ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk2 Ph1

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Well the latest is that I need to return the car to the body shop to have the front bumper resprayed (free since it was recently done) as it has started to peel quite badly along the lower vent :dapprove: 2 weeks until I can get it booked in as the shop is booked up all this week and the owner is off on holiday next week... SIGH!

Ordered some sporty wheel trims to serve some time whilst I save some money to purchase Dynamique wheels. The tax is due for renewal at the end of this month so it will have to be paid before the wheels unfortunately but oh well :approve: The trims will keep me happy for the time being

Picture of the wheel trims -
%21BVo5K,wBmk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-DkEjlLly2R-BKTh,UIz,Q%7E%7E_12.jpg

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Ok this is how the car now looks today :cool: Took a few photos from different angles, let me know what you think!

Love this one ;)

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

Last one LOL

DSCN1477.jpg

Thanks a lot for looking! Oh and sorry if the images are quite big, used a good digital camera this time instead of my phone!

Let me know what you think

clio 1.6 si
sounds good as a start get rid of the rear lights dont do the car any good i dont like lexus lights on clios they cheapen the car but ove all good ideas

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Well as soon as i get the tax renewal paid clear side indicators will be ordered asap :approve: Im going to stick with the rear lights for now, friends seem to like them so im content with them! Id rather change the other small things first to be honest!

Im still on the hunt for dual optics :boring: Don't you think the plastic trim (Side strips etc) helps break up the paint? I like the way they look to be honest, I have seen some clios similar to mine with them colour coded, not sure if i would like it on my own car

The drivers side front headlight is actually brand new! My local garage sourced me it when it was going through MOT as the old one wasn't acceptable, I think another new one on the otherside would look nice but I really do love dual optics :S

Last edited:
for the bump strips to make them blacker, get some stuff off ebay called 'forever black', they dye the strips back to normal, if you can find my clio thread iv got some pics of the bump strips i did with it. :)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I actually really want a set of fogs ;) My nearest scrapyard didnt have any which was a pain, going to check again some time this week when i go to try and get a few other things!

I bought some Autoglym Bumper Care to restore the plastic trim last friday and WOW did it make a difference... like new appearance! I washed and polished the car on the same day and a few friends mentioned how well it looked :approve: Girls seem to love the gold paint :cool:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
fogs defs do transform the look of the front,

defs colour code the surrounds tho.

what kind of style are you going for??
imo,
get some rims,
lower it,
do some 'modification' (depending on the year of your clio it may or may not be necessary) and get the ph2 door strips,
and rear lights,
new side indicators.
dual optics,

DSC00118.gif

basically exactly along those lines! lol

in short, get as many ph2 bits that fit,
followed by as many ph1 sport bits as you can (providing a similar ph2 part is not available)
then colour code and textured plastic and lower (the more the better)
exhaust can be added as desired, but has to be subtle.
then if you want to top it off, get some ph2/1 172 bits.

^^ that would be my personal guide to modding a ph1! :D
follow them lines and you can potentially add value to the car,
and theres a reason behind it, looks niiiiiice.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
To be honest mate Im going after the exact same look as your ph1 :D Im not to sure about an exhaust system, Im not really into the whole LOUD noise. A sweet but subtle sound is what i really like.

After I am finished with the exterior mods Im going for an induction kit from k-tec :D

Last edited:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
To be honest mate Im going after the exact same look as your ph1 :D Im not to sure about an exhaust system, Im not really into the whole LOUD noise. A sweet but subtle sound is what i really like.

After I am finished with the exterior mods Im going for an induction kit from k-tec :D

that ph1 ent mine,

p190809130101.jpg

thats mine, basically what ive described only different rims. i like the look, and mine started out life exactly the same as yours dude, even had lexus lights, but i had a tow bar :cool:

just noticed, get a dynamic or cup spoilter too, not really a fan of the mud flap either sorry, would look better without renaul on them

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
A tow bar LOL! :rasp: I wouldnt mind a shorter aerial becuase I think the standard 1 is just gigantic! but then thats maybe just me, others dont notice nor make any comments! I like your euro look, its awesomeness :approve:

Im after a sporty look if you would call it that, Jakm15's red ph1 is the exact look I am after!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
cheers dude,

lots of people get the aerials of civics,
or saxos, lots of aerials from different cars fit tbh so have a look around.

