ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Widearch Volvo Turbo (B18FT) Mega Bass Project almost complete

Clio Widearch
I'm working on that at the moment but i only have to get it to a level whereby the shape and panel gaps are right and the bodyshop will do the last prep, flat and paint

172 Ph2
Bit harsh really mate,

Guy is clearly dedicated to getting his car finished no matter what anyone thinks (same as me...) and I don't think it will look a bad as people make out if it were painted something like Sepang Bronze or something like that

Definitely one off! Thing I would change most would be the spoiler but if op is happy then fairplay, I appreciate the time and effort gone into that

My opinion certainly isn't in the minority.

Wasn't that look all the rage during the 90's/early 00's

oh and it has been on a weigh bridge and was 1.86 tonnes but has since gained a little weight so is probably closer to 1.9 tonnes these days
You've managed to double it's weight?!

Here's some maths though.

You had a 1.4RT I guess, power to weight ratio of 85bhp/tonne

Say you get 160bhp from that engine, and 1.9Tonnes. That's a power to weight ratio of 84bhp/tonne. Lol.

Last edited:
I dont like it but atleast your doing what you want and not just after the forum kudos like most.. so hats off to you.

bit of a mixed bag of comments there..lol. Spinksy sounds like the most on my level and is right that i'm going to finish it no matter what

colour wise i'll be going for Ford Frozen White with black roof and black door protectors with the blue rims and a few choice blue and white graphics

I'm aware its a marmite car and not to everyone's tastes. I think it will look lovely when finished to be fair :) but then i'm biased

Il keep an eye on this mate

I would personally stick to just blue and white as the black may look a bit too busy.... But then again I may be wrong :)

How long you been working on this out of interest?

Clio Widearch
The weight has pretty much doubled yes and i was snapping shocks for fun. The record i think was about 100 yards for a brand new spax shock. As you say the power to weight isn't going to be too great..lol. The 1.4 was really struggling towards the end but this engine should be almost double the power so will help a lot.

I have done a test run on the blue, white and black and it works very well so am hoping for good things there. When its all done properly i think it will look good....for a retro style car :) I like to do things differently and push my skills. If everyone did the same and followed like a sheep life and car modifying would be so boring.

With regards to how long i've been working on it. The current rebuild has been ongoing since January 2012 and the transformation has been massive. The car i have had since 2001 and was showing and Fast Car featured in 2005 in its previous state.

The weight has pretty much doubled yes and i was snapping shocks for fun. The record i think was about 100 yards for a brand new spax shock. As you say the power to weight isn't going to be too great..lol. The 1.4 was really struggling towards the end but this engine should be almost double the power so will help a lot.

I have done a test run on the blue, white and black and it works very well so am hoping for good things there. When its all done properly i think it will look good....for a retro style car :) I like to do things differently and push my skills. If everyone did the same and followed like a sheep life and car modifying would be so boring.

With regards to how long i've been working on it. The current rebuild has been ongoing since January 2012 and the transformation has been massive. The car i have had since 2001 and was showing and Fast Car featured in 2005 in its previous state.

Good effort!

Had mine 4 years and thought it was taking too long lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Clio Widearch
haha. it gets a bit much sometimes when you make a list of what needs doing before you even get to the big stuff....as it sounds like you know with yours. I'm hoping it will be ready for the first show of the season next March. There is still a lot to do but its getting closer and closer.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep

​I take it you've upgraded the brakes as well?

haha. it gets a bit much sometimes when you make a list of what needs doing before you even get to the big stuff....as it sounds like you know with yours. I'm hoping it will be ready for the first show of the season next March. There is still a lot to do but its getting closer and closer.

I know that feeling exactly mate! It sucks balls when you get soo close and something delays you

Hoping to have mine finished (give or take a recaro...) next month :)

Looking forward to your next update dude

Clio Widearch
the brakes are on the list of things to do.I'm looking for a second hand Kec setup with 283mm discs but they're few and far between. They can't be bought new anymore either.

