ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

corsa vxr v clio 200

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
VXR oversteers like crazy...

Clio is set and sweetly connected to the road.

Size? I chose the Clio. You need to try both - VXR first.

260% JCW
The Corsa looks ok, and it would be cheaper to get some more power out of it. Thats about it though.

I prefer'd the 200, steering wheel felt connect'd to the rest of the car where as in the Corsa it didnt IMO.

d6n

Ph2 172
my old car -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeqs_Yr3DLQ

230bhp, 249lb/ft torque

mods - remus exhaust, dap race lowering springs, eds remap, regal intercooler and hard pipe kit, courtney sport panel filter and team dynamic pro race 1.2 alloys. It was a really nice car mate i loved it.

Torque steer.......yessss, all good fun though, still had a lot of fun on the track

Never drove a 200 so i couldn't comment.

peugeot 207
yeah, im looking at the artic one or a clio 200 alien green. Don't no yet though still i nthe thought process, obv will have to test drive them both.

peugeot 207
my old car -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeqs_Yr3DLQ

230bhp, 249lb/ft torque

mods - remus exhaust, dap race lowering springs, eds remap, regal intercooler and hard pipe kit, courtney sport panel filter and team dynamic pro race 1.2 alloys. It was a really nice car mate i loved it.

Torque steer.......yessss, all good fun though, still had a lot of fun on the track

Never drove a 200 so i couldn't comment.

why would you change for a 172 if you dont mind me asking?

Ph1
Heard a lot of bad things about the VXR. My mate has one and she's forever changing wheel bearings and has had a gearbox replaced under warranty among other niggles.

Their also heavy and the handling is apparently ''twitchy'' not to mention very thirsty on the gas.

Civic Type R
Could of picked up two in the last couple of weeks, both 2007 plates less than 25k miles, and sub 7k @ auction though. BCA have been having quite a few, was tempted on both ocassions, I think they look pretty sweet. Apparently they aint put together too well though, given the choice it would be the 200, no comparison.

BMW M Lite
The warranty on the interior only covers you for a year on the VXR iirc.

That would put me off bearing in mind the Recaro wear situation...

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Both very good cars. I've been fortunate enough to drive both around a track. The 200 Cup is awesome around the track, more refined etc. but that is to be expected. I was left shocked at how well the Corsa VXr done around the same track. Yes it is a wee bit slower, but no by much. Both very capable cars but spend 1k ish on the Corsa and it'll definately be faster.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
i know he's testing a 197 here but this may help you decide

In the hands of a normal person ie. not a former race car driver they aint all that different.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the hands of a normal person ie. not a former race car driver they aint all that different.

Surely having the same person test driving them, regardless of skill, makes it more fair?

If you drove one and a race car driver in the other, you might have a point.

MCS R56
Personally I think the Corsa VXR looks horrid. Never driven one so can't comment further.

This. It's like Vauxhall have just thought, 'what else can we do...?!' when it came to the design. And one of the designers suggesting that they visit Halfords for some advice. Not that the 200 wins on looks.

I'm sure they are capable though and cheap to mod, which is always appealing!

Ive owned a corsa vxr and i loved it, stage 1 with remus exhaust kicking out around 225bhp, was very quick! and with all cars they have issues, wheel bearings, cracked radiators and the dreaded piston 4 issue

But since changing to my 172 cup ive never regretted it one bit, the clio has more character i think and its just so fun do drive, im not gonna knock the corsa though as i has bags of fun in that to, they are good cars to own

Surely having the same person test driving them, regardless of skill, makes it more fair?

If you drove one and a race car driver in the other, you might have a point.

This is true. No one can argue that laptimes do give a fair(ish) indication of a car's ability. I say 'ish' because not all times are achieved on the same day, in the same conditions, with the same driver. Although obviously, in this example it's hard to ignore what Stiff is saying. It terms of ultimate lap pace, it's hard to argue with that video. Again though, most people do not spend a good percentage of their mileage ripping it up around a race track. There's little doubt that the Clio is the better drive when near the limit, but that does't mean it's a better car, does it? Well in this context, then yes, it does. I suppose I'm commenting more on CS's infatuation with speed and lap times. More importantly, lap times that very few of us would be able to get anywhere near. Myself included.

Then again, when all is said and done, I have not driven a 200 or a Corsa VXR, so I'm probably being a bit of a c**t in thinking I'm qualified to comment :eek:

EDIT: We also allegedly already know that their laps on that show are far from entirely true. Or is that only when the most popular car on CS gets beaten?

200 Cup & DC2
For those of us who don't want to modify their car, there's little difference in straightline performance you'll find on the road. The VXR, being more torqey will feel the quicker car though. Vauxhall's lifetime warranty is also very appealing for the potential owner.

