ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT any good?

ST170
Hello all, new to the forum here.
Im looking at getting a Clio GT for my other half as its a great looking car but cheaper to run and insure etc compared to a RS.
Anyone on here got one and are they any good? Hows the reliability etc, anything specific to look out for?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
needs to be a diesel. they are awesome i had one for a year.

1.6 16v petrol is gutless and no cheaper to run than the RS
1.5 DCi has bags of torque, its bullet proof, does 55mpg daily.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I drove a petrol one and hated it. Diesel is probably better engine but it will still be a horrible car to drive.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my old one...

10112010051.jpg

10112010053.jpg

10112010054.jpg

10112010060.jpg

ST170
Hmm, its a blue petrol 1.6 were going to see, '10 plate.
Might look into a 182 for her, but were wanting to get as new as possible, budget up to around 7 grand.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if the performance and fuel consumption doesnt bother you then they are still an extremely nice car in petrol if its got a few options on it. they are well built, nice place to be, cruise control as standard, but they arnt worth it over a 197/200 for running costs, unles as i said above its a diesel.

ive yet to drive another car that give the same compromise of an excelent fun chassis with bags of grip yet so much comfort!

ST170
But not on a '10 plate still with warranty, insurance could be an issue but will look into them.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Doesnt these have the same engine as the RS Twingo 133s? That engine struggles to pull the Twingo along, really gonna struggle carrying the extra lard of the Clio about?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So it's lacking a little power...why does that make it horrible to drive?

I had some fantastic drives in my 107bhp Ignis, how fast you get propelled down the road is irrelevant to driving enjoyment in my opinion, unless your sole focus is headline bhp figures.

On that basis my 200 is horrible to drive compared to any of the 250bhp plus boosted FWD hatches available.

Then they must be horrible to drive when you can get a near 400 bhp Focus RS.

And that must be terrible to drive also, especially when you can get Mercs or Ferraris with 600 bhp.

Last edited:
  M135i
Its a good car to drive, petrol engine is abit gutless low down but other than that there a nice drive good interior as standard

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So it's lacking a little power...why does that make it horrible to drive?

I had some fantastic drives in my 107bhp Ignis, how fast you get propelled down the road is irrelevant to driving enjoyment in my opinion, unless your sole focus is headline bhp figures.

On that basis my 200 is horrible to drive compared to any of the 250bhp plus boosted FWD hatches available.

Then they must be horrible to drive when you can get a near 400 bhp Focus RS.

And that must be terrible to drive also, especially when you can get Mercs or Ferraris with 600 bhp.

I didnt say it was horrible to drive at all?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
105 vs 118 bhp is hardly leagues apart though. If I had a passenger that would even it up and I'd still have loved driving it.

Apologies Noddie...wasn't aimed at you specifically!

RB 182
My driving teacher had the 1.6 diesel, although i only had comparison to my 1.2 sx i very much enjoyed it

Not a 320d
Here we go. Everyone here is qualified to comment on the petrol GT apparently.

Be aware, it does lack torque in the way it gets delivered, but the whole point of the thing is to ring its nut

I thoroughly enjoy driving mine about but then it is on coilovers.

Apparently its also as expensive to run as a Clio Sport. :sleepy:

Beware of the s**t gearbox.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Apart from the wheels I think they look really good.

Nothing a cheap set of 197 speedlines wouldnt sort ;)

As above, the diesel is probably the better option.

You'd struggle seeing as the RS are 5 stud ;)

Not a 320d
f**k it. heres how it is:

For someone looking for a "drivers" car;

s**t steering rack
s**t brakes
s**t suspension (Unless on coilovers)
s**t gearbox (Same TL4 as the sport)
s**t driving position (Same interior as a sport anyway)
s**t tyres (Unless changed)
Engine is OK but it needs to be worked to its peak power at 6800rpm. Has some nasty flat spots.
Basically utter s**t.