Slinksy - do you have a link to your WIP thread or anything.I like anything that's a bit different so would be interested to see how yours is doing. How i see it is that if you're not careful, you have a vision of what you want and then its all too easy to go on to forums and clubs and slowly but surely you change your ideas to meet others opinions and then you end up at the end thinking...oh what i've done now is built someone else's vision of what the car should be like and made a copy of whatever else is out there.....still that's how plenty like it to be. For me though..individuality is the key. It doesn't matter what you do in the modifying world, some will like it, some will hate it and some will sit on the fence. You can't please everyone so you just have to go with what you want yourself and take opinions on board if required. At the end of the day i built this car for me...nobody else. Yes i would like other people to appreciate what i've done with it but i have always had a vision of what it will look like and its almost there now...exciting times :)

The biggest problem I had is i decided to remove the sunroof and change the whole rear end look as i was never 100% happy with it. Its taken so much work for those 2 things which were never really on the original wish list. The smoothed bumpers also were never supposed to happen..lol. These three things have pushed the project back 12 months but to be fair..i think its been well worth it and wll make all the difference when it finally gets a coat of paint.

the brakes are on the list of things to do.I'm looking for a second hand Kec setup with 283mm discs but they're few and far between. They can't be bought new anymore either.

Slinksy - do you have a link to your WIP thread or anything.I like anything that's a bit different so would be interested to see how yours is doing. How i see it is that if you're not careful, you have a vision of what you want and then its all too easy to go on to forums and clubs and slowly but surely you change your ideas to meet others opinions and then you end up at the end thinking...oh what i've done now is built someone else's vision of what the car should be like and made a copy of whatever else is out there.....still that's how plenty like it to be. For me though..individuality is the key. It doesn't matter what you do in the modifying world, some will like it, some will hate it and some will sit on the fence. You can't please everyone so you just have to go with what you want yourself and take opinions on board if required. At the end of the day i built this car for me...nobody else. Yes i would like other people to appreciate what i've done with it but i have always had a vision of what it will look like and its almost there now...exciting times :)

The biggest problem I had is i decided to remove the sunroof and change the whole rear end look as i was never 100% happy with it. Its taken so much work for those 2 things which were never really on the original wish list. The smoothed bumpers also were never supposed to happen..lol. These three things have pushed the project back 12 months but to be fair..i think its been well worth it and wll make all the difference when it finally gets a coat of paint.

Link under my name mate :)

Click on the bit where I describe my car ;) and I know what you mean mate, mine used to be black and green, but is infinitely better now IMO even though I thought different before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Clio Widearch
at the end of my thread when the cars finished i'll put a few pics of how it was in 2005 and how it sits at the time...should be an interesting one..lol

if you want to see some good stuff on the audio build and how it has come from basically a wreck in the last 18 months visit www.evilice.freeservers.com

A slow one
just read this start to finish, not a fan of the styling but admire the progress and dedication you have. them wheels are immense IMO

Clio Widearch
Well i've been busy with the fibreglass again. I've deepened the rear bumper by 1.5" (Very early stages)

DSCF0636_zps692ef0ee.jpg

DSCF0637_zps23b77f00.jpg

DSCF0638_zps7c576919.jpg

The thing is i quite like the way it looks without exhausts. Here are my options:

cut 2x 4" holes in the rear bumper where the exhausts would come out (original plan)
ditch the rear exhausts and have 2x side exit pipes coming out of the sideskirts

Which do you think would look best?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Why not have not exhaust on show?

Serious amount of work going in to this car on your part.

Clio Widearch
Cheers. It has been a long rocky road

I can choose whether to have the exhausts on show or not...it depends which will look best

Pearl Black Ph2 172
I admire the dedication so far dude , well done.
Regarding the exhausts, could you not grab a mk1 bumper from scrappie, and make one with exhaust cuts and one without?
Interchangeable when the mood takes you :)

You could have them both painted at the same time.
I'm guessing your gonna get a good deal on the spray job from somewhere? So it may be not much extra cash, but extra work definitely.

Clio Widearch
Its not quite that straight forward. Its a widearch fibreglass bumper and is smoothed into the arches. I think i may have to finish the bumper and see how it looks. If i fancy cutting holes for exhausts i will but if not i'll do the side exit idea

Clio rs 200
f**k what everyone else is saying bud, a lot of your man hours have gone into that car and if your happy with it then its a credit to you, the whole point of a modified car is its supposed to be individual, every body on here does the same mods. If your still after help with the b18ft the boys at rtoc.org will most likely help :)

Clio Widearch
cheers benjibrady. I may pop over there for a chat as there is an issue with cooling at the moment.