Laps times and performance; I'm not a professional racer nor do I launch my car off every traffic light so any figures are pub talk.

I know people who have had issues with both 200s and VXRs. Test drive both, buy the car you like.

peugeot 207
Thanks for the replies guys, so theres no way to squeeze any extra bhp out of a 200 for little money? As modding goes the corsa wins because its turbocharged?

Also, the depreciation of both cars. How does it factor for both?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I bought a 200 mainly because I think the VXR range was styled by a chav that won a competition on a packet of Coco-Pops...

BUT!! You need to drive/look at them both as its all down to the drive for you imo. If you're even considering them together you should drive them both just to see if you can rule one or the other out.

RS 182 CUP
Drove a corsa vxr before, didn't impress me at all, thought it was going to be quicker! Raced one the other day and won, it was on a long bend though

VaVa
The VXR's remind me over the 'MG Z*" range of recent times, in that it's a bit like the designers were short of time and money, and just crashed the standard cars into the the Ripspeed stand at their local Halfords.

I'm not saying the 200 is a thing of beauty ('cos it clearly aint!) btw.. but the VXR is hideous imho.

d6n

Ph2 172
why would you change for a 172 if you dont mind me asking?

hi mate,

Various reasons really. The main one was i wanted to buy a house, and the car was still on finance, so by selling it freed up a lot of cash pm for the savings / mortgage etc. Plus, I was that hooked on modifying it and paticipating in meets / events I was just spending a fortune.

The other reasons, were the amount of liitle issues I had with it, luckily all sorted out under warranty. I have a massive thread count on vxronline under the same user name if you want to know a bit more.

Despite all that I still loved it, but i'm not missing it that much although I would look for a turbo car next as I do miss boost!!!!

I still have as much fun if not more blasting down the b roads in the 172, plus it's paid for, which has allowed my and my fiance to buy a house and we should be getting the keys next week!

Hopefully, i can get it on a few track days as it's much less worrying ragging round in a 3k car and a 13k car!!!

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
depends what u want.

200 has such a sweet chassis, gear change and driving position. I love it in fact.
VXR has the tuning capability but does it have the chassis and terain to cope with power increase. tbh by the sounds of it i think it will drive like s**t. Watch out for 3rd or 4th piston cant remember which one goes bang.

d6n

Ph2 172
depends what u want.

200 has such a sweet chassis, gear change and driving position. I love it in fact.
VXR has the tuning capability but does it have the chassis and terain to cope with power increase. tbh by the sounds of it i think it will drive like s**t. Watch out for 3rd or 4th piston cant remember which one goes bang.

4th is common, but tbh if you treat it right and get in mapped at one of the main tuners then you won't have a problem!

peugeot 207
hi mate,

Various reasons really. The main one was i wanted to buy a house, and the car was still on finance, so by selling it freed up a lot of cash pm for the savings / mortgage etc. Plus, I was that hooked on modifying it and paticipating in meets / events I was just spending a fortune.

The other reasons, were the amount of liitle issues I had with it, luckily all sorted out under warranty. I have a massive thread count on vxronline under the same user name if you want to know a bit more.

Despite all that I still loved it, but i'm not missing it that much although I would look for a turbo car next as I do miss boost!!!!

I still have as much fun if not more blasting down the b roads in the 172, plus it's paid for, which has allowed my and my fiance to buy a house and we should be getting the keys next week!

Hopefully, i can get it on a few track days as it's much less worrying ragging round in a 3k car and a 13k car!!!

lol! allrite man thanks for the breakdown, yeah, im 19 ain't got to worry about getting a house yet, still live at home lol! But yeah, when the times comes i will drive both, it will be the corsa vxr arctic or clio 200 alien green cup. either way, both depreciate badly so it can't be called a good investment lol. Most likely will be the 200 b/cuz mate has a vxr will have to ask to drive his one soon.

RB Clio 200
I would have to say drive both, a lad down my road has the VXR and I have the 200, on a country road I win hands down he says when pushed the corsa feels light and unbalanced. Plus the fact it has been back to vauxhall more times than its seen his driveway doesn't feel me with confidence tbh. Piston 4 issue blew up his first engine and his exhaust blew a nice hole last month.

Clio rs 200
I drove both when I was looking. Ended up with a 200, vxr feels quicker in a straight line but coming out of corners the 200 wins every time. The vxr feels like it's scrambling for grip, the 200 seems to grip and launch you a bit better. But the thing that made me decide was the vxr broke down on the test drive lol. But defo drive both good way to spend a weekend. Plus got Clio on 0% :)

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
straight line grins.. vxr
twisties grins.........200

the comparison vid is with a 197 which the 200 is noticeably quicker again (2-3s a lap iirc)......