ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT, Opinions/Faults

As above really, parentals are looking at one and going on the prices by us it will be the petrol version.

Are there any common problems or anything to look out for specifically?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
go diesel, seriously!

they are so far pretty solid, no common faults that i can really think of maby other than high level brake lights failing, and binding rear brakes sometimes. other than that no issues (on the diesel anyay)

cruise control was standard, look out for bluetooth handsfree with usb conectivity (you will be able to tell this with the big knob in the middle of the stereo rather than the circle button), tom tom nav was an option, as was climate control and keyless entry (with start stop button - this will also have reach adjustable steering)

The only reason diesel has been discarded is the price, 2K extra over a petrol.

Thanks for the rest of that, is something for them to look out for, think there aiming to look at one in Edinburgh, which I noticed doesn't have the tom-tom option, no major lose IMO.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I like them. Bit slow though and economy is the same as a 197. Diesel is a good option, honestly. if they do any significant mileage the extra purchase cost might be ofset in fuel savings over the year, not becuase the diesel is amazing on fuel but because the petrol is so bad

are you talking GT or GT line ?

go diesel, if they are going to keep it for a while they will save in the long run, not may faults, just what martin has listed really, my high level brake light failed but most of them may still be under warranty so they should be okay, bolster wear i found is quite common so check for that, warranty also will sort that, difficult to find with alot of optional extras many are low spec, also the laquer on the wheels tends to bubble if they havent been looked after that well,

but overall the engine is really smooth and quite and great on fuel as it comes with the 6 speed box, and imo they are the best looking out of the non sports

As far as i know it's a GT, but what's the difference between a GT and the GT line.

Shall pass on the message, as for optional extras I don't think they would be overly fussed, keyless entry would be pretty cool though.

they dont make the GT any more they moved onto the GT line which isnt as low or stiff doesnt come with the body kit and trim ie chrome pipes on the back and sport interior, imo the GT is the better option as it doenst just look like a dynamique its much more sportier looking.

GT line
20578.jpg

189411h.jpg

GT
7102621241_20a886e97e.jpg

CIMG1722 by glenndobledesigns, on Flickr
6956563948_af2208891b.jpg

CIMG1728 by glenndobledesigns, on Flickr

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Petrol GT's are utter pony. I apologise to anyone thats got one on here, but they are.

The gearbox is dreadful, they have no useful torque, they're s**t on fuel.... I can see no reason to buy one.

Get a derv. End.

Clio GT
Petrol GT's are utter pony. I apologise to anyone thats got one on here, but they are.

The gearbox is dreadful, they have no useful torque, they're s**t on fuel.... I can see no reason to buy one.

Get a derv. End.

Im not really a car person, but to me gearbox is fine, but everything else you said i agree with...

Anyways, ive had no problems with mine, apart from drinking petrol!

P.s want to buy mine Beef? lol

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

Get a derv. End.

Man knows. I thought the driving position was cr*p aswell.

They look decent, especially in the blue.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Twingo 133 is a better option if they want a 1.6 petrol. Same engine, lighter, Lots more fun

172 Ph1

End.

I don't need to say anymore Daniel said it for me.
My GF had one , petrol one looked the part really nice motor just rev'd with no power , even she was disappointed.
Only had it for 8 months.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Downside of the Twingo is the lack of boot space, can't get a weeks shopping in there.

seats move about you can put them right forward real easy and i bet its as big as the clio boot.
GT is nice you can get 2 petrol engines 16, or 2.0?
but derv all the way

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
GT in this country only came with the 1.6 petrol engine it was the rest of europe that got the choice of that or the 2.0 138hp engine.

i always thought the petrol GT had the same 6 speed box as the diesel GT? which is a 200 box? i found it brilliant, in both my GT and 200, although the GT had more diesel suited ratios doing 100mph @ 2800rpm or something crazy!

i would say the petrol GT is no quicker than the diesel petrol may just edge it but the diesel feels night and day quicker than it to drive due to the torque, not a benefit if you care about winning traffic light GP but a benefit if you like to cruise about using the torque, i never ever had mine past 3000rpm, the turbo comes on full boost at 1900rpm and you get a massive lump of torque, change at 3000rpm and your back in the torque band! makes for effortless progress

Yeah the diesel is very effort less, when I've took it over the moor roads you can just leave it in 5th and have a lot of fun where as my mates who drive petrols seem to be changing a lot to chase the power an use a lot more fuel when they do the same run

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the diesel is very effort less, when I've took it over the moor roads you can just leave it in 5th and have a lot of fun where as my mates who drive petrols seem to be changing a lot to chase the power an use a lot more fuel when they do the same run

Your mates will be having more fun though ;)