ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio front disc torx bolts.

After looking on here to see how I can remove the torx bolts I came across this thread -
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/drilling-out-front-disc-torx-bolts.433140/

What I want to know is if anyone has any recommendations as to where I can get a decent set of drill bits to drill mine out? Started earlier today & all it's doing it wearing away the drill bits I was using. It did some damage to the torx bolt I was working on just not enough. Any advice is greatly apprecieted.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You must be using terrible drill bits then, or too high speed? Are you replacing the discs? If so then angle grinder to take the head off them, the disc will come off then.

Best bet would have been to use an impact driver to start with, they would have come out then without any bother.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Get a dremel and cut a line across the screw head. Then get a blowtorch on the bolt and use wd40 on it. Repeat this several times quickly and then use a flat head bit to remove the screw.

When refitting the screws they only need to stop the disc moving. They don't need to be tightened up too much.

You must be using terrible drill bits then, or too high speed? Are you replacing the discs? If so then angle grinder to take the head off them, the disc will come off then.

Best bet would have been to use an impact driver to start with, they would have come out then without any bother.

Yeah they seem like cheap ones. Only borrowed it so have no idea what kind they are. Yes I'm replacing the pads/discs. I've no access to an angle grinder, just a drill atm.

Get a dremel and cut a line across the screw head. Then get a blowtorch on the bolt and use wd40 on it. Repeat this several times quickly and then use a flat head bit to remove the screw.

When refitting the screws they only need to stop the disc moving. They don't need to be tightened up too much.

I've not got access to a blow torch or dremel. I'd already tried to spray wd40 & tried hitting it out with a flathead with no such luck. Never had so much hassle trying to do discs before now haha.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
I've not got access to a blow torch or dremel..

Invest in tools. £40 dremel and £20 blow torch will cost nothing compared to an hour of labour these days. Plus the mechanic will probably over tighten the new screws and you're stuck with the same problem.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just go to your nearest screfix/trade point and buy a decent drill bit. Be off in seconds

Invest in tools. £40 dremel and £20 blow torch will cost nothing compared to an hour of labour these days. Plus the mechanic will probably over tighten the new screws and you're stuck with the same problem.

Need to check what the funds are like first. Always something that should be straightforward that ends up a pain

Just go to your nearest screfix/trade point and buy a decent drill bit. Be off in seconds

I have other drill bits but think they aren't big enough, only goes upto 6.5mm.

This is as far as it's gotten -
DSC_0112_zpsrgihicis.jpg

dan's cast offs.
mountain out of a mole hill, just use a punch/chisel. or if you insist on drilling then get an 8mm left handed drill bit and go at it, will pick up and spin it out.

mountain out of a mole hill, just use a punch/chisel. or if you insist on drilling then get an 8mm left handed drill bit and go at it, will pick up and spin it out.

I'll look at punch sets for it. I'll need to drill out that one anyway. Was looking at impact drivers for the remaining bolts, don't know if they do the torx pieces for them though, all seem to be screw heads I've seen.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
That has happened to me loads of times.
Get your self to argos and get yourself a cheap (probably s**t but will do the job) angle grinder for £15
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2378204.htm
then just cut the bolt head out, will be like a hot knife in butter. so so easy. oh remember some safety googles or atleast sunglasses or closing your eyes.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Oh and remember to use a little bit of copper grease and new torx bolts. screwfix sell the bolts but only in a pack of 50 for a fiver.

Right I'm away to get a 10mm drill bit & I'll try my luck with a impact driver. Is it a pin punch set or a centre punch set I might need?

That has happened to me loads of times.
Get your self to argos and get yourself a cheap (probably s**t but will do the job) angle grinder for £15
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2378204.htm
then just cut the bolt head out, will be like a hot knife in butter. so so easy. oh remember some safety googles or atleast sunglasses or closing your eyes.
Any idea where I would get the right disc for doing this mate? Impact driver isn't doing anything & the drill bit isn't doing much damage .

DSC_0124_zpsmqdetpya.jpg

DSC_0125_zpsawawl7rn.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Any idea where I would get the right disc for doing this mate? Impact driver isn't doing anything & the drill bit isn't doing much damage .

Just use the one it comes with - should be fine.
Cut the head and disc like this , keep going deeper , keep checking every now and again to see if you have reached the bottom of the disc as you dont want to cut too much into the hub behind although its not the end of the world if you do strike through the hub.
It will be really easy with an angle grinder.
Or8EEMm.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
looking at the pic it looks like you are almost there though with the drilling. How many drill bits have you been through?

