ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clio 197 or clio 182?

What would you rather have?

Votes: 607 39.8%
  • 172/182

Votes: 917 60.2%

• Total voters

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i just meant a bit wider like the front

They aint too shabby ;)

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01784.jpg

197 gaz against CS!!

Help me out 197 dudes!!!

B

Ben^

hmmm so cheaper price means it better? Interesting?!

LOL!

You have obviously not read what I said earlier!!

NO cheaper does not mean better but for an extra £6k+ there is just not enough of an improvment to make it a viable investment.

When I buy a car I got look at BANG for BUCK, what am I getting performance wise for the money I am spending. I have a Clio 172 as a run around and a 390bhp R33 GTST Skyline.

BOTH of those cars combined cost less than a 197. I just cant justify spending that amount of money on a hot hatch thats all.

Maybe in 5 to 6 years time when they are for sale for peanuts I will buy one as a run around, but for now the 1*2's lead the way in my eyes!! :D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tbh, the whole point of this thread isn't about the cost factor. it is about the two cars.

if we have to go into cost, well i bought my 182 for 12.5k. i can now get a 197 for the same price new. i know what i would buy and it wouldn't be the chav chariot ;)

B

Ben^

then the thread is pointless!!

its like comparing a Y reg Seat Leon Cupra to an 08 Leon Cupra R K1. There is no comparrison in the respects of styling, performance etc etc becuase they are 2 totally different cars!!!

You cant pick and choose what points you want to compare and then make your mind up. You have to look at the whole picture.

If cost was not a problem then I would have a Bugatti Veyron but unfortunatly it is :(

Did some joker just say the 197 is trying too hard? Floffle. FFS it's exactly the opposite IMO. Very understated about it's squat muscular stance. It doesn't try at all, and yet it still makes the 182 (and especially the 172) look like a noddy car TBQFH.

Artic Blime 182
I like both but there is something about the 182 that i really like.

But then there are parts on the 197 that are just awesome an make it look sweet.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Ben, no it isn't. it cuts out the bullshit. the two models, both being a clio and the RS will naturally get compared. it makes sense to compare new with old. Just like the williams/valver was compared to the original 172.

they are 2 totally different cars!!!

They are both Renault Clios, both top of the range in their time, both built at the Renaultsport factory. They're about the most valid comparison of two cars you could ever hope for! :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

its like comparing a Y reg Seat Leon Cupra to an 08 Leon Cupra R K1. There is no comparrison in the respects of styling, performance etc etc becuase they are 2 totally different cars!!!

You cant pick and choose what points you want to compare and then make your mind up. You have to look at the whole picture

.....but then if 'bang for buck' is a factor, a cheaper Willaims is even more cost effective. So therefore in your eyes better?

yes? ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
with what i have experienced with both my new 182 and new 197 from the same dealer, same salesman, same everything i can't see how any other sort of compariosn could be more fair or simpler tbh.

but as always it falls down to perosnal preference. basically who owns what.

B

Ben^

If I had a budget of £1500 then hell yes I'd go for a Williams, but I had a budget of £5k when I bought my car a few years ago.

BANG = Performance, Handling, Fuel Consumption etc

BUCK = Your overall budget

Always the way I buy a car :D

Ben the whole discussion isn't about what you want though. It's about which is the best car, no?

I own a 182 but if I wanted another Clio right now I'd have a 197 because it's a far better car in almost every way.

titanium 182,
while everyone is entitled to an opinion, would be good if you have actually driven a 197 for a period of time instead of making a subjective opinion lol ;)?

maybe you have???? then fair enough.

bit harsh to say 'it fails' when it is a very very capable hot hatch

worked for renault for a few years left last year
182 crude rude and above all a hoot to drive
driven a fair few 197's and have borrowed them for the weekend etc
very nice car awesome handling just doesnt want to let go
but they feel a bit tame in the performance department tbh
and you feel like your in 3rd gear when your in sixth better on the later cars no dought but if i were to buy another renault rs it would be an r26
the 197 in my opinnion would off been a great car with a different engine
but as it stands its more a good car, its better all round than a 182 bar 1 important thing its not as much fun to drive simple as that. and the whole reason i bought my 182 was for small cheap hot hatch thrills and nothing beats it on that score unless you buy old skool but thats another story. if i wanted a rattle free car i would buy a bmw 750il for about £3000 you pays your money and make your choices for me its the 182
if your thinking a 197 has more room well for sure it does but its still a 3 door and all 3 doors are a pain to get in and out of simple as that
having said all of this the 197 is still a great car worth the punt i just prefer the 182

