ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Race Car

Clio Cup Racer
Took the broken engine mount off the car today now its warmed up a bit.

Will phone R Sport on Monday to see if I can get another one.

Swithering whether to drop the whole engine/subframe assemby and check it / clean it / get some bits powder coated.

scaled.php

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Took the broken engine mount off the car today now its warmed up a bit.

Will phone R Sport on Monday to see if I can get another one.

Swithering whether to drop the whole engine/subframe assemby and check it / clean it / get some bits powder coated.

scaled.php

Did you manage to get a replacement mount in the end? On mine it doesnt have studs it just uses bolts. Must have been changed at some point, maybe for reason above.

Clio Cup Racer
Replacement from Rsport was going to be £100 in total. £30 for bearing. £70 for metal part. What a joke.

So I extracted the stud and replaced it. You could use a bolt as well mikekean, would work fine, I just decided to replace the stud.

Getting there with all the wiring changes.

I had to take the anti roll bar off when fitting the engine mount. Going to get some powerflex bushes to replace the rubber ones, then fit it again.

rralson - this one is at the back. Behind the gearbox. Dont tell me they are all like this.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Ok cheers, was thinking about getting some of the bushes as spares for when the original's perish and £90 for all 3 isnt to bad.

Yeah mine already has bolts like I said and its fine, probably because of what happened to yours maybe.

All 3 mounts are exactly the same so if this is a common issue then it could happen to all 3 in theory

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Personally i would replace all the studs with high tensile bolts. A 12.9 or a 10.9 bolt would take some serious abuse before it snapped.

Mine has 10.9's and its been ok in my ownership, fingers crossed it will stay that way. 12.9 would be to brittle i think.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The problem with the studs is that a weak point is created where the threads are finished where the shank is. From experience 12.9's tend to rip the threads clean out of the material they thread into! Lol! Are they M8 or M10 out of interest?
Unbrako is one of the best brands out there for h/t bolts.

Clio Cup Racer
The problem is though the metal braket in the picture about only has about 15mm of thread. Take it the bolts are pretty small??

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
There fairly short but not stupidly. The amount of thread in the mount is sufficient I think, it must just be a fastener Issue

Clio Cup Racer
Can anyone help with this?

Where the subframe mounts to the chassis - at one side it has a rubber spacer - at the other it doesnt. Seems to make the sub frame wonky. Noticed it when fitting new ARB bushes - the bracket at one side fitted between the subframe and underneath of the car - the other side was hitting the underneath of the car.

Should it have a spacer at both sides? No spacer at either side? Or is it right having one at the one side, doesn't seem right to me.

Driver side (no spacer):

IMG_0083.jpg

Passenger side (with spacer):

IMG_0084.jpg

Arb Bushes:

IMG_0082.gif

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Can say i have noticed that on mine, if I get chance today I will pop up to the store and see if mine is the same.

Mk1s are the same with the rubber bush/spacer, never really looked at why it is. Mine was all falling to bits so i got rid of it and machined up a steel spacer that sits in the hole to the same height instead

1_IMG_9404.jpg

Clio Cup Racer
Need to do a update on this as a lot of work has gone on since Jan. Back then it was too cold to go out to the garage but its warmed up a lot.

A new engine mount was going to be about £130 so I extracted the stud and replaced it. Its fitted back on car.

Had to take the ARB off to fit the above engine mount so got Powerflex bushes for refitting it.

Did a lot of work to the internal car loom (Renaultsport) stripping out a lot of wires, tidying it up and using new fabric heatshrink as the standard stuff was horrible plastic stuff. Presented all the joins to the Omex loom together (4) and put connectors on these so they can be disconnected easy. (Were hard wired before).

The car runs totally off the control box again now. I did have a couple of seperate switches to run the Omex etc... but decided to go back to the control box.

Tidied up the Omex loom and checked all the connections. After I did this and fitted it back to the car the TPS connection was found to be bad and throttle was at 100%. Whoever made up the original loom butchered the sensor and soldered the wires to it. I got a original connector and fitted this to the loom instead. Fitted another TPS sensor and now this can be disconnected rather than having to remove the TPS sensor if I need to remove/move the loom.

Cabling still needs tidied in the car. Cable tied etc...

