ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 4 RS VS Fiesta ST EcoBoost

Seriously though. It will be a moment in history if it happens. Proper turning point. It'll be worth it happening just to see what happens.

This is my first post here on the forum so hello everyone!

I am going to buy a hot hatch soon and Clio RS and Fiesta ST are the main contenders so this thread was a really interesting read to me. I am waiting for a local dealer to provide Fiesta for a test drive but in the meantime I was lucky enough to try the new Clio RS 200 EDC (that's how it's called here where I live) and I can provide some first impressions.

I have to say straight away that I found the car amazing. I have tried a few hot/warm hatches before (Suzuki Swift Sport, Citroen DS3, the previous Clio RS) and none left me that impressed as the new Clio. Sure, I have read all the complains about it (AT, 5 doors, turbo-charged engine) but actually driving the car left all the worries behind. In low revs the car is a perfect daily driver - comfortable even with the Cup chassis (don't know how they did that - the car perfectly irons out all the holes and bumps on the local B-roads after winter) but as soon as you put the throttle down and switch to the Sport / Race mode, it changes the character and is really a hot hatch that sounds great and provides a lot of fun. It was a thrilling experience.

One thing that I did not like - and did not like quite a bit - are the mechanics of manual shifting. Don't confuse this with the AT / EDC itself - I have no problem with the fact that car isn't a manual (race cars aren't either though I don't want to get into this discussion). But the gear lever, though having plus and minus in the "right" direction (to the front for downshifts, to the back for upshifts), is not designed very well - it is plastic rather than leather and for upshifts, the lock on the lever (also made from plastic) is in the way. So that makes shifting with the gear lever unpleasant. As for the paddles, I simply think that having them mounted on the column is wrong / much worse than having them on the steering wheel. There were a couple of occasions where I wanted to upshift / downshift and the steering wheel was in an angle where I couldn't reach the paddles (surprisingly, this happened to me mostly in low speeds - say between gears 1 and 2 where I needed to avoid some hole or something - in low speeds you need to turn the steering wheel quite a bit which gets your hands out of position). Also, they have a weird plastic feel, are prolonged only upwards, not downwards and generally I think this thing could (and will) be "facelifted".

Other than that, the car is fantastic. The steering wheel is great (thick just about right), it provides good feedback from the wheels, is adequately stiff, the Cup chassis is a miracle, feeling more comfortable that the previous standard chassis yet very capable when cornering, I am just amazed by the all-aroundness of the car.

I am really curious about the new Fiesta ST and how it compares. Couldn't find anyone on the internet who has driven both cars and shared their thoughts - if you know someone please let me know.

TTRS & V50
Great little review there BoreKB. I also confused with steering column placed paddles, they should always be on the steering wheel IMO.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Nice promising write up IMO, am pretty sure you would adjust to the issues with manual shifting and forget about the points you have mentioned ?

Fiesta ST
Just been and placed my order after finally settling on what i wanted:

ST-2
Spirit Blue
Style Pack

Everything else is standard more or less so not many options to actually tick. Delivery date is end of june/early july, I'm sure it wont dissapoint when it arrives

Clio 200 Silverstone
There are a few ST's about where i live and they look horrible in the flesh, aston martin rip of front grill yuck plus it HUGE I could park my Clio 4 in that thing. all the new hot hatches are all starting to look the same now tbh, well th 5DR ones do anyone. the the KIA, Focus and the Seat all look the same bar a few small styling tweaks in the bumpers and some added curves. Compared my Clio 4 to a 12 reg Seat Ibiza and for the price of his 2.0 he has all the same as my 1.2 Mk4. they have the same back door handles and the back seats are similar.

