ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio erratic idling and cuts out! Any ideas?

R60 CUP
Hi I have had this problem for a while now and I can't seem to get it sorted! I'm no mechanic so any help would be greatly appreciated, here goes.....

when I first drive my 172 cup from cold it runs fine, it gets up to temperature fine and all the power is there and the car is perfect to drive, but if I have to stop anywhere I.e. a petrol station, then switch the car back on all hell breaks loose! The car will usually start up but it idles very erratically it idles below 1000 rpm and it seems to struggle with that, it will then raise the revs to about 2k and then drop back to below 1k I have to really rev the car to stop it from cutting out to get it to go and if I do drive it normally, for example I will put my foot down on the peddle and the whole car will hesitate and violently judder and throws me forwards then the power comes on and it will do it then after words as it claims the rev range but not as violently, I took it into my mates garage and plugged it into the machine and it came up with problems on the inlet manifold sensors, so I replaced the grey temperature sensor on the right hand side of the inlet plenum and its still the same, I have already replaced the black MAP sensor on the left hand side of the inlet plenum, so I don't know what to do does anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks
James

Clio 182
James,

Im having the exact same problems with my 182. I've tried a few things but had no luck as of yet.

Replaced the MAP Sensor,
New Pre Cat Lamba,
Cleaned the Throttle body,

Going to have a look today for some air leaks will let you know how i get on, any luck sorting yours out please let me know!

Also take a look at this one, the guy who had the car before me posted. he sorted the original problem by changing the Lamba...but now its back!!
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?652419-Bah-Still-cutting-out

R60 CUP
I tried the tdc sensor today took it off and cleaned it but no luck! Whatever it is the fault is defiantly getting worse! Let me know if u have any luck

172 Cup
Mine used to idle funny until the cambelt was changed. Fred said the timing was out.
Not sure if this world affect idle though?

R60 CUP
Can they just knock them selves out of time tho? It does start with a squeak most days can that be a sign?