ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CS doctors needed. Possible head gasket failure?

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
Hello,

The OH has a 2001 1.2 16v clio that goes through coolant more than fuel and uses a fair bit of oil also. I've had a brief look and after running the car for an hour the coolant level drops quite a bit, maybe an 8th of the bottle between the max and min markers. I've also done a pressure test and the coolant gushes back into the bottle.

The oil filler cap also looks like this:

5198667404_f1a314cf9b.jpg5198076599_ecc99bc83f.jpg

What do we reckon CS?

Thanks

Ewan

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
Thats a head gasket big time! Has it got hot at all?

The gauge in the car sits fine in the middle all day long and the engine stays cool to the touch however the coolant is hot.

Will just let it die and see how many keyrings can be made from it.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well as long as it hasn't cooked itself at any point then its fair to say that it won't have warped the head. All it'll need is a new gasket and belts.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well however much the parts are I.e gasket, cambelt and aux belt kit, coolant and then the labour to do it which will vary depending on who does it.
Obviously steer clear of Renault unless you'd like a John Wayne walk.

Prob a few hundred quid.

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Getting rid of the thing early next year anyway so may just see how it goes, it's just a shopping car really.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id put £100 on the head gasket being fine. these engines always have mayo like that under the oil filler cap unless they are driven long runs regularly, its not an issue dont worry about it, clean it off and give it a good motorway run and i bet it doesnt come back until its doing short journeys again.

the leaking coolant will be the waterpump, the waterpump should ALWAYS without fail be changed on these engines at cambelt renewal as they are always going through them, mine was emptying its header tank in less than 10 minutes at the end lol

oil will likely be either burning or leaking somewhere else.

+1 HGF , that is way way too much for general condensation for short runs. Does it smoke alot? 1/8 in 1 hour is excessive, you should be able to see a slow drip somewhere if its WP.

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
The car does do VERY short journeys. Maybe 4 miles to work and then back again in the cold and then only a long journey of 70 miles each way once a month. Ill give it a clean and run the car on a few long journeys and see what happens. It hasn't had a service in a good while so could get that done while I have it. Anyone know if this could affect the EML as it has been on for over a year and diagnostics blamed it on a faulty lambda, which has been changed, although it is now back on.

ph1 black 172
pull dip stick.... smell the oil if it smells like burnt toast, thats also another tell tale sign of a head gasket failure.....

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
id put £100 on the head gasket being fine. these engines always have mayo like that under the oil filler cap unless they are driven long runs regularly, its not an issue dont worry about it, clean it off and give it a good motorway run and i bet it doesnt come back until its doing short journeys again.

the leaking coolant will be the waterpump, the waterpump should ALWAYS without fail be changed on these engines at cambelt renewal as they are always going through them, mine was emptying its header tank in less than 10 minutes at the end lol

oil will likely be either burning or leaking somewhere else.

someone who speaks sense