ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio not starting

what u put infront of me
This is going to sound strange, but here goes,

Clio will start fine all day long, but turn it off over night and come to it next day and dead, its ot he battery as its been tested, an its fine, you can bump start the car and it will be fine for the rest of the day, its just he morning start it, just wont start,

you can hear the petrol pump kick in and the rest of the dash lights all go out like they should etc.

its been in to the garage and its had the immobiliser tested and the the rest of the electrics and they came back all fine.

but every day first thing the car just wont start... any ideas?

ph1 titanium 172
if this is a 172/182, open the bonnet and look to the right hand side, you should see a ridged black cover, underneath this is a bank of relays for the fuel pump, starter etc. I had a nightmare with mine, water getting into the relays, and having to replace them. If you run out of ideas, try reseating the relays, or swapping them around etc. see if this sorts it.

clio sport 182
ive got problem with my clio 182, was fine yesterday, but just tryed to start it and it just keeps turning over, im now waiting for the AA to come round and take a look at it, will let u know how i get on !

what u put infront of me
thanks at least it have given me an idea of where to start looking..

the TDC sensor does that give the same symptoms as say a dead battery?

330i. E30 Touring.
I always thought a TDC sensor would turn the engine over, it just wouldn't fire up?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Indeed it does, and it would never just happen in the mornings if it were TDC. The car would randomly cut out when coming to a stop, or not start when you return to it after any period of time.

Sounds like relays maybe?

clio sport 182
ive just had the car looked at by the AA and have been told that it is the crankshaft sensor and wiring loom which needs replacing, apparently its a common fault, gotta take the car to renault 2moro, thats if i can get it started again !!!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
crankshaft sensor what that ?

does the TDC sensor look like a tube with a bulge in the middle, hard to describe but i dont think if fitted one on my engine :eek:

Nissan 350z
If the car only struggles starting after long periods of being unattended (overnight) its because the TDC sensor isnt correctly telling the engine the position of the crank so it fails to start up. This is a common fault and Renault have released a revised part with modified wiring loom to address it. Looking at £50 for the part.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Does the TDC sensor have 3 outputs onit??

Because i have what looks like a sensor in my room at home with 3outputs, it came with the engine but i couldnt see anywhere to connect it, this might solve why my engine wont fire up lol.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

Because i have what looks like a sensor in my room at home with 3outputs, it came with the engine but i couldnt see anywhere to connect it, this might solve why my engine wont fire up lol.

no just 2

330i. E30 Touring.

LOL!

The TDC sensor is located at the top of the gearbox, where the bell housing meets the engine block. Held on by two 10mm bolts. I'm not certain how many wires there are, but I think I've got a spare sensor in the garage..

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
hey dont laugh lol im new to this :)

sorry ye it has 2outputs i have it in front of me here, were do the 2 pipes feed into ?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
7eef_1.jpg

thats a pic of a revised one on ebay, original ones are black not blue

edit, here's another pic

!BUcM,g!B2k~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw1zHMKBKNjtUeDFg~~_12.jpg

clio sport 182
i got my back from renault but they said the usual, they couldnt find a fault with it, but the good thing is at least it is starting atm ! and they were very good they had it for 2 days did loads of checks and didnt charge me and i got the car back all cleaned and polished ! thanks renault !