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Roy, see i don't know now... i was tempted a while ago (i had a thread on it... but i kinda like the crispness of the silver/nimbus love tbh)

hmmm.... tempted to roll this beut right up to 100k. it owns. on 30.5k so far.

titanium 182,
while everyone is entitled to an opinion, would be good if you have actually driven a 197 for a period of time instead of making a subjective opinion lol ;)?

maybe you have???? then fair enough.

bit harsh to say 'it fails' when it is a very very capable hot hatch

i worked for renault for a few years left last year
182 crude rude and above all a hoot to drive
driven a fair few 197's and have borrowed them for the weekend etc
very nice car awesome handling just doesnt want to let go
but they feel a bit tame in the performance department tbh
and you feel like your in 3rd gear when your in sixth better on the later cars no dought but if i were to buy another renault rs it would be an r26
the 197 in my opinnion would off been a great car with a different engine
but as it stands its more a good car, its better all round than a 182 bar 1 important thing its not as much fun to drive simple as that. and the whole reason i bought my 182 was for small cheap hot hatch thrills and nothing beats it on that score unless you buy old skool but thats another story. if i wanted a rattle free car i would buy a bmw 750il for about £3000 you pays your money and make your choices for me its the 182
if your thinking a 197 has more room well for sure it does but its still a 3 door and all 3 doors are a pain to get in and out of simple as that
having said all of this the 197 is still a great car worth the punt i just prefer the 182

B

Ben^

Ben the whole discussion isn't about what you want though. It's about which is the best car, no?

I own a 182 but if I wanted another Clio right now I'd have a 197 because it's a far better car in almost every way.

No the discussion is about which is the better car, but again you have just taken the same approach as most people and said 197 becuase its better. (without going into why?)

Its also a lot more expensive which is why I said I prefer the 1*2's. If you could pay £6k for a 182 and £6k for a 197 then I would have the 197 without a doubt.

Well from what I've read of your posts mate, you seem to be basing your opinion on which is the better car, on your budget. The cost only comes into it if you're just deciding which is the better based on what you can afford. That's the way it seems to me anyway but if I'm wrong then apologies.

ST
No the discussion is about which is the better car, but again you have just taken the same approach as most people and said 197 becuase its better. (without going into why?)

Its also a lot more expensive which is why I said I prefer the 1*2's. If you could pay £6k for a 182 and £6k for a 197 then I would have the 197 without a doubt.

I've owned both, the 197 is better, FACT.

White clique
I think if someone was been through the wars and owned both (or all 3) and can legitimately say they have experienced living with them warts and all (my 197 is not perfect I admit that), then i respect their opinion. Having driven one for 10 minutes is by no means a good measure as to how good a car is, its merely an indication just like when you meet a new bird. You need to let a car grow on you.

Like Seb i paid 12k for my 182 when it was just under a year old, so i got to experience it when it was tight and new, in a direct comparison to my currrent 197 which i bought when 5 months old. I have watched both "grow up" and have had a chance to appraise the pros and cons of each. Everyone ends up focusing on the MPG on a 197, in reality this is about a fiver a tank. Once you factor in the lower insurance group of a 197, its about £100 a year extra to run. And for that, I am getting far far more for my money, i can tell thee.

My fave? Well its pictured below, it needs a cup pack, but an upgrade to a newer one is on the cards.

car21.gif

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Have to say that in looks I prefer the 197, but to drive I wouldn't think twice about going for a 182. It has the crucial feeling of 'being alive' that the 197 completely lacks. I'm sure most folks on here who have driven both know what I mean. :)

B

Ben^

Well from what I've read of your posts mate, you seem to be basing your opinion on which is the better car, on your budget. The cost only comes into it if you're just deciding which is the better based on what you can afford. That's the way it seems to me anyway but if I'm wrong then apologies.

Seems like a silly thread to me then if you are not going to look at ALL the points of each car, handling, performance, build quality, cost etc etc...

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
See, i totally don't get what people say about the 197 not having feel. i find the sterrign at say 5mph in the waitrose car park very light but when i am ripping it up past the 5k it is a thunder bolt and i find it a joy to drive.

yes the 182 is a right animal and also a joy to drive. But the 197 is not as souless as people make out. tbh, i find it is quite an epic experience. 7.5k is NICE :cool:

Alan10000456436 I am also tempted at an upgrade.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
I've owned both, the 197 is better, FACT.

