are. They are in a league of their own when on proper snow. I drove down to Freds last year in the snow and then back up to leeds where everyone was sat in lane 1, I was enjoying the middle lane all to myself ha!

Really want some this year to see how good they perform on the boost bus.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Winter tyres FTW. 100%. Local place here will store your spare wheels/tyres for free between seasons. Might find somewhere near you that does that ?

Ben, do you still work for CamSkill ? :)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Winter tyres FTW. 100%. Local place here will store your spare wheels/tyres for free between seasons. Might find somewhere near you that does that ?

Ben, do you still work for CamSkill ? :)

What winter tyres do you run on the Subaru?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hankook W310 .. in fat 16". They're OK .. not incredible but very good I'd say.

Braking hard from, ok, lets call it 60, on snow/ice into large dual carriageway roundabouts and full throttle out the other side in 2nd/3rd was no issue at all last time I checked ;) Bit like a wet day in a normal car.

When behaving driving normally to work etc during the cold season, the only way I knew the ground was slippery was when I near enough fell over getting out of the car :eek:

6172817846_94406ff938_z.jpg

Sealed and ready to roll ! by TheEvilGiraffe, on Flickr

Good year ultragrip

aweosme tyres. I was overtaking 4x4's in the snow in my clio on the ultragrip 7s, So good I bought a set of the ultragrip8's for my fiesta, my mum has just got a set for her fiesta and my brothers fiesta also runs them in the winter (lives near aberdeen so gets 4 foot of snow..). He was one of those people who didn't think they would make much difference. Once he had them he couldn't believe how wrong he was. Absolutely essential up there! There are so many people who think they are a waste of money. What they don't seem to realise is that while you are using the winter tyres, you are saving your (usually expensive) summer rubber so it makes no difference. Also being able to make it into work for a couple of days (wher eyou wouldn't have on summer tyres) will make your money back straight away. Small price to pay for the comfort of knowing you/your family aren't going to be stranded all night.

Only bad thing is that so many people are on budget/bald normal tyres slowing the highway infrastructure so once they cause a gridlock.. you are kinda screwed anyway.

We got them from mytyres, you can buy them ready mounted on steel or alloy wheels. Saves the ballache of having them fitted and removed every year. Also stops you risking kerbing your best alloys in the snow.

everyone was sat in lane 1, I was enjoying the middle lane all to myself ha!

That's the best bit... everyone travelling in single file at 20 in lane 1 and you can just plough past at 60 in lane2.

people seem to think they are ''snow tyres''

they aren't, they are for cold weather. Once the weather sticks below 7degrees I get them on.

Oh and the fact you will struggle to ever suffer aquaplaning makes them ideal in bad rain/slush!

182 Cup & DCi 172
Winter tyres are awesome - put mine on yesterday ready for winter, second winter out of this set, used them on the Ka last year and never once came near getting stuck.

Unbelievable in the wet and like night and day compared to normal tyres in the snow

My personal recommendation is Vredestein Snowtrac 3, I use them in 195/50/15 on my Williams wheels.

Rob

172/vx220t/m135i
Cheers for the feed back folks, think that's the way I will go then for the winter, just need to decide which make now :)

172/vx220t/m135i
Can't really find many options for winter tyres on 16's, no budget ones seem to be available when trying black circles etc online, the Yokohama ones are about the cheapest so think it will have to be those unless anyone knows of any other places to try.

Clio 182 FF
Just had a look and there's actually a decent choice of Winter rubber in 205/45/16.
  • Toyo Snowprox S 953
  • Goodyear Ultragrip GW-3
  • Dunlop SP Wintersport M3
  • Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
  • Pirelli W210 Sottozero
  • Michelin Alpin A4
  • Continental WinterContact TS 850

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
For the 16" Clio tyres, look at 195/45 as well.. Seem to be cheaper !!

Less is more when it comes to snow - the (proper) Mini's were king in the 70s on the winter rally stages thanks to their skinny tyres ;)

I've opted for a set of Toyo snoprox, from tyres-pneus. I had ordered a full set of hankook i*cept's from camskill and surprise surprise despite saying instock on the website got an email today to say they are out of stock with no delivery date.

172 rag
Try ebay de. Some have free shipping as well
I used to go to Austria quite often and I couldnt beleive the sorts of things that you can do with winter tyres.
All descent winter tyres in close to zero conditions are a safe bet.
And try narrow tyres for snow conditions as stated above

Last edited:
  535d / t5 caravelle
I've opted for a set of Toyo snoprox, from tyres-pneus. I had ordered a full set of hankook i*cept's from camskill and surprise surprise despite saying instock on the website got an email today to say they are out of stock with no delivery date.

s**t hot tyres had them on for the last 2 winters, up and down hills in the snow everywhere, as opposed to being stuck outside my house in my goodyears the year before! And ear very well even when driven on hard above 6 degrees.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've used Avon CR85s for the last few years on a megane coupe, don't have that this year so bought the same for the Clio. Just need to get the wheels painted soon and get them mounted.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Those contis seem to win every test atm
They are what i'm getting.

That was what I found when looking around at winter tyres for the merc.

4xConti WinterContact TS850s in 205/55/16 from Ears Motorsport came to £329 I think - absolute bargain.

I'm half tempted to find a cheap set for the Clio for some snow rallying :D

They look pretty agressive!
2013-10-28123254.jpg