ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Creaking steering wheel

Arctic 182
My steering wheel is creaking really badly, and it's definitely been worse in this hot weather. Doesn't matter whether I'm stationary or moving, and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the column and not somewhere else - I can't hear it outside the car. See video below:

I have searched on here and I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

- Rotary switch
- Steering rack bushes
- Ball joints

My suspicion is that it is the rotary switch, firstly because this has only started since I swapped to an aftermarket wheel (I put the original back on for the video to see if it made any difference). I don't know why it would be worse in hot weather though?

@MRBILLYUK - I've seen the video you uploaded when you had the same issue and I don't think mine is the same, which is why I don't think it is ball joints?
@Darren S / @Chris_Beer - I see you said yours make a slightly different noise to Mr Billy's, is it more similar to mine and did you ever get it sorted?!
@Birchdown - do you have any idea? Annoying I'm so far away from you!

Apologies for tagging you all in this, just seems that you guys have had similar issues and may be able to help me resolve it.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I can't ever recall ever having that sort of thing in the video, the only issue I had was more of a clicky / snap issue when parking which turned out to be a driveshaft.

If yours didnt do it before you fitted an aftermarket wheel then perhaps you have disturbed the column plastic cowlings? Hard to tell from the video whats going on.

Stick your head near the peddles and see if you think it's louder at the bottom, and also from outside the car etc as a start point.

Arctic 182
@Chris_Beer Thanks for the reply. I should probably clarify the aftermarket wheel bit - I fitted it around Christmas time and it was initially fine, it's only started doing it in this recent hot weather, having never done it in previous years with the standard wheel on.

I did also fit a ph1 stalk so I did have to take the cowling off, however if it was that it doesn't make sense why it's only doing it in the hot weather. I know a few Clio's also do this when it's warm but mine is very obvious and very annoying!

As far as I can tell it's coming from the top of the column which is why I think it's rotary switch, however I know others have also thought the sound was coming from here and it's been somewhere completely different.

Hopefully others can advise. One other point - it still drives completely fine, it's just the noise.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Will it not be like chris mentions?. When hot the plastic expands.

Try removing it the best you can and go from there.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Yours definitely sounds like it's coming from around the steering wheel area. I could hear mine outaise the car . Like yours mine onky did it when it was hot , dry weather . When it was cooler or wet/damp mine didn't do it.

Arctic 182
I just took all the cowling off and it's still doing it.

Yeah I saw that thread @imprezaworks , that's why I think it's the rotary switch. Maybe I'll try source one off someone breaking a Clio on here and see if that makes any difference. Not sure what else to do?!

@MRBILLYUK Yeah I agree, it's definitely not the same sound as yours was making. Hopefully Birchdown have had a similar case in the past...

Was going to suggest removing the plastics

Try the standard wheel next?

Although it's probably the heat causing it somewhere

The video makes it sound worse than it looks, if that even makes sense, the wheel hardly turns but the noise continues, so yeah maybe its that rotary switch destroying itself

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry - just noticed this now as I’m on holiday.

That noise doesn’t sound anything like what mine did. As Mrbilly says - it was outside of the car that was probably worse.

Mine also did it in hot weather and never got fixed. The only real option was to get a new rack - but there a unicorn’s testicle right there, in how easy they are to obtain.

It’s not started creaking again this year (so far) but I think it will just be a matter of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arctic 182
Finally sorted this, and far easier than expected!

Essentially, when I fitted the ph1 stalk I didn't clip the steering angle sensor back in properly, so it was rubbing.

Thanks for all your suggestions.