What you MEANT to say there is that the 197 is unquestionably more technically capable than the 182. ;) Better is subjective according to how much weight you give to things like the increased build quality, bigger footprint on the road and more stable feeling. Others would place greater importance by the bonkers 205 GTi-type feeling, value-for-money and raw thrills.

titanium 182,
Have to say that in looks I prefer the 197, but to drive I wouldn't think twice about going for a 182. It has the crucial feeling of 'being alive' that the 197 completely lacks. I'm sure most folks on here who have driven both know what I mean. :)
i agree though this isnt about bashing the 197 but it feels like a limo compared to a 182
1 pet hate i have of any new design car is those horrid a pillars doesnt matter what make or model. they are always in the ruddy way of my vision :dapprove: suppose you could sum it up by saying if you want a comfy refined car with poke why would you want a hot hatch to start with ?

Renaultsport Clio 197
don't make look deeper into my photobucket basket :rasp:

proper MILF mobile ... lol

197.jpg

Slika1548.jpg

:eek::evil:

B

Ben^

What you MEANT to say there is that the 197 is unquestionably more technically capable than the 182. ;) Better is subjective according to how much weight you give to things like the increased build quality, bigger footprint on the road and more stable feeling. Others would place greater importance by the bonkers 205 GTi-type feeling, value-for-money and raw thrills.

Exactly :D

Except you just said if the 197 was £6k you'd have bought that. Motive fail TBH. Sounds like you're just defending whatever you can afford ;)

B

Ben^

EH? I am agreeing with him saying you have to take all the factors into concideration.

My friend bought a Megane Trophy in Aug 2008 and has recently tried to sell it and realised he is set to loose around £5k on what he paid for it.

All I was trying to say is that its not just the way a car makes you feel that needs to be addressed.

Never Mind....

Last edited by a moderator:
  White clique
EH? I am agreeing with him saying you have to take all the factors into concideration.

My friend bought a Megane Trophy in Aug 2008 and has recently tried to sell it and realised he is set to loose around £5k on what he paid for it.

All I was trying to say is that its not just the way a car makes you feel that needs to be addressed.

Never Mind....

If i offered to straight swap my 197 with yours today, would you do it? Thats the test as to which you prefer. If you would rather keep yours, then you really do prefer the 182 which is cool. If you'd take the 197, then it is about affordability.

I know 2 people who traded backwards - the previous owner of my 197 went back to a trophy, and a local guy on this forum jay197 had a 197 and also sold it for a trophy, and in neither case was it down to affordability, it was down purely to their desires from a car.

titanium 182,
If i offered to straight swap my 197 with yours today, would you do it? Thats the test as to which you prefer. If you would rather keep yours, then you really do prefer the 182 which is cool. If you'd take the 197, then it is about affordability.

I know 2 people who traded backwards - the previous owner of my 197 went back to a trophy, and a local guy on this forum jay197 had a 197 and also sold it for a trophy, and in neither case was it down to affordability, it was down purely to their desires from a car.

exactly there is no difinitive answer to this thread you like what you like
and thats it.
same thing why i like my tvr and most people cant stand them
its alll a matter of personal choice if you dont want dont get. you have to choose whats right for you and you only . the more choice the better the chance of finding something to suit your needs unfortunately these days there is far less choice imo

Mustang, S13, AX GT
If I had a budget of £1500 then hell yes I'd go for a Williams, but I had a budget of £5k when I bought my car a few years ago.

BANG = Performance, Handling, Fuel Consumption etc

BUCK = Your overall budget

Always the way I buy a car :D
so if you had a budget of £12k would you still pick the 182 or would you have bought a 197? Also, how the hell does fuel consumption come into 'BANG'?? if thats accurate then the toyota aygo has looaads of bang aswell, and would work well with a budget...

With regards to it trying to hard because it has wide arches, you do realise your front wings on your 182 are wide arches dont you? and the valver and williams also wide arched? does that mean every RS is trying to hard to be different to a normal clio?

I like how the 1*2s look but I love how the 197 looks
DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0626.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

B

Ben^

so if you had a budget of £12k would you still pick the 182 or would you have bought a 197? Also, how the hell does fuel consumption come into 'BANG'?? if thats accurate then the toyota aygo has looaads of bang aswell, and would work well with a budget...

With regards to it trying to hard because it has wide arches, you do realise your front wings on your 182 are wide arches dont you? and the valver and williams also wide arched? does that mean every RS is trying to hard to be different to a normal clio?

I like how the 1*2s look but I love how the 197 looks

If I had a £12k budget then I would get a megane 225!!! lol but anyway I am happy with my clio and my skyline i think 182s the better car, thats my opinion and not fact before people start having a go.

Cayman S Edition 1

:rasp:
If I could have afforded to keep the 197 along with the Trophy and 225, then I would. It was a fantastic motor, and I miss the luxury it offered.

We felt the Trophy would have been a better weekend car and use the 225 for the longer journeys.