ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph2 poor running/misfire

Clio 172 ph2
Hi all,
I've lurked on this forum for a long while, but yet to post. Need a bit of help with an issue.
Noticed the car is grumbling and runs rough, investigated the issue a bit.
Taken to garage but no fault codes found (besides aircon), so they gave me it back without charge.

I've changed the spark plugs, these haven't been done since at least 2015 so probably overdue.
Noticed plug 4 (LHS) was sooted up. After changing this continues onto the new plug.

I'm guessing this might be an injector, but before I pull the trigger on this am I thinking along the right lines?
I ask because on looking on this board and others, these tend to throw warning lights and/or fault codes.

Beyond that all I can think of is HT leads, or god forbid compression. Have ruled out coil as the other cylinders are fine.

Thanks!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've seen injectors will often start failing long before you get a code. If you've not got a record of them being done in the last few years, it's the first thing I'd try. Just make sure you put genuine magneti marelli in, they're quite fussy apparently.

Clio 172 ph2
From what I've seen injectors will often start failing long before you get a code. If you've not got a record of them being done in the last few years, it's the first thing I'd try. Just make sure you put genuine magneti marelli in, they're quite fussy apparently.
Thanks. Will change the injector on the offending cylinder tomorrow, and probably the other three after

Clio 172 ph2
So changed the offending injector, which was measuring 7ohms.
Engine runs better, but still imperfect.
I randomly checked for blowback from the filler cap. A decent amount, so I'm guessing piston ring/s = terminal. Done 130k miles.