For someone not looking for a "drivers" car;

A nice all round car which as standard is fairly well equipped (Cruise control, wipers and lights auto etc.....)
Ideal for someone that (Like me) cant or doesnt want to insure a Sport - The difference for me was pretty big and I wasnt willing to skint myself through my uni years.
Still a bit of fun
Even more fun on coilovers
Been fairly cheap to run for me, 370 miles to a tank without touching the motorway, although itll average 27mpg in the winter and a heavy foot. Terrible you say? Yes, so what would a Clio 200 have done to me?

If youre after a drivers car look elsewhere. If youre after a cheap run about, look at the diesel. If you dont want to insure a sport consider the 1.6 but take it for what it is.

Like I said though, mine been on coilovers for 2 years now and with 25mm spacers all round and a camber setup its a good laugh. No where near as bad as the people on here make it out to be.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
s**t steering rack
s**t brakes
s**t suspension (Unless on coilovers)
s**t gearbox (Same TL4 as the sport)
s**t driving position (Same interior as a sport anyway)
s**t tyres (Unless changed)
Engine is OK but it needs to be worked to its peak power at 6800rpm. Has some nasty flat spots.
Basically utter s**t.

nothing wrong with the steering it feels like a very slightly lighter version of the 200
brakes are more than up to the job
suspension/chassis is its party piece, coilovers would just ruin it
gearbox is fine unless you dont know how to use a clutch you may have issues
driving possition again unles your used to an elise is fine
tyres offer grip while easily doing 25k hard miles
engine depends what your looking for, i wouldnt touch a petrol one.

Not a 320d
nothing wrong with the steering it feels like a very slightly lighter version of the 200
brakes are more than up to the job
suspension/chassis is its party piece, coilovers would just ruin it
gearbox is fine unless you dont know how to use a clutch you may have issues
driving possition again unles your used to an elise is fine
tyres offer grip while easily doing 25k hard miles
engine depends what your looking for, i wouldnt touch a petrol one.

I think im perfectly within my own right to form an opinion on my own car? Besides I said as a drivers car those were the points.........

Not a 320d
Jesus was that fully specced? I got mine for £11k.

PS. I destroyed my pilot Primacy things within about 10000 miles. Ive had Hankook V12's on since and ive got another fair bit to go get.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yes fully specced dci, 20k of hard hard miles and the fronts were just becoming illegal, rears were a fair bit worn and needed front brakes, so i traded it for the 200 rather than replace lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
haha na its mint, always warmed up before hammered and always left running for a few minutes when it had been driven hard, plus apart from the front end being full of stone chips, or should i say stone holes the rest of the car is imaculate!

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
For a car thats not a fully badged Renaultsport, I was really impressed with its ability! Especially with that nugget martin_172 at the helm. Had an epic amount of grip!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
For a car thats not a fully badged Renaultsport, I was really impressed with its ability! Especially with that nugget martin_172 at the helm. Had an epic amount of grip!

a good few fun times in that car punching above its weight! not quite as good as the dci100 vs 172 cup incident!

ST170
We both had a test drive in it today and liked it, as mentioned it wont set the world alight in a straight line, but thats not what the cars about.

172 Ph1
The girlfriend has one on a 10 plate in black looks nice, i like it , she thinks it crap. The gearbox ratios are so close 6th gear is a waste only drops by 200 revs, i guess its an economy box. Yes you got to rev it to go, occasional flat spot as mentioned but on a flip side she says its comfy seats are good and feels tight on the road. 29mpg round town she's happy lol. (woman eh)

Clio GT
Ive got a petrol GT, will have had it 2 years in March, had its first service yesterday,

In the 17000 miles, ive had to change the front tyres, got told yesterday my front brake pads are 90% worn... but more than likely my driving style :p and my passenger window is playing up since tuesday, but getting repaired through warrenty.

Used to be able to get 370 miles out of tank, but lately been struggling to get 300...

Not the quickest, good enough for over taking, motorway cruising. Comphy, good heater! Cheapish insurance!

Wanna buy mine?? Open to offers lol