ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CTCRC pre 05 race car build #claudetheclio

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
So...
This is it for the year, needs a few bits an pieces sorting out before it's used next.
photo_1.jpg

Big old list to do, main one is the gearbox, it's always had a whine so it's time to sort it, clutch too, needs a cam belt as it's been leaked on from the cam seals, dephaser pulley needs doing as well, plus an oil cooler as it gets a bit warm.
Loadsa money

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Got a load of bits ordered today;
Powerflex front arm bushes
Powerflex rear beam bushes
Mocal 10 row oil cooler with thermostatic sandwich plate
INA cambelt kit
New aux belt (again) and tensioner
Power steering pump
New clutch cable
New dephaser pulley
New gear linkage bushes
Got an organic clutch kit sorted too but I want to have a look at it before I decide on that one or not.
Might have sorted a half cage too but I'm not sure if the guy will accept my offer :lol:
My mate has a gearbox spare so that's going to be sent off for a rebuild.
Inlets are going off this weekend to be ported then everything will be put together hopefully in time for Cadwell on November the 30th.
Need some other wheels and tyres though, just in case it rains!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
image21.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

Gearbox has been collected by the local gearbox company to be inspected and have anything which is worn replaced.
I'm seeing a guy on Thursday about a roll cage, getting some prices and seeing what he can do for me.
Still need to find a decent clutch, got a Black Diamond one on my desk and a Valeo (standard) one but I'm trying to get a price on a Helix one or a Sachs motorsport one too before I decide.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Gearbox is done, didn't need anything really but I told them to do the bearings anyway and replace all the seals so it should be spot on for ages now.
Also decided just to go for a standard Valeo clutch instead of an uprated one.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
It's alright, wouldn't have been my first choice but I was fairly limited by the fact mines a 182 cup and there's about 3 options to choose from!

Got some more wheels ordered today, same as the white ones but gloss black, bit disappointed that they didn't have white but they'll do.

Also sorted a roll cage.

4 weeks today and the car needs to be done!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
It's just not the brand I would have picked given more choice. They're not that bad in fairness, maybe a little soft but springs aren't expensive anyway so I'll change them in the future.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Looks well on track. It's good practice to file a bit of the paint off the end tabbs/ears of the backing plate of those DS2500, nothing drastic but 1mm of vertical movement will help

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
They're fitted without the shims, couldn't get them to work at all with the shims in place but there's about 1mm of movement without so it works perfectly.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
7x15 ET35, same as the other set.

They don't catch on the arches but they do catch on the spring seats so need to pull some camber out :(

Am I correct in saying Et35 means they are more "flush" to the outside of the arches and an ET 38 will do the opposite? How much are you lowered by? Im thinking of going between 15-30mm

Would I be right in saying an ET of 38 would make your problem of rubbing worse? I just ask as I want to run 15's with no issues.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Am I correct in saying Et35 means they are more "flush" to the outside of the arches and an ET 38 will do the opposite? How much are you lowered by? Im thinking of going between 15-30mm

Correct. Not sure on how low it is, it's pretty low but it's on coilovers so it's hard to measure.

Or stick a 5mm spacer in there.

That's the plan but need to convert to stud and nut to do it really

Would I be right in saying an ET of 38 would make your problem of rubbing worse? I just ask as I want to run 15's with no issues.

It would have done, I think it would have destroyed the tyres on the spring seat.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Yep, rear with double diagonal and harness bar, front with single door bars.

Was a few quid but it's worth it!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
image33.jpg
image34.jpg

image35.jpg

019.jpg

218.jpg

:cool:
The Mrs did all the driving, more than 100 laps, I don't like Cadwell so I gave it a miss, not my kind of circuit at all, she's a better driver than me anyway :lol:

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
I did it last November in my old E36 328 and hated it, it was slippier then though and the car was awful.

I need to slim down to get into the seat now though, the standard width ones are a bit snug!

I will do it, just not in a cold, wet, slippy November, maybe in the middle of summer.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
It's usually a bit slippy under the trees, but I'd encourage you to give it another chance

I personally love the place:up:

Car looks lovely! When they are a bit lower at the front you can see some of the design cues they borrowed off the 182 for the 197.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Nope, just had a cracked foglight which was bugging me so removed them both.

Planning on doing something about it next year, it hasn't needed it so far though, the brakes have been perfect.

Clio 172 Cup
Cadwell is my favorite track to race at. Love the place. Plus its 10 minutes from me. I do also like Oulton park but I had a crash there so a little bitter sweet for me. I was driver of the event at Croft. Didn't think I was going to enjoy it but can't wait to go back in 2015!

Do you drive to each track day or tow it there on a trailer?

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Gets driven to and from at the moment. Our other car would tow it but I don't have the luxury of a trailer unfortunately so the towbar gets used for the bike rack!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good with the white wheels and cage. Don't fancy the Gordini stripes?

Wish my Mrs would have a go on track, tried to persuade her a few times but to no avail.

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Had the stripes on it when I bought it, I've got used to it now without so I think they'll be staying off.
It's pretty annoying when your Mrs wants to drive, I wouldn't push her to do it tbh, you'll regret it as you don't get the car to yourself on trackdays!

Robmarriott

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Got myself a genuine Renault stereo blanking plate, fitted it last night but it was dark so the pictures are rubbish, looks much better than a hole though!