Just use the one it comes with - should be fine.
Cut the head and disc like this , keep going deeper , keep checking every now and again to see if you have reached the bottom of the disc as you dont want to cut too much into the hub behind although its not the end of the world if you do strike through the hub.
It will be really easy with an angle grinder.
Or8EEMm.jpg

Got the angle grinder & it came with a thick grinding disc, bought a pack of thin cutting discs as well. Will tackle this tomorrow & hopefully this will be it sorted now. After I've made the X with the angle grinder should I use a chisel/punch/flathead & hammer it anti clockwise yeah? Some carry on just for a couple of bolts. Any other time it's been a simple change over & none of this.

looking at the pic it looks like you are almost there though with the drilling. How many drill bits have you been through?

I've used a few different sized drill bits. Looks like they've got a bit of wear on them now right enough.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Use the thick disc it came with .
No need for chisels and that sort of stuff. just keep grinding till the head of the bolt has separated from the thread. The disc will then come away with the help of a tap of a hammer from behind.
You will then be left with the hub and the thread sticking through from that bolt. You can then leave it where it is as it is only used for locating he disc. Or if you have mole grips use them to try to get the remaining part of the bolt out, use the grinder to grind a flat edge on the bolt to make gripping it easier.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
v1q0pEL.jpg

That might be a better way of cutting, you basically want to keep digging at the red circle which is lowest part of the bolt head.

Use the thick disc it came with .
No need for chisels and that sort of stuff. just keep grinding till the head of the bolt has separated from the thread. The disc will then come away with the help of a tap of a hammer from behind.
You will then be left with the hub and the thread sticking through from that bolt. You can then leave it where it is as it is only used for locating he disc. Or if you have mole grips use them to try to get the remaining part of the bolt out, use the grinder to grind a flat edge on the bolt to make gripping it easier.

Wasn't too sure if that was the right disc so thought I'd buy a set of cutting discs as well. Yeah I've got a set of moleys that I'll use to try & remove the thread from the bolt.

v1q0pEL.jpg

That might be a better way of cutting, you basically want to keep digging at the red circle which is lowest part of the bolt head.

Will do cheers mate.

As above, get a sharp hss 10mm bit and trill a little more and job done.

That's what I was using today, initially was working but didn't seem to be that effective after a few minutes.

172 sport
You need to keep spraying around the area with wd40 or oil to keep the bit cool or it will be shagged in no time.

This is as far as I'm getting with the angle grinder, been at it for about 15mins. Any ideas toow long I've got to go? I've still another 3 torx heads to do after this

DSC_0133_zpsivxyvwyy.jpg

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
These wee bolts usually shear quite easy. I'd be smacking that disc with a hammer behind it. Reckon the bolt will shear then.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
God you're making a career out of this lol!

That screw head has gone, hit it from behind with a hammer

Why have you got three more to do? There's one on the other side, but the rears aren't the same. Undo the hubnut and the rear discs come straight off. Don't lose the spacer from behind the rear discs

These wee bolts usually shear quite easy. I'd be smacking that disc with a hammer behind it. Reckon the bolt will shear then.

I've went to do that but now the bolts holding on the disc carrier won't budge. Always something with this car.

God you're making a career out of this lol!

That screw head has gone, hit it from behind with a hammer

Why have you got three more to do? There's one on the other side, but the rears aren't the same. Undo the hubnut and the rear discs come straight off. Don't lose the spacer from behind the rear discs

I was meaning I'd need to grind away the other 3 torx, 1 on this disc & 2 on the other.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Forgive me mate but sorry are you sure that your competent enough to be replacing brakes?

Forgive me mate but sorry are you sure that your competent enough to be replacing brakes?
I've said previously I've done many pads & discs before & never have I had any this hassle to remove a couple of bolts holding on a disc. I'm doing everything that's been suggested & it's still not for happening. Having to grind off the second torx bolt on the same disc smashing away with the hammer isn't shattering the other bolt.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
There's only one torx screw holding on each disc isn't there? Its been a long time since I've done any mind but I'm sure I only removed one.

As for the carrier bolts, you're gonna need heat. Heat solves evvvverrrry stuck nut and bolt :)

Clio 2.0 16v 182
For all the time taken on this simple task, myself or anyone on this thread could have made it to your car and had it off in time for the kettle to boil.

For future reference these are the methods you should be trying in order:
1. Wd40, heat and impact gun (borrow if you have to)
2. Cut a line across the screw head and repeat method no.1 with a wide flat head screw driver.
3. Drill and use easy out
4. Drill entire screw out (may lose hub threads.
5. Heat the whole disc up and hammer it off (caveman strategy)

And when refitting new disc always use both screw fixtures on the disc, use copper grease, don't tighten up, just make sure the disc doesn't move by hand.

Don't mean to come across as patronising but this is painful to hear when so much sound advice has been given

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You just need ot go a little deeper, cut this:
c6RzvHz.jpg

keep going, no need to spread the cuts as much.
Once you have done 1 you will be able to do the others really quickly.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
ZgJzP7N.jpg

thin red outline is the bolt, you can see you have made it about half way, just push quite hard and cut between the green lines. you are almost there.