ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Phase 1 Diesel Project.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Hi Guys

I bought the car a short while ago, opted for a diesel for reliability and fule consumption, plus the car pulls really strong and is a pleasure to drive even on long runs.

Paid strong money for it as it is very clean and straight so will only be doing a few little bits.

I have no massive plans but will post pics up as and when i do.

The car is a 1.9 diesel with 115k and never misses a beat, plus it is amazing on fuel consumption. I can not fault the car whatsoever.

When i got her.

cliofront.jpg

cliorear.jpg

I did a little research and liked the facelift rear lights so decided to swap them for a pair of brand new units. I liked this little modifciation as it was original equipment and the rewiring involved no chopping or reoldering. I think they really lift the phase 1 rear end.

REARLIGHTS1.gif

REARLIGHTS2.gif

Recently sourced a full Phase 1 Clio Sport body kit in excellent conditon and a Phase 2 Sport rear bumper. The body kit is a different shade of silver and the rear bumper green so will be painted, again quite liked this as it is all OEM equipment.

BUMPERS.gif

WINGS.gif

REARBUMPER.gif

I'm on the hunt for some nice and suitable wheels ideally 15'' or 16'', will update as and when i make any changes.

Any comments or advice welcome.

53 Clio's & counting
Very different going for a ph1 diesel and should look good once the kit is on mate!

make sure you get some wheel spacers, as the Renault sports have wider track than the normal models, so a set of spacers will push the wheels out

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
I have managed to source some really tidy OZ F1's with excellent tires and a full Phase1 Half Leather interior.

320d
Is it the 80bhp dti? Any plans for a remap or anything?

It will look great when its done. Ph1 172's look amazing.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ph1 172 kit ftw!! remember youll need lows and wides to pull it off properly! good luck!!

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
@ Brett, i am unsure on the exact engine spec, it is a 1.9 TDi, to be honest it is an excellent engine both on a long run and round town with enough power and torque.

In the long run i could have probably bought an actual 172, however i get a diesel allowance from work and the insurance is very very cheap.

Plus i like messing with the car and doing bits myself so buying the bits myself and doing the majority of work myself is ideal, parts are so readily available and very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the comments lads and any advice / ideas welcome

Petrol Blue 182.
Cup Spoiler too? transforms the rear of the car so much.
Lower slightly, just 40mm or so. And clear up that O/S/F headlamp!

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
If i can source a cup spoiler for a reasonable price and quite local then i will do as i do like them.

I have some OZ F1 Cup's and as i use the car it will be lowered 40mm as you say.

For some reason only the OSF headlamp has gone bad and the other looks fine, i have got a 3m headlight repair kit so will take an afternoon to go over them both as its a big let down on the car imo.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Hi guys.

What are thoughts on these wheels? I like them as they OEM which is quite what i am looking for. I have opted against the 172 kit now as i dont want to start drilling and rivetting the car.

wheels.gif

ph1 clio 1.2
i was watching both the bumper and the front end,,, is the rear a 182 converted to a 172 with the exhaust cut-outs covered? will look ace when the full kits on!..

53 Clio's & counting
Hi guys.

What are thoughts on these wheels? I like them as they OEM which is quite what i am looking for. I have opted against the 172 kit now as i dont want to start drilling and rivetting the car.

wheels.gif

You shouldn't have to adapt anthing to make the kit fit mate

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Thanks Russ

I arent putting the car as a 172 rep now, the car is really tidy and i dont wat to start drilling it for the skirts etc. However i will be doing a few bits so will update on here when i do.

Petrol Blue 182.
Thats a great shame. You've got everything there! whats a couple of self tappers aye!?

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
I know but am looking to upgrade to a 197/200 early next year.

i was quoted no less than £360 for the parts painting too which i cant really warrant just now as i thought it would have been much less.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Not much going on to the car. Have put a good few thousand mile on her without missing a beat but thought i would get a few bits.

Got some white LED side light bulbs but unsure on them, can anyone suggest a subtle 501 wedge for sidelights as the ones i have look a bit too bright and almost blue lol. Will be giving the headlights a refurb and will report on how they come up.

Also have another set of wheels sorted which ill post up soon.

clio1.gif

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Just bought some wheels for her which im collecting today. Will get these shot blasted and coated before fitting and have them rebalanced.

CLIOWHEELS.gif

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Tried the wheels on the car and got 4 new tires over the weekend, the current ones were still legal but budget and had seen better days so upgraded all 4 while there.
mon2.gif

The car drives really well on them, am unsure on whether to lower it 35mm or not. Will also be having the wheels powder coated and was going to go for a normal silver, maybe any suggestions on an alternative colour?
mon1.gif

Arctic 182FF
Decided to keep this now and do some bits to it.

If i was you then I'd do all your original plans, 172 kit, 172 ph2 rear bumper. Also go for a cup spoiler, coilovers, spacers, colour code the side strips + door handles and I'd get some Williams wheels as I'm not a big fan of the ones you just got. Then you'd have a car that looks epic!

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
I dont really want to fork out near £400 for the kit painting though and would sooner just get the car tidy and straight, plus i arent keen on drilling 10 holes down the sill for the skirts.

Got my wheels back from my local powder coaters, if anyone is in or around yorkshire these guys are great and only charge £1 an inch, these cost me £60 for shot blasting and coating and look like new.

WPC1.gif

WPC2.gif

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Right so the list of bits i want sorting as follows, will update as i go in case anyone has similar issues could potentially benefit from a heads up on the niggly problems listed.

RCL inop
Headlights clouded / require refurb
Rear fogs inop since fitting ph2 rears
Front splitter loose
1 heater dash grille missing
Front fogs inop
Squeak from aux belt / alernatior
Slight knock from front end
Minor water leak in boot
Fit engine cover
Airbad & Serv light on dash
Drivers windown inop
Repair small dent on drivers door.

Seems a huge list but are all just niggly bits i enjoy doing when i get spare time.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Since i bought the car the front fogs havent worked so took some time to try diagnose why.

For a start there was no bulbs in them and the fuse was blown, after replacing there was still nothing. I removed the wiring and the terminals and loom looked to have water ingress and corroded wiring and terminals. As the loom had seen better days a new one was made with new connections and secured in place.

FOGS.gif

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
A place called CAS coatings in bradford, absolute bargain and cant recomend them enough.

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
Its not too bad mate, my other half lives in rotherham and i do it most days in 40 min or so.