ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS 197 FF v FF Cup Pack

Clio 197 R27 Albi
Hello People,

Shortly I plan to move out so need to sell my Golf GTi to free up some money. I miss my old 182 FF Cup Pack so I've decided I'm going to get a 197 :).

I've done my research (& Used the search + good old Google!).

I want a 197 FF with Cup Pack (& Hopefully Recaros). The cup does not have enough equipment for me to live with day to day, I do want FF Cup Pack though as I may use the car for a track day once or twice a year.

Question...
I understand the Cup Packed 197s have different dampers and springs but is that it? What I'm asking is if I find a nice 197 which fits the price could I simply buy 197 cup dampers and HR 30/40mm lowering springs and I would have a Cup Pack set up?

Is there anything different about the steering rack? or was that on the 200?

Hopefully not too much of a stupid question, can't seem to find the answer

I will spend anywhere between 6k-8k for the car.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup chassis consists of 7mm lower, with stiffer dampers/anti roll bars. The rest is cosmetic with red painted calipers and anthracite wheels.

Quicker steering rack was 200 only

Clio 197 R27 Albi
So am I right in saying 197 Cup Dampers, H&R Lowering Springs & Uprated ARBs would give me a good fast road set up like the Cup Chassis?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Possibly, I think the H&R's are a little crashy from what I've read......

dont discount the the standard set up, it's very good at B road bashing.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
FF on here usually refers to the standard car (i.e. not a cup) which has the cup chassis option ticked. So FF + Cup pack infers its got 3 cup packs (in the 182s where you could spec cup suspension and cup spoiler/splitter) or 2 (in the 197/200s where you could only spec cup chassis).

Pet peeve aside, I believe you can just swap over the dampers between cup and non cupped cars on the 197s. They changed the top mount to smaller units (for whatever reason) on the later 200s, so bare that in mind.

The best way to check for cup suspension is the anthracite alloys and red brembos. The Cup chassis was introduced in 07 with the R27, they came standard with the cup chassis and recaros (leaving you to find one specced with xenons, climate, spoilers etc).

In 08, the 197 cup was released, which you know about.

No 06 197s came standard with the cup chassis.

Desirable options are

cup chassis (red brembos and anthracite alloys)
recaros
climate control (look for a digital screen on the dash)
xenons with cornering lights (look for washer jets in the front bumper)
spoilers (cup or GT are standard renault, Ktec did one called the sprint/elia spoiler which is quite subtle)

other options are
RS splitter (snow plow looking chin splitter)
RS skirts (carbon effect side skirts)
Bluetooth/Parrot/Renault tunepoint

As said, the R27s come standard with the recaros and cup chassis, so thats the 'big two' options already checked off your list if you look at them. R27s were also available in Liquid Yellow. Standard 197s weren't available in LY.

Christopher on here said the H&Rs on his 200 haven't affected the ride quality over standard on his cup packed 200.

hope that helps

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You will find it hard to find a full fat 197 with recaros- not many made

also check gearbox, steering / rack and ensure that the cambelt is done

steve