And thanks for the vote of confidence too. It has taken a while and would have been very easy to give up halfway through with all the problems that have cropped up. I'm just looking forward to everything being finished now. It will be a whole lot tidier and better finished than when i was showing in 20005 that's for sure...almost unrecognisable....and to think originally i was just going to do a couple of month refresh originally..lol

Massively admire the amount of work you're pouring into this! Wouldn't be seen driving around in it myself, but I still like it all the same! I'd say rear exhaust personally. Not a big fan of them on the sides for most cars!

Clio Widearch
i've got to have a proper think about the exhaust about whats dooable and what isn't. It will either be rear or side. I'll have a look at the back end when its all sanded and primered to see if it looks right without exhausts

I think most people will be pleasantly suprised when its all finished, painted and detailed..then again i could be wrong..lol

Clio Widearch
​Its getting there. The back bumper is now 2.5" lower than it was before. Just got to decide if the back end will look right without an exhaust

DSCF0657_zpsfa9d18ae.jpg

Clio Widearch
​Here's how she sits tonight. thought i'd put a spot of primer on and give you an idea of the whole look and how it will come out eventually.

The decision on the exhaust is twin side exit too :)

DSCF0658_zpsec86c496.jpg

172cup
Not my cup of tea, But hats of to you. The amount of work and dedication that has gone into this so far is insane.
​Its certainly different (Y)

Clio Widearch
Its certainly been a larger rebirth than i originally planned but its getting there slowly. I may have an issue with the side exit idea as the fuel lines and tank are going to be close to the pipes. I'll have a proper look around tomorrow night as to where i can realistically put the pipes...could be the side of the rear bumper at this rate

If it was done well, I'd appreciate the work that has gone into it.

But the bonnet doesn't fit (head on, it covers more of the passenger side light), the rear lights overlap by different amounts, the exhaust cut outs are different sizes... I could go on. It looks... botched. Massively, massively, botched.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Quite possibly one of the worst looking cars I've ever seen. Awful.

Yep. Dont know why you want a car like this... its not going to win any shows so it would be silly entering, that means your planning on driving it about, f**k THAT!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
I've just read the whole thread start to finish ...I dread to think how much money has been poured into this.

​good effort though, each to their own

Clio Widearch
I think people are getting a bit sidetracked with how it looks at the moment and how the panels are fitting. I'm no bodywork expert (I'm an insurance claims assessor and IT technician) I'm just getting the panels to the right shape for what i want and then its going into a pro bodyshop to do the proper job, finishing and painting to show standard.

I'm not on any missions to win shows as it did that back in the heyday of these kind of cars when it wasn't even very well put together. It was also mag featured in 2005. It is being built for my own reasons and will be shown when finished. It will be nice to see something different at shows for a change rather than rows and rows of similar cars with maybe a different coloured badge to stand out. Modifying cars is meant to be to stand out from the crowd which people seem to have lost sight of over the last decade. On the whole people have become scared of breaking the mould and doing something different in case other modified enthusiasts frown upon it.....bring back the modified cars of 10 years ago...it was a much better scene with a "balls out" attitude.

Some people love this car, some hate it and some aren't sure yet. When it all comes together in the end, we shall see if anybody thinks any better of it when its done. I'll keep posting pics as it comes along and you'll see how things mature. Its got 6 -8 months work left in it yet...i ask you to be patient :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I understand what your trying to say, and fair enough your doing it for yourself.

Imo though, it looks really bad and i'd burst out laughing if i seen a grown man driving about in something like your car.

Clio 182
Some horrible comments. Well done for trying to be different than the euro scene of 'Clean, slammed & a set of alloys' Keep going & will enjoy seeing a blast from the past!

Clio Widearch
don't worry about the comments. I know i'm in the wrong place for this kind of thing. Luckily i'm not the kind of person that takes things to heart and always finishes what i start if i want it enough. In a weird way the negative comments spur me on to show everyone that its not gonna be as bad as people think it will be...I can guarantee some of the people who say they hate it will still be hovering round it at a show when the system demo's start..lol