ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 - running on 3 cylinders?!?!?!?!?

Clio 2, 1999
Hi All,
My clio 2 (1999 1.2 8v) was fine until Yesterday. The car is cutting out all the time, and there is a lot of shaking. I think it’s running on 3 cylinders?
The aa guy said it’s probability the ignition system, so I have changes both the ignition pack and the ht leads…still with the same problem.
Anyone get any ideas? Looks like I might have to go to Renault this week!

MK3 Sport Tourer TCE
I've had that happen twice, both times it was a faulty pencil coil. Was horrible driving it around like that, engine sounded like a boat.

The first was replaced by the AA for around £50, the second at a local garage for about £30.

Clio 2, 1999
Hi,
Thanks for the replys.

A local garage has check the problem out, and they say it's not electrical. I have also changed the plugs, ht's and the iginition coil pack over.

Any ideas what this could be mechanically?

thanks for the help!

Megane Team II F1 R26
Had this problem twice on the misses car, we put it down to the coil pack as you could disconnect one of the coil packs completely (1.4RN has two coil packs) and it ran the same (rough) so swapped the coil packs around expecting the problem to move with the coil pack and onto the other two pistons and it sorted itself out.... so swapped them back..... 30mins later stop at petrol station and had same problem!! left it for 10mins and it fired up. Only thing i have done since is new plugs and tied the HT Leads up as they where close to the mainifold, touch wood never had a problem since.

Clio 2, 1999
Hi all,

The garage has said that it's defo not an electrical problem. Perhaps a bent / snapped valve? What do you think?

If it is that, would it damage the engine to much? BTW, the garage says the car in only running on 2 clyenders.

Megane Team II F1 R26
that seems a bit of an excessive report, I only say this as in the month my misses has owned one we have had about 3 seperate issues lol one of them being when you start it would run on two cylinders only... I have read many times the TDC sensor being at fault, which maybe relevant.

When did it start doing it? one morning starting the car or whilst driving?

Clio 2, 1999
hi.
the problem started while i was sitting in traffic the other night. The aa had to tow me home!

The aa guys diagnostics computer wouldnt work on the car so we couldnt read any faults. This is doing my head in now!

172 Race Car
They fail for fun. Get a spare to keep in the boot and a spanner to change it yourself.

Ive never used a diagnostic computer to find fault with them