ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 making odd noises over 50 mph

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,

The Clio started making a low pitched whinning noise on the motorway about a week ago, if you imagine something kind of similar to rear bearings but sounds like it's coming from the front. The noise was only happening over approx 60 mph originally.

However yesterday I drove to Sheffield and then Manchester airport and things started to sound a lot worse (louder and at lower speeds, probs about 45-50 plus. Also got some random higher pitched noises a couple of times too.

Steering and revving appear to be normal (although I'm no expert but feel fine ATM) and the noise doesn't seem to be better or worse when cornering or going straight.

Definitely not rear bearings as just been changed and also had new discs and pads since the noise started which didn't affect things. Car is approaching 60k.

Any ideas what this could be, realise this isn't particularly descriptive that's all I have to go on

Cheers, Matt

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Sounds like wheel bearings and it's coming from the front ?

First thing I'd probably check would be ....... oh go on, you have a go ;)

If it's not that.. check CV joints, top mounts, gearbox ? Could be a lot of things TBH...

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks, just going to have to nurse it back from Manchester and then take it to a garage. Just thought it might be something obvious so I would know whether it's ok to drive or not.

Cheer Matt

Goddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So turns out it was the rear bearings again... Garage said it was a faulty part and manufacturer covered cost of new part and labour so sorted for free.