ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Damp smell from blowers help

R26
every so often my blowers blow out a damp like smell, anybody had this before? any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

its dirty, its got worse and worse too? also its NOT as bad when the aircon is on. any help at all would be great :)

Dean

172 Race Car
Its the bacteria in the a/c by the sounds of it. You can get a cleaning spray from car shops.

Some of the condensation the a/c removes stays in the heaterbox and gets smelly.

R26
cheers mate that sounds like it, thinking about it, it usually happens when ive had my a/c on, then use my car the next time with no a/c on

Edit - any idea what the spray is called?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mine does this, i've had the a/c on day before then switch it on next day smells damp, goes away quickly though.

172 Race Car
cheers mate that sounds like it, thinking about it, it usually happens when ive had my a/c on, then use my car the next time with no a/c on

Edit - any idea what the spray is called?

Mine does this, i've had the a/c on day before then switch it on next day smells damp, goes away quickly though.
Yea thats it. There was a tip given to me on an air con course once that if you turn the blower onto hot for 2mins before the end of your journey it kills the bugs off. It never worked for me tho. Some cars (iirc its BMW) have a strategy where the fan will run automaticly after the car is stopped to try and clear it.

Think the spray is called sanitiser.

Its like a grenade, you set it going and it just continualy sprays. Got to shut all the doors and windows with the a/c on full with recirc and the spray going inside the car. It flows around the system cleaning it.

172 Race Car
Thats it chap. You can gt some other stuff that need spraying into the system. Need to spray it down all the vents and into the pollen filter housing etc but the 'bomb' style ones are the easiest to use.

You can see the airflow in the car too as the cloud of spray circulates

53 Clio's & counting
As Jay has said, we use them at work, and they work wonders, Claires ST170 stank till about a week ago when i used one of these on it

None
I used the halfords one when i started to get a musty smell, it works perfect and 6 month on still no smell, i would recommend changing the pollen filter too though, when i did mine last year it still had the original one in :S

These sound great, my a/c intermittently produces bad smells (oddly, it ususally chucks out the bad smell when I've just taken a tight bend??????)

Do these 'bombs' cause any problems with the interior - do they leave a residue on the plastics, leather, Alcantara, etc?

Golf GTD Mk7
had this issue myself. Crank up the heaters (full heat full blow ;)) and leave them for a while (windows open obviously) and it should remove the damp.

Jay have you seen my issue thread :(

R26
This may be a stupid question but when your circulating with a/c on, do you have the temp up high, low or what? Lol

None
Why temp do you set it too when you do it? Or don't it matter? (I'm
On about the bomb btw)

The sanitizer cans you get are fragranced so it makes the car smell really nice, you set the can going behind the front seat, put the climate control on the coldest setting at full speed (engine running of course), shut the door and leave for 5 minutes, job done :)

Gonna have to give this a go.

Can you get unfragranced ones - want to get rid of the bad smell, but wouldn't want it to end up smelling like a girls car ;)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Failing the suggestions for sanitisers/deoderisers, have you checked that your front bulkhead drains under the scuttle panels are clear? I've had a blockage in mine before which was allowing water to build up and overtop into the fan unit/vent system on the drivers side.

I assume the smell on mine was from stagnant water trapped in the bulkhead (must have been at least a litre in there!). It went after letting it drain.

Hope this helps.

Track 172cup
cheers Burp just ordered some off that Ebay link, will see if it works

what one did you use Pres ?