Had major problems when the car was back together again that it wouldn't start. Was trying everything but tracked down to Omex not getting sync with the flywheel. You can monitor by the software and see it changes to Stat Sync On when it has sync. Went and purchased a new 'blue' revision 4 Renault CPS sensor but this didnt help so had to approach Omex. Ecu went to Omex for testing and to be fair they were pretty helpful - they are busy people but managed to bench test the ecu and try it in a customers car. Result - they basically said there is a known problem with the Renault sensor and they recommend using a Ford Zetec sensor. They said the customer's car they tried it on worked for 4000 miles on a Renault sensor but stopped working when they went to try my ecu on it but changing it over to a Zetec sensor worked fine and ran with my ecu.

I was doubtful but purchased a Zetec sensor and Omex sent the ecu back up FOC.

cranksensorzetec.jpg

Used one of my many renault CPS sensors to make a bracket for the Zetec sensor by chopping off the sensor part and attaching a L shape bracket to mount the Zetec sensor onto. Tried it in car but car wouldn't start. Tried swapping the CPS wires round and boom she started.

Plan is to take the car out on the RS trackday on the 23rd so ive got work to do tidying up all the cabling and sorting out loose ends to get it ready.

Will get some pics.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Sounds like you've had some issues but are getting the better of them now.

I'll be there on the 23rd so hopefully catch up with you then.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Glad you have got it running, so simple how one silly renault sensor can stop the fun.

So what other plans have you got for the car?

Clio Cup Racer
Got the car out on the 23rd May. Was with my temporary bracket for the crank sensor and unfortunately by the end of the day the bottom on the sensor was worn through because the gap was wrong. Very hard to make up a bracket and get the gap perfect without removing the gearbox.

So was chasing Omex but they were awaiting stock. Got dingy'd for a bit but eventually out of the blue they sent me a quotation - they had stock again and £50 later I had one the next day.

CrankSensorBracket.jpg

Planning to take car out on the 20th August now at Knockhill.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Zetec sensors rule!! The coilpacks are pretty good as well! Fiesta rst coilpacks are the best though. I use zetec crank sensors on a astra with mappable management. Never ever let me down.

Clio Cup Racer
You going to the trackscotland knockhill next Saturday night?

Fitted a few new goodies to mine with a few more to go on but am looking forward to it.

Yeah mate your putting your stuff on my trailer remember. :D Will see you there.

Northloopcup - thats pretty interesting because the renault coil packs dont seem the best. Might swap it for a Zetec one. :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Zetec coilpack should allow you to use the renault plug leads, whereas fiesta rs turbo one is different. The plug leads clip on to them.

Easy to swap coilpacks with mappable management as long as the amount of wires going to the renault coilpack is the same as the Zetec one. 4 wires on the Zetec one if i remember right.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Yeah mate your putting your stuff on my trailer remember. :D Will see you there.

Northloopcup - thats pretty interesting because the renault coil packs dont seem the best. Might swap it for a Zetec one. :)

Just wanted to make sure you were still going.

Fitted an decatted yozza exhaust today so I'll be louder than you now :rasp:.

See you there mate.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Is the zetec sensor a straight swap for the Renault one other than changin the plug on the loom. or do you need aftermarket management to be able to use one?

Also i wouldnt rate the zetec coil pack as any more reliable than the Renault one, tbh ive hear of more zetec coil failures than Renault ones.

Clio Cup Racer
Just the plug on the loom to change physically.

Not sure about ECU's - Im using mine with a Omex. Might work with standard ecu or Magneti Marrelli?

I was still having problems with mine even with the Zetec sensor but Omex very kindly send me a new ecu to sensor shielded cable and it has been fine since I fitted that. Did a trackday at Knockhill with no problems.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Awesome, any pics of fixing points of the roll cage at the rear and behind the seats. Reason i ask is i've just bought a cup racer cage for my car :D.

Cheers

Clio Cup Racer
After building the fiesta the state of the clio inside was annoying me. Someone had stuck silver foil tape all over the place and it just looked a mess.

Ive removed all rubber grommets and replaced them with metal plates.

Removed all silver foil tape.

Removed plastic foot rest which was cracked and split.

Fixed seat mounting. The two mounts were about a inch too far apart so when the seat was fitted it was pulling the mounts in like /\ Moved them closer so that they sit properly. Wasn't easy but so much better.

New skateboard grip instead of old plastic mat / footrest.

photo4.gif

photo3.gif

photo1.gif

photo.gif

Found the second red button under the plastic mat / footrest. It went missing while when I was installing it - last seen sitting on the dash. :lol:

photo2.gif