ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover height for track

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After doing Oulton today im looking at raising the front, it sits too low. It isnt scrubbing on corners but i 'think' it would handle better ad although its not a fashion show, look better too. Also when measuring the height is it best to do it on the shock. The drivers side does need to be a touch higher. Appreciate any thoughts

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
As long as your not running Ktec coilovers you should be fine ;) Seriously though, rake, front lower than the back imo.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running b14's, it does sit too low tbh. The back looks fine, I only want to adjust the front really. But a general good measurememt all round would be ace

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Not the best pic but that's how my car sits

07807B8B-3841-4165-99CA-8E5457122E6D_zps4hjcwz8t.gif

Track 172 Cup
I was thinking of going to Blink myself as I'm not too far from you and don't know of anywhere local. Probably won't be before I go Oulton on Tuesday so will have to see how it goes then get it done and the see how it is when I go back on the 3rd February.

How was it today weather seemed decent.

182cup & 172 racecar
Def need to get it corner weighted, all this measuring malarky is a complete waste of time. My car sits all over the place (wonky), but that doesn't matter.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking of going to Blink myself as I'm not too far from you and don't know of anywhere local. Probably won't be before I go Oulton on Tuesday so will have to see how it goes then get it done and the see how it is when I go back on the 3rd February.

How was it today weather seemed decent.

Was lucky with the weather, how's it looking for Tuesday?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine corner weighted before I tracked it. What I can say though is the car behaved brilliantly, a guy who races a Clio in tintops also took it out and said it was a well sorted car.

I'd recommend it overall definitely.

Thanks for the reply. How much did they charge mate?

I understand that getting the corner weights as good as possible by increasing or decreasing the preload and that keeping the wishbones parallel is best for the roll centre etc but what height from wheel the arch does this usually end up at or as a base to get started. I have adjustable coil overs but don't know what height to set it at as a starting point.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
That's pretty much what I'm after too. From what is plain to read is that if you get it corner weighted for me it becomes useless if you have a passenger which I allways do, bar when I'm out for a run on my own at weekends etc.

When I say useless I don't mean it quite like that if you know what you mean

dan's cast offs.
chances are if you get your car corner weighted it will be better than it is now even with a passenger.

182cup & 172 racecar
But then if you are then being that picky, not all passengers weigh the same.
So don't start getting carried away with yourself, by going over technical.
When I do passenger laps, I don't alter the set up, once the car had the basics done it's fine.
Can still scare passengers with bad handling car :wink:

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
That's pretty much what I'm after too. From what is plain to read is that if you get it corner weighted for me it becomes useless if you have a passenger which I allways do, bar when I'm out for a run on my own at weekends etc.

When I say useless I don't mean it quite like that if you know what you mean

You are not really going to notice it on the road, Corner weighting only really comes into its on on track, When you are on the limits and pushing the car hard. I went through several geo setups when i had my Fiesta on coil's and you did not really notice the difference that much on the road, On track it became a lot more apparent though

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ok cheers. As its going to be a track only car it makes sense getting that done. Any idea on rough costs?

182cup & 172 racecar
It can be very time consuming, up down, up down, wheels on off, on off etc etc. It's mainly all labour costs.

I agree, not too Important on the road, but if you don't get enough weight on the front and even, you have brake problems, ie snatching and wheel lock.
But what do I know.

182cup & 172 racecar
Get a height that is sensible, not too high, not too low, make sure you have some rake on it (back slightly higher than the front) then get it weighted. At least you will have a starting point. Get it corner weighted for two people if that's what you want, it won't upset the balance that much.

Happy days, go and enjoy.