Sorry I went of Topic a bit

891994_10151415931818178_131003811_o.jpg480183_10151415931963178_348798460_n.jpg563211_10151415932063178_1585737629_n.jpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

ST-2
Spirit Blue
Style Pack

Everything else is standard more or less so not many options to actually tick. Delivery date is end of june/early july, I'm sure it wont dissapoint when it arrives

​Are xenons an option on the Fiesta?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

ST-2
Spirit Blue
Style Pack

Nice. That's two of us now with the exact same spec ordered.

Don't hold your breath waiting for delivery, they're going to be quite a while.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Look forward to your reviews :)

nice to see people don't just stick to one brand, fiesta seems the better car atm.

​Plenty of pics please :)

Last Friday I drove Fiesta ST for about 50km. First impressions: the engine is strong and capable, yet, this car felt more civil and "warm" rather than "hot". I liked Clio RS more. I will write more when I have time.

Fiesta ST
Nice. That's two of us now with the exact same spec ordered.

Don't hold your breath waiting for delivery, they're going to be quite a while.

Saying that, the guy in dealer said they ordered one at the beginning of April and it turned up last week, about 4 weeks. But I'm guessing more and more orders will be being placed as they come in to dealers which will slow things down.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
18k for a "hot hatch" that will lose half it's value in 3 years, whilst not even having moved the game on much other than getting more comfortable... Crazy, 18k will buy some serious metal that's between a 1-2 years old.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ford are all over the place with deliveries tbh. I was quoted 2 months for my focus if I was to get one built. But the dealer said sometimes they turn up in 2 weeks others take 3 months. Seems the fiesta line is as bad as the focus

Ford are all over the place with deliveries tbh. I was quoted 2 months for my focus if I was to get one built. But the dealer said sometimes they turn up in 2 weeks others take 3 months. Seems the fiesta line is as bad as the focus

Same with most cars TBH. Depends on your spec. Seems like they're not necessarily built to order only. Which means random spec cars will get put into the schedule. Sometimes your car will already have been built. Sometimes it'll be built to order.

S2H

RS Clio 200
Fiesta ST: Drove it. Prefer current RS 200. Didn't order.

Clio 200T: Not Driven it. Looks fugly. Didn't order.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with that, Ibiza Cupra was doing what Renault/ford/Peugeot are just releasing now since 2009.

alternatively 18k could buy a M3, a tts, s3, 135i, GTI etc.

Shame the ibiza is about as involving to drive as a playstation game.

Oh, and hi-5 for spaktardery on comparing a brand new warm hatch to a secondhand M3. Well done.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Shame the ibiza is about as involving to drive as a playstation game.

Oh, and hi-5 for spaktardery on comparing a brand new warm hatch to a secondhand M3. Well done.

well you could always just do the ARB's, coilovers and bushes on the Ibiza, and adjust the steering via the diagnostic port.

but anyway, if you want to drive cheap warm hatches all your life be my guest. But when you can pick up a hot hatch with 250+ bhp that gain another 50hp with just a remap, have a decent build quality and interior albeit a year or so old, I don't know why you would want to buy these new generation of small "hot" hatches which have lost the chcharm of predecessors. All they now are is alot slower versions of their bigger brothers in the range.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
well you could always just do the ARB's, coilovers and bushes on the Ibiza, and adjust the steering via the diagnostic port.

but anyway, if you want to drive cheap warm hatches all your life be my guest. But when you can pick up a hot hatch with 250+ bhp that gain another 50hp with just a remap, have a decent build quality and interior albeit a year or so old, I don't know why you would want to buy these new generation of small "hot" hatches which have lost the chcharm of predecessors. All they now are is alot slower versions of their bigger brothers in the range.

Ahh, I see. So we should all be driving around in 250/300bhp remapped turbo'd hot hatches. Purchased secondhand of course.

I'll be sure to email my Nan and let her know.

I love the old "lost the charm" and "last of the old school" opinions that always surface in these discussions. You'd expect the posters of such comments to be driving a Model T, and yet it almost always turns out they drive relatively modern cars that were themselves deemed to have "lost the charm" of their forebears just a few short years ago.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Lols.