ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio popping HT leads off under load

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all..

Bit of a weird one, but when the car has been running for a while, its obviously pretty hot in the engine bay, and when under load it keeps popping the number 3 HT lead off the coil pack and obviously causing it to run on 3 cylinders.

The leads are magnecor leads if it makes any difference!

Thanks!

Thats the problem with aftermarket HT leads they either work or they don't.. Are you pushing it right on till it clicks?

The sleeve inside the lead that goes over the coil pack bit maybe to wide, could crimp it very gently and very slightly with some pliers. Or contact magnecor and they may send a replacement??

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks martin, never actually thought of crimping or the likes.

I got them off a mate second hand when one of my leads buggered up. Not sure how old they are either so they probably just need replacing! Seems off its the same one every time though!

BG V6 IL V6 172cup
I had a standard one pop off and put back on, after that it had a high RPM missfire. Would be worth checking that the lead is ok!
You could here the missfire when coming down down from 6k.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a standard one pop off and put back on, after that it had a high RPM missfire. Would be worth checking that the lead is ok!
You could here the missfire when coming down down from 6k.

Thanks but the leads work fine, its just when it pops off the coilpack. Its easy enough to lift the bonnet and stick it back on but its just a bit odd. I guess its just a lose fit!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Cable tie it down :rasp:

Lol... serious question here, if i put a little silicone inside the connector on the lead do you think that would work? Obviously not the part that goes into the coilpack but just inside the rubber?

silcone will cause a missfire, unless you get it just on the rubber part. Even then it will be fun trying to remove it afterwards.

Crimping it slightly is the best option imo

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
silcone will cause a missfire, unless you get it just on the rubber part. Even then it will be fun trying to remove it afterwards.

Crimping it slightly is the best option imo

Ok ill give that a try first.

Probably best to just get new leads :s