ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 or Golf R32???

RS 172
The sensible decision would be to go with the R32, but who ever buys a car to be sensible anyway?? :D

You wouldnt regret getting the V6, but I feel that for the rest of your days in the R32 you'd spot a V6 and wish you had got one.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
You would'nt regret either but i would go for the R32 and have some seats in the back,theres not a massive difference in performance so its a tuffy

Golf R soon...
DazG was having the same dilema a while ago. I think he has a thread on other maques.

Definitely made my mind up now, its the R32 for me!

After looking at the dash board of a 182 for almost two years its time for a change!

Vee dub
I agree with the Revelmeister

MK1 is sweet, but mk2 is just about up there for me with the Golf.

Golf R soon...
There are a few nice examples flying around on pistonheads and autotrader at the mo.

Still having no luck selling the 182. Dropped the price again today!
Part ex not an option ?? Or will they sting you too much ?

I have been considering part exing it but the prices they are giving me are stupid, £5750, is the best so far. Just have to wait for the private sale me thinks!

Golf R soon...
Yep, private all the way, that part ex price is a joke tbh.

Its really annoying knowing that the garage will the ramp up the price to £8k+

I suppose there has to be some kind of money in it for them as well :D

LY V6 with Recaros
I really like the R32, but it's gotta be a vee for me! Much rarer and a real head-turner. But I guess it depends on what you want from the car.

I'm frightened tbh.

Something clicked the other day, saw a reflex blue r32 and went........SEX! :(

Now all of a sudden I've kinda just fallen in love. Been looking on Pistonheads and picking out one to buy lol :( Damn.

Really tempted to get one when I change car, so bloody cheap!

Clio v6
Does this VW R 32 have any distinguishing features?

I saw what I thought was one. Asked my mate if it was an R 32, he said it might be but it's just another VW nobody bats an eyelid at.

Now if it's really so dull and unrecognisable, I wouldn't mind owning one. Sleeper?

Golf 7R

I saw what I thought was one. Asked my mate if it was an R 32, he said it might be but it's just another VW nobody bats an eyelid at.

Now if it's really so dull and unrecognisable, I wouldn't mind owning one. Sleeper?

Twin exhaust set like a 182, R32 badge front grille and boot lid, and have the lovely Konig seats. Also a head turner i must add!

Golf R soon...

Twin exhaust set like a 182, R32 badge front grille and boot lid, and have the lovely Konig seats. Also a head turner i must add!

to add...

completely different front and rear bumpers to a normal Golf, 18" Aristo alloys. They have real nice Konig seats as well, they are seriously comfortable and supportive.

Deep Blue Pearl is a colour only the R32 came in, another distinguishing feature!

i went through the same discission before i got my vee, i test drove both and i would say the r32 is an amazing car, very capable and an all rounder. if the 5 seats over 2 thing is important to you then get one hands down.

however, it doesnt sound anything like the vee and they are common as muck. when i drove the vee it felt like i was driving something truely special, when i drove the r32 it did feel special, but not in the same league. how many times a day do you see a vee drive past?

depends whats more important to you.

and yes i would say the golf is more of a sleeper, theres only very subtle differences to a standard golf. where as the vee is barely anything like a standard clio.

the other thing to consider is you could park the golf anywhere and not really worry about it. but there has to be forward planning when you take the vee somewhere, not just for the actual space (it almost fills a normal space) but it doesnt really like the tight turns, slopes and bumps of car parks. its liveable dont get me wrong, but you have to be aware of it.

golf wins for praticality, no questions!

if your a serious driver, the vee will be more rewarding, if you just want to hoon it about get the r23, cos you'll crash the vee if you drive it like a hooligan.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I bought a Vee, and drove numerous R32s as I was having this same dilemma. My basic thoughts were - The vee turns a lot more heads, sounds better (although the 32 sounds awesome as well), is much rarer and generally makes you feel more special than the 32 does (or indeed more special than you are heh). The R32 is faster in the wet - by an order of magnitude, indeed, you don't really need to adjust your driving if it rains - there is an obscene amount of grip, far more grip than power in fact. But, despite how well composed it was, it felt a bit - I don't wanna say dull because it's still a AWD 240bhp hatch - but you never felt like you were going as fast as you were. It slowed the whole thing down inside because it was so quiet and so refined, and again so planted. In the R32, you hit 3 figures, it's effortless and you don't notice. In the Vee you hit 3 figures, again it's effortless but it feels miles quicker and you KNOW you're going very fast. If that makes any sense heh. In actual speed there is sod all in it, but the Vee does feel the faster car simply because of the engine position, the noise, the lack of weight at the front heh...

In summary - you won't be disappointed with either, I'd choose the Vee - if I wanted back seats and a boot I'd choose the R32.

Dan

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Clio V6 stupidly rare and sexy... R32 very easy to live with...

I would say Clio V6, bit more entertaining to drive...

I'd agree.!

r32 is somewhat boring, unless it's supercharged like a mate of mines! 362bhp! Yeha!

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Im still dunno yet its a hard one. Not test drove any yet need to soon. space would get used if i had it but wouldnt be a prob if i dint. only prob is i do a lot of miles and i dont thing its good to put loads on a vee