ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Race Car

Clio Cup Racer
Been meaning to post pics of this car for ages, ive had it since late 2007 now :eek:

Phil House used to race the car in Clio BTCC Support races:

posterbmp.jpg

When I got the car in late 2007 from down South the car looked like this (was basically standard).

_RSL9456.gif

_RSL9174.jpg

_RSL8818.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

th_MOV00272.jpg

Took the car to Oulton Park in Nov 2007, it went pretty well. Then in early 2008 I went to take the car to an event and couldn't get it to start. Scratched my head for weeks but the problem turned out to be a faulty ecu. :dapprove:

So the project started. :evil::)

I wanted to move away from the Renaultsport stuff, if I had any problems with the car I knew it was going to be expensive and difficult to find parts.

So I decided to put a Omex 600 on it - meaning I could then put Cams and TB's on the car at a later date pretty easily.

I installed a Omex 600 and kept it totally seperate from the Renaultsport loom for easier troubleshooting. The Renaultsport loom still runs the indicators, brake lights, rear lights, window fan, ignition, starter etc... The Omex loom connects to everything in the engine.

This meant doing away with the Renaultsport Dash so I now have a Geartronics gear indicator. Spa fuel guage. Spa dual displays - oil/oil and volts/water (still to buy and fit). I have also setup shift lights - no tacho.

Removed the stupid fuse box the Clio Cup cars had. It was like something out a house. Was very glad to see it go.

There was fun and games getting the full throttle shift working with the Omex but in the end was easily sorted. The Omex was mapped at Dastek in Dalgety Bay making just under 200Bhp.

Full spec is:

Engine : 1998cc 16 valve Clio 182 engine. Modified Renault Sport Cup Engine Subframe allowing lower engine position . Heavy Duty Engine Mountings. Ram Air filter. De-catted. Omex 600.

Bodyshell : 2005 Lhd shell fully prepared and strenthened by Renault Sport inc multipoint weld in cage , no underseal etc and refinished inside / outside and underneath in 2k Renault Yellow. Complete Built car weights only 900kg.

Gearbox : Sadev 6 speed sequential , Flat Shift ( Full Throttle ) Dog Engagement with Limited slip diff.
Suspension : Renault Sport Cup spec non adjustable Bilstein Dampers. Modified Cup spec rear beam , Modified front Lower arms.

Brakes : Clio 182 Sport Calipers with Competition Mintex Discs front. Renault 182 discs rear. Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads front. PC5+ Rear.

Interior : Geartronics gear indicator. Spa fuel gage. Spa oil pres/temp. Spa volts/water temp. 1 x Corbeau Race seat , sabelt aircraft 3" Harness . Full manual Fire Extingisher system and not much else hence only 900kg.

Ready to race: Fire extingusher serviced. Belts in date. Front lights fitted in grill (requirement for Sports and Saloons series). Transponder fitted. Laptimer to be fitted.

Pics:

DSCF3194.jpg

P1000505.jpg

P1000502.jpg

P1000503.jpg

P1000504.jpg
P1000506.jpg

P1000507.jpg

P1000508.jpg

IMG_0625_TestSession_Trackday_FULL.jpg

Last edited:

S23

The Cleee-O
Sweeeet. Can't wait to see what else happens to this, looks mean as hell as a track car with the yellow and black! Love it :D

Si

RS Clio 172
I absolutely LOVE this car. remember looking at it on a site ages ago, can't remember what it was now. glad to see it on here.

Track 172cup
looks like a bit of a beast mate, might see you up at knockhill sometime when i finally get mine done

i would have expected it to be a bit under 900kg but i suppose the full cage and sequential box must bring it back up a bit

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
can you take a picture of the rear beam?? im intrested what renault did here.

Looking at mine it doesnt look like they have done anything to the actual axle itself. its just different shims on the stub axles to change the toe and camber.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Did the digit display above the LCD screen on your old dash ever display anything? Mine doesnt do anything and was just wondering if its ment too.