Jakm15's ph1 is reping the OEM+ look, does look very nice imo,
after having a chaved up clio, i just love how well all the OEM+ parts fit lol

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
My clio came pretty much how ures is when a baught it :p and ive been moddin it over a year. and have done most things alot of folk have mentiond there and i think it looks ace:) nearly done smoothing another set of bumpers aswell :) ures will be looking ace when uve doen what you want to it ;) maybe go with black / gold theme? im keeping mine to a black/red theme seems to look ok :)

04082008030.jpg

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Great looking ph1 Stu ;) A black/gold theme sounds nice but i think black rims would be a bit too much lol :p

Things to do:

1. Pay tax renewal :(
2. Clear Side Repeaters
3. Fog lamps
4. Ph2 Side strips

Money has become a problem now since im backing to school doing my A levels so its going to be a busy year for me!

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Thought I would update my thread since it has been quite a while since my last :dapprove:

Just had my front bumper resprayed along the inner vents because of some peeling so ill post a few photos of it up soon!

Just found a guy selling some 40mm lowering springs for a good price so hopefully I'll be able to pick them up :approve:

This weekend im going to try and get some ph2 side strips but I honestly have no idea if they will fit my ph1! I know you can tell by the reg but im from northern ireland so mine will be different from english ones! Is there any other way I can know if they will fit?

Going to check for some fog lamps as well, hopefully they will have some :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hey mate, plans for the car have sounded really good throughout the thread, you've just gotta get cracking.

I've got a ph1 myself and have recently done a bit of a write up for the car so far, I've still got a lot of plans but all in good time - feel free to have a look for some ideas.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=457005

As for short aerial you've been looking for, they do one in halfords that is perfect and is about £6. The ones most people use on here are for the mk2 ph2 - this has a different sized thread to the ph1 so more aerials fit. The halfords one is great.

From your reg I have no idea about the side strips but do you know what year your car was made? somewhere between 1998 and 2001 I think it should be. The later ones aparently fit straight away with the earlier ones needing modification.

I know no more details about this though I'm afraid mate, I need to find out the same myself.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Update - 11th Oct

Just picked up some dynamique alloy wheels for £40 which is such a steal! All in good condition except a bit of a buckle and a tyre needing replaced on 1! so this one will be getting a refurb! Really pleased though :approve:

I dont plan to put them on straight away, my current tyres on the car are soon needed changed so basically I'm going to use them up first.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Update - 18th Oct

Purchased some 30mm lowering springs from a friend for £25, would have prefered some 40mm ones but im not complaining for the price :) The plan is to fit these whenever I get the alloys sorted with a refurb, getting pretty excited now :D

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Update - 21st Oct

Picking up dual optics this weekend.. finally all the bits and pieces are coming together! Pictures coming as soon as I get everything fitted :)
Upgraded to a full member on the website too :D

Thoughts on where to put my cliosport sticker... Back window or back right passenger window? :rolleyes:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Decided to put the sticker on my rear passenger window, looks ace :) Pictures are coming soon

Toying with the idea of getting an exhaust, this has appeared for sale near to me.. Sorry for the massive pictures, Opera dislikes the message editor :(

281241183.jpg

If it could look as nice as the rear exhaust on Tommy_g's cleaned/euro mk2 ph1 I think it would look pretty awesome..

DSC00239.jpg

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
looks nice, i prefer them hanging below the bumper though tbh

glad the clios going well dude,

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
2 of my dynamique wheels are in getting refurbed at the moment, expecting them this friday.. woohoo :)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I had an ashley on my old 1.2, get the straight through middle pipe as well, LOUD.

What did you think of it then? Its for sale at £60 which is pretty awesome, I could maybe even get it for a bit less with some bargaining skills :approve:

your speedo is in the middle!!! ahhh. how strange.

Seems normal to me lol what side is yours on? :rolleyes:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
many ph1s have the rev counter on the right, and speedo on the left, temp and petrol n all the lights in the middle.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
many ph1s have the rev counter on the right, and speedo on the left, temp and petrol n all the lights in the middle.

I noticed that myself, would that be because mine is a later or earlier model? My parents mk3 clio has the rev counter on the left so it seems the norm to me :eek: I guess my ph1 is not confused like the others :cool:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Mines the same as yours mate, but I prefer the one with all the lights in the middle. Another mod to be done... lol!

Thought it was something on very basic spec early mk2 ph1's

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I have Grande RN spec which I thought was near the top of the range in its year, to be honest the dash wouldn't bother me! Blue lights instead of the boring orange would be tight though! :approve:

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Dont like the lights.

I do plan to change them to ph2 clusters at some point but after I get a few other additions made first mate, I know the lexus ones aren't popular :( My brother owns a ph2 model so I might ask him would be willing to trade or... just just swap them around without his permission, he probably wouldnt even notice :rolleyes: