ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Wheels set up for track

Clio 220 PH2
Hi All,
This question must get asked 1 million times but i am still working out how to search stuff without ending up just finding stuff for sale lol.
I have a 182 track car running on B14s with a pair of 15mm spacers on the front and i am looking at buying maybe 2 sets of wheels, one set of 15" (with a set of slicks on) and a set of 16" with R888s the brand of wheel i am going to get is Team Dynamics. Whats the best et to run on them ?
I am open to ideas should i just get 2 sets of 15" wheels or a mix. The big question is should i buy a set of 15" or stick with the 16". Its just for performance making the car go as fast as possible round the corners. I am in two minds i need someone to say Ben get theses haha.

Thanks all
Ben

Clio 220 PH2
They also look far better than any 15's imo. 16" turinis for the road and 16" superleggeras for the track for me now.
Well this is it for me as well the 16" do suit the car better but whether i get 2 sets one of each have slicks for the 15" and track tyres (R888) for the 16"s ? or is that a crazy thought lol ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well this is it for me as well the 16" do suit the car better but whether i get 2 sets one of each have slicks for the 15" and track tyres (R888) for the 16"s ? or is that a crazy thought lol ?
Totally agree mate. Mine drives no different on the 15's to the 16's either, or at least I can't feel it.
My reasons for going 16" all round though was based on using a shorter 5th gear, so the 16's will alter the gearing slightly over the 15's to drop the rpm. Even if it's only 100 rpm.
The bonus of this is that I can run the brembos up front without spacers. Something you have no choice with on 15's.

Clio 220 PH2
Totally agree mate. Mine drives no different on the 15's to the 16's either, or at least I can't feel it.
My reasons for going 16" all round though was based on using a shorter 5th gear, so the 16's will alter the gearing slightly over the 15's to drop the rpm. Even if it's only 100 rpm.
The bonus of this is that I can run the brembos up front without spacers. Something you have no choice with on 15's.
I thought that might be the case. I see why you have done that well every 100rpm adds up.
Now talking about Brembos are they off the 197-200 cup ? I have been told they can hold the heat within the caliper (heat soak) and have been recommended the wilwood 4 pot brakes, i am looking at upgrading the brakes on the car as well. What experience have you had with yours ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I thought that might be the case. I see why you have done that well every 100rpm adds up.
Now talking about Brembos are they off the 197-200 cup ? I have been told they can hold the heat within the caliper (heat soak) and have been recommended the wilwood 4 pot brakes, i am looking at upgrading the brakes on the car as well. What experience have you had with yours ?
Mine are off a Meg 225, but they're also the same as a 197/200. I have no experience with the brembos mate in terms of braking performance, but I've been in @Cub.'s car with them fitted and they were very impressive.
I'm also going with a custom 295x28 disc on a rotor and bell setup.

Clio 220 PH2
Mine are off a Meg 225, but they're also the same as a 197/200. I have no experience with the brembos mate in terms of braking performance, but I've been in @Cub.'s car with them fitted and they were very impressive.
I'm also going with a custom 295x28 disc on a rotor and bell setup.
O right thats fair enough. They look a good piece of kit and they are not silly money either. That sounds a nice set up i bet that saves a bit of weight on the rotational assembly ? What pad will you run with them ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
O right thats fair enough. They look a good piece of kit and they are not silly money either. That sounds a nice set up i bet that saves a bit of weight on the rotational assembly ? What pad will you run with them ?
Yeah saves circa 10kg overall! It's all unsprung weight as well so has bigger benefits to handling.
It'll be the cup racer pad which I think is ds1.11

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah saves circa 10kg overall! It's all unsprung weight as well so has bigger benefits to handling.
It'll be the cup racer pad which I think is ds1.11
Wow !!!! thats a lot i didn't think it would be so much but then thinking about it when you have two normal disks put together they aren't the lightest thing in the world.
They are good pads i think they use them on the current Clio Cup race car don't they ? Are you keeping the rears stock discs ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wow !!!! thats a lot i didn't think it would be so much but then thinking about it when you have two normal disks put together they aren't the lightest thing in the world.
They are good pads i think they use them on the current Clio Cup race car don't they ? Are you keeping the rears stock discs ?
Yeah it soon all adds up mate!
Yep that's what I'm led to believe too regards the pads.
The rears are standard, but not......lol! Nice little custom conversion on those! Ds2500's at the back too.

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah it soon all adds up mate!
Yep that's what I'm led to believe too regards the pads.
The rears are standard, but not......lol! Nice little custom conversion on those! Ds2500's at the back too.
Totally agree mate when i was stripping mine down its amazing how all the kilos soon add up.
Good pads they are
Haha like your style i bet theres a little weight saving there as well :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Totally agree mate when i was stripping mine down its amazing how all the kilos soon add up.
Good pads they are
Haha like your style i bet theres a little weight saving there as well :smile:
I took over 130kgs out of my cup, so yeah it can all soon add up!
The rears are mainly for reliability mate tbh. It's a bigger bearing conversion as the standard size rears are shite.

Clio 220 PH2
Thats a good weight saving i think i have taken 200kgs out of mine but of course i have the cage to fit and what not so i think it will be more like 130-150kg when its all back in. It helped mine was a FF plenty of weight to get out of it. Also i did weight stuff on bathroom scales so not the most accrete but a ruff idea haha
O right i see thats fair enough when i changed my rears i put the genuine ones on just for the bearing and put Ferodo DS performance pads in, they seem ok but i would like to put something more performance oriented on it when they need changing

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thats a good weight saving i think i have taken 200kgs out of mine but of course i have the cage to fit and what not so i think it will be more like 130-150kg when its all back in. It helped mine was a FF plenty of weight to get out of it. Also i did weight stuff on bathroom scales so not the most accrete but a ruff idea haha
O right i see thats fair enough when i changed my rears i put the genuine ones on just for the bearing and put Ferodo DS performance pads in, they seem ok but i would like to put something more performance oriented on it when they need changing
Yeah always more to get out of the FF's mate.

My bearings failed, so I replaced them with snr bearings (oe fitment) and they'd failed after 25 miles max!! That's when the big bearing conversion was decided on.