ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS Mk4 versions/revisions

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Really confused on the clio mk4 RS iterations. Can someone clear up which model(s) got the updated gearbox software?

They all have the same box, just different software, but you can't map the 'lazier' boxes apparently?

Ph1 came in Sport, Cup and Trophy guises - trophy has the bigger turbo and lower/stiffer suspension, revised intake BUT did this ph1 trophy get the better box software?

Then if it did, are the only changes to the ph2 facelift the looks and lights? The Clio 200 EDC facelift still has the less sharp gearbox?

Or was the gearbox update done only to the ph2 trophy?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I thought it was all phase 2s that got the updated gearbox software, and then the trophy had shorter throw paddles.

I believe the phase 2 software can be flashed onto the phase 1. Pretty sure I've read of Renault doing it themselves.

Aren't the turbos all the same across the range, it's just the larger intake on the later ones?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
The only other discernible difference is a quicker steering rack on the facelift trophy too iirc.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I thought it was all phase 2s that got the updated gearbox software, and then the trophy had shorter throw paddles.

I believe the phase 2 software can be flashed onto the phase 1. Pretty sure I've read of Renault doing it themselves.

Aren't the turbos all the same across the range, it's just the larger intake on the later ones?

Nah all the trophies have the larger turbo mate to get the 20 extra beans.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Phase ones can have the software update as I had it done at Renault on my old 13 plate, it's night and day different.

Mine's a b*****d Clio where it's a 200 with 220 parts.

220 steering rack is quicker,

Hybrid turbo anyway.

220 LED headlights

220 rear LED lights to be fitted

Both front and rear work with an aftermarket loom adapter.

220 grill with the 'chequered flag' but not running the DLR's as the passenger side has a direct cold air feed to the induction kit.

I remember way back asking Renault about installing the RS Monitor but they were adamant it had a separate loom and would only be added on the pre build options sheet. Funny how Stage X can flash in the software!

Pretty sure the facelift models are a different Euro emissions levels too, pretty sure then the Akrapovic option had a different system with cats to the 220.

A lot if not all the 220 goodies can be retrofitted mechanically and by software.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Which ones can you play Nissan GTR sounds through the speakers? Can’t remember ever finding the option to on my mums 220 trophy?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Yes as has been said above the software can be put on the earlier models, but finding a dealer who knows about it can be a mission in itself. But it was 100% worth it for drive-ability. It cost about £70 from memory.
RS monitor can be programmed onto a car fitted with r-link. I managed it but it was tricky.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Software on a ph1 will still not make it on par with a ph2 box.

Personally when I was looking there was not enough box wise to spend the extra stupid 5k difference at the time.

When I drove them both in manual as I always do it just felt the same.

I prefer the look of the ph1s, mines mapped with ph2 alloys and suits me just fine.

I WOULD like my box updated however as mines one of the very first ones and very occasionally (once a month if that) the box gets all confused coming to a junction and gives me a box of neutrals.

I've have read that it's also an issue on ph2s.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yes as has been said above the software can be put on the earlier models, but finding a dealer who knows about it can be a mission in itself. But it was 100% worth it for drive-ability. It cost about £70 from memory.
RS monitor can be programmed onto a car fitted with r-link. I managed it but it was tricky.

Where did you get it done out of curiosity?

2014 Clio 200t edc
@Daz. Tamworth Renault did it for me. Every other dealer I rang had no idea what I was talking about and didn’t seem interested in checking. Tamworth I believe had a tech that had one himself so was aware of the update.
It was in for a few hours and was like night and day afterwards.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Software on a ph1 will still not make it on par with a ph2 box.

Personally when I was looking there was not enough box wise to spend the extra stupid 5k difference at the time.

When I drove them both in manual as I always do it just felt the same.

I prefer the look of the ph1s, mines mapped with ph2 alloys and suits me just fine.

I WOULD like my box updated however as mines one of the very first ones and very occasionally (once a month if that) the box gets all confused coming to a junction and gives me a box of neutrals.

I've have read that it's also an issue on ph2s.
It stops the confusion of the box at junctions but also speeds up the changes at slow speed, especially from cold. Although manual changes didn’t change I don’t think. I personally felt that it was much better but appreciate everyone has different perceptions.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Was the reflash applied to some ph1's or is it something that always needed to be requested by the owner?

Sorry to jump on @Danith but are there any common issues with these cars? known faults and niggles

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Was the reflash applied to some ph1's or is it something that always needed to be requested by the owner?

Sorry to jump on @Danith but are there any common issues with these cars? known faults and niggles
Lower hose clip failure causing lost coolant

Dying batteries causing weird faults

The plastic pipe off the throttle body can blow the plastic welds off the bend. There's metal inlet pipes available to sort that

Other than that I've not heard of much else commonly going wrong. Clutches go but some last 40k and some last 150k+ (@Sash )

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Lower hose clip failure causing lost coolant

Dying batteries causing weird faults

The plastic pipe off the throttle body can blow the plastic welds off the bend. There's metal inlet pipes available to sort that

Other than that I've not heard of much else commonly going wrong. Clutches go but some last 40k and some last 150k+ (@Sash )

Cheers for that. Being edc is there anything to worry about doing a clutch on these do you know?

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone gone from a MK3 Mégane to a 200/220?

I've never really given them too much attention but I have to admit I now quite fancy giving one a try for a while.

Will do some reading up I think 😁.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
You can’t sell, you’ve got to keep it for when mine needs replacing…. 😂😂

You can have it after me 😂

Do you have 18 inch turini on yours? Fit ok wkgh 225 40 18?

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Has anyone gone from a MK3 Mégane to a 200/220?

I've never really given them too much attention but I have to admit I now quite fancy giving one a try for a while.

Will do some reading up I think 😁.

I don't think this is a very fair comparison, but I have a mk3 275 on the road and race a 200/220.

Prior to the 200/220, I was racing in GT4s. The 200/220 platform is without doubt the most fun and competitive car I've driven.
Mega chassis (granted beefier thanks to the cage and strengthening works) that really communicates to the driver. So much so that in the wet, you can back the car in on the brakes on three wheels with ease. It can and will show it's heels to much bigger machinery.

The 275 chassis is stiff, very stiff. Out of the box it feels fantastic, I’ve left the car standard (aside from the brakes) and just enjoy it as it is. Handles really well, plenty of power and always puts a smile of my face. Comparing power is a bit unfair as they’re two very different engines. Would I switch to a 200/220 on the road...probably as they're cracking little cars. The factory x98 cup shares a lot of parts with the road variant, so it wouldn't take much to make it go like stink. My only gripe is the 200/220 should of had a manual option but, I wouldn't let it put me off owning one.