Clio Cup Racer
Nah it didn't display anything - didn't realise it was supposed to - to be honest. I thought it was just the LED's - it had a green and red led in there I think. So it you had a warning, say low oil pressure it would light up red.

Hated that the display didnt light up too. Ok the cars not meant for driving in the dark but if you were putting it away at night you couldn't see what gear you were in.

Thanks for all the comments btw guys. :)

Clio Cup Racer
Started stripping down the clio last night so I can make some changes over the winter. Took all the cabling out it which will be a big job - I want to get heat shrink stuff and make it all look better and professional plus more work on the R Sport loom as a lot of wires are redundant and the fuses and relays are still in a big ugly lump of plastic.

Broke the car at Donington - just as I was thinking of doing 1 or 2 more laps then finish the day the engine started rocking on acceleration/lifting off and gear changes. Suspected engine mount so packed in. Confirmed last night. Hope R Sport have replacements. :roll:

IMG00009-20101123-2049.gif

Stipping engine bay:

IMG00010-20101123-2341.gif

Wiring mess to sort out:

IMG00011-20101123-2341.gif

Also - check out my Renault hair dryer: :lol:

IMG00012-20101124-0936.gif

IMG00013-20101124-0936.gif

Will post more pics as I go. Planning to remove engine and the subframe. Clean the subframe up. Get some bits powdercoated. Fix engine steady. Possibly send gearbox away for a check - not sure.

Clio Cup Racer
Ive tidied up the Renaultsport loom. Removed a lot of wiring. Also removed the fuel/power steering relay. Im going to make a new seperate relay for this.

IMG00025-20101216-2125.gif

Found a nice sleeving for the wiring.

IMG00027-20101216-2126.gif

Omex / Switches / Instrument wiring to sort now.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I saw this update on another forum the other day.

Is the "hairdryer" any good at demisting. I assum thats what it was there for?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nice updates, I love these so much! :)

Out of interest what is the advantage of using a different fuel rail?

Clio Cup Racer
The hairdryer doesnt't work that well, better than nothing but defo not as good as a normaly cars blower system. Must use some power.

Dont think there is any advantage of that fuel rail. Was probably just so they could fit it with the briaded hose? Still doesnt have a return.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
car parts on white bedsheets!

Looks a stunning car. I love the pictures with the wheels off the ground :D Certainly will be keeping an eye on its progress. Is the plan to just use it for trackdays? Is it still with glass in the windows?

172 Race Car
Yes they do (or did when built/raced) Electric pump up by the battery, under wiper scuttle. Kind of like where the pollen filter is on a roadcar

Clio Cup Racer
Have binned the old battery tray and relocated the XAP unit.

IMG00031-20101218-1820.gif

IMG00034-20101218-1821.jpg

Also found this fuse box and negitive buzzbar. I had individual power cables coming from a distribution box to a fuse box and then out to the accessories so cuts down on the amount of cabling.

IMG00033-20101218-1821.gif

IMG00032-20101218-1820.gif

Monaco Blue Clio 172
Fuel rail was probably used because Renault Sport already had them sitting on the shelf from the FR2000 single seaters. They looked trick, were stronger in case of a big front end shunt and they use JIC -6 unions for better safety.

260% JCW
Love the car!

Is that a front strutt brace though?

Thought everyone said they were useless?

phase 1 172 sport
Love the car!

Is that a front strutt brace though?

Thought everyone said they were useless?

UNLIKE most clio crap on the market that is a clio cup racer OMP strut brace and is part of the front suspension bilstein set up they cost £200 i have a full new cup racer set up including the strut brace bought from R SPORT.

182 trackday racer
Plan to lower the steering column in my car, just like it’s done on your car. Can you please measure how thick those spacers are? They can be seen in this picture just above the top of the gear lever.

Thanks in advance

DSC00268.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7
Very nice mate. Can't believe how neat that bay is. good to see all the major electicals are now inside away from the rain. Saying that, it is a renault, so get some mastic in there ;)