ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Race Car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I have removed the 'hairdryer' in my car and bought one of these

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

I have bought 4 round vents to cut into the dash , and have ducting from them as well , as soon as they are cut into the dash , I am sending it off to be flocked , i'll rivet the dash cowling back onto the 'proper' side first lol , and then when its done i'll rivet the plaque back on the dash with the build number

I have wired the fan up to a battery and it blows quite well , so hopefully will work

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Can i have some pics of the gearbox casing please?

Mine has just come back from a rebuilt with a lower CW&P fitted

fcb1ec13.jpg

70914070.jpg

98292033.jpg

Mine has just come back from a rebuilt with a lower CW&P fitted

fcb1ec13.jpg

70914070.jpg

98292033.jpg

Thanks for that, very interesting. Can you show the attachment of the linkage please? Has this got a sadev LS diff fitted? Could i see a pic of the driveshaft area too please?

What clutch will you put on this?

Would also be interested to know what was the wear at the rebuild and general condition of the box and how many racing miles it had done since last rebuild, if you dont mind.

182cup & 172 racecar

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=180

I have bought 4 round vents to cut into the dash , and have ducting from them as well , as soon as they are cut into the dash , I am sending it off to be flocked , i'll rivet the dash cowling back onto the 'proper' side first lol , and then when its done i'll rivet the plaque back on the dash with the build number

I have wired the fan up to a battery and it blows quite well , so hopefully will work
Sounds an awful lot of faffing about,we just cut the original heater down so it just goes on the screen,job done.
51232.jpg

51234.jpg

51237.jpg

Last edited:
  182cup & 172 racecar

Sounds like a lot of faffing about to me,we just cut down the original htr box so it just goes onto the screen,job done.
51232.jpg

51234.jpg

51237.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
It's a race car,so what.The heater is only to demist the screen in case it rains,thats all.

Trust me,you do not get cold when racing.

Clio182Clio1.4,Hilux
When I was racing XR2s we used to smear fairly liquid on the inside of the windscreen to stop it steaming up on rainy days.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Where your pipes go through the bulkhead is where the rod is for the gear change on the sadev box , so we can't fit the standard heater

182cup & 172 racecar
When I was racing XR2s we used to smear fairly liquid on the inside of the windscreen to stop it steaming up on rainy days.

It was nice to have a heater last Friday at Brands,blooming freezing waiting in the pit lane,also helps cool the engine down after a race,put heater full, on the in lap.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
It's a race car,so what.The heater is only to demist the screen in case it rains,thats all.

Trust me,you do not get cold when racing.

It was nice to have a heater last Friday at Brands,blooming freezing waiting in the pit lane,also helps cool the engine down after a race,put heater full, on the in lap.

So a heater is a good idea then :D

It is a good idea in a rally car when your up on top of a welsh mountain in winter , especially for the navigator as he doesn't move much so can't keep warm , at least as a driver your going lock to lock every bend lol so that keeps you warm.

Here it show our dash that is totally different from the road car
107.jpg

And stripped out ready to be made right hand drive
006-5.jpg

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If you leave the heater / venting going to the dash vents, you have no need for a roof vent. High up weight versus low down weight is a no brainer.

Have you picked up a roof vent , they weigh about the same as a fag packet so would make no difference to the handling of a car ! no brainer lol

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If I try and drive LHD down a narrow Irish lane at over 100 mph i'll end up upside down in a field , alright popping down the shops on holiday , or even on a wide track , but nothiing comes naturally to me driving LHD , and I'm too old to learn !

It's not that big a job actually , I had to cut the holes in the bulkhead for the rack and pedal box , and weld on a new bracket for the steering column , you can see in the lower picture where I have marked it out ready , got a bracket from cliospares , everything is staying in place so I can swap it to LHD if needed when I come round to sell it.

182cup & 172 racecar
I must admit,I took to circuit racing LHD very quickly(didn't think I would though),but as you say everything happens a little quicker in rallying,and deep down I don't think I would cope in that nano second it takes to go wrong.Fair play.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
When you drive a car you know in the road where your asre should be , in the lanes we rally in you may only have 2ft either side of you , its so easy to get the car too far over , drop a wheel off the road and bye bye car !

182cup & 172 racecar
When you drive a car you know in the road where your asre should be , in the lanes we rally in you may only have 2ft either side of you , its so easy to get the car too far over , drop a wheel off the road and bye bye car !

I know,Iv'e done it big time.Went over six times and three of those were in the air,roof was undamaged.

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm fitting one of them as well , but the screen wont warm the inside of the car up

Put some thermal on mate ;) Is your name related to Marten (Godspeed) or is it purely coincidental that you've both got racers? How much it set you back for the car if you don't mind me asking ;) Presumably they didn't make the cup racer in LHD?

Have you picked up a roof vent , they weigh about the same as a fag packet so would make no difference to the handling of a car ! no brainer lol

But then the small section of the vent that goes to the dash probably weighs even less. And it will do a far better job of getting air into the cabin.

So:

1. It weighs less
2. The weight is further down
3. Its a better ventilation system
4. It wont leak
5. Its already there and so requires no work
6. It will keep you warm if you need it

Clio Cup Racer
Plan to lower the steering column in my car, just like it’s done on your car. Can you please measure how thick those spacers are? They can be seen in this picture just above the top of the gear lever.

Thanks in advance

Hey Ian,

They are actually longer in that pic than they are now. They are 1.5cm now. I wanted the steering wheel back up a bit as it was too low.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
But then the small section of the vent that goes to the dash probably weighs even less. And it will do a far better job of getting air into the cabin.

So:

1. It weighs less
2. The weight is further down
3. Its a better ventilation system
4. It wont leak
5. Its already there and so requires no work
6. It will keep you warm if you need it

A roof vent is not designed to demist the windscreen , all the roof vent is for is to cool the driver and co driver down in hot weather , they are especially good on dusty gravel rallies , if you wind the windows down you fill the car up with dust , closing the windows and using the roof vent cools you down with out the dust

A roof vent above your face does a much better job of cooling you down than a dash vent will

A roof vent is not designed to demist the windscreen , all the roof vent is for is to cool the driver and co driver down in hot weather , they are especially good on dusty gravel rallies , if you wind the windows down you fill the car up with dust , closing the windows and using the roof vent cools you down with out the dust

Well ill stick to the oe vent